The Oil Industry (1 Viewer)

LafourcheSaint

Silvergun Superman
Reaction score
People like to bash the oil industry.

But doesnt a great majority of our local economy have a huge investment in the oil industry?

People bash pharmaceutical companies but still have to take medicine every day.

What's your point?

People like to bash the oil industry.

But doesnt a great majority of our local economy have a huge investment in the oil industry?

Nah...Blanco's been fighting for our royalty shares for awhile...our economy is based off of selling crawdads..shrimps...tap dancing on Bourbon street...and scalping Saints tickets...:hihi:

Well, I work for the largest Drilling contractor in the world. Up here in Alaska the oil companies give back tons of money to the state. Our state economy would simply collapse without them. Not to mention the insane amount of environmental and safety responsibilites that BP and Conoco-Phillips push up here. You Lower 48'ers have no idea what it is like up here, yet you still keep us from drilling for more oil in our state. Awesome.

One caveat though. Exxon can go and. . . well, I don't want to get banned but you get the idea. They have dragged the money they owe the state from the Exxon Valdez spill through the courts and have yet to truly pay a dime. Everytime y'all fill up at an Exxon, think of Alaska's wildlife and drive on to the next station.

Well, I work for the largest Drilling contractor in the world. Up here in Alaska the oil companies give back tons of money to the state. Our state economy would simply collapse without them. Not to mention the insane amount of environmental and safety responsibilites that BP and Conoco-Phillips push up here. You Lower 48'ers have no idea what it is like up here, yet you still keep us from drilling for more oil in our state. Awesome.

One caveat though. Exxon can go and. . . well, I don't want to get banned but you get the idea. They have dragged the money they owe the state from the Exxon Valdez spill through the courts and have yet to truly pay a dime. Everytime y'all fill up at an Exxon, think of Alaska's wildlife and drive on to the next station.

Shouldn't we fill up at every Exxon possible so that they will have the money to pay your state?

Hey, don't group me together in the oil-rage crowd. I worked for many years for an oil and gas exploration company. Heck, I don't care if they drill wells in Denali Park.

Hey, don't group me together in the oil-rage crowd. I worked for many years for an oil and gas exploration company. Heck, I don't care if they drill wells in Denali Park.

He didn't put you in any group.

But we put you in a different one. Don't worry.

LOL! I think I would want to draw the line though! See, no one up here cares about ANWR because Alaskans understand it is a barren Arctic wasteland devoid of any value. It is NOT the pristine wilderness I see on rediculous commercials in the Lower 48.

Denali however is one of the most breathtakingly beautiful locations on the planet.

LOL! I think I would want to draw the line though! See, no one up here cares about ANWR because Alaskans understand it is a barren Arctic wasteland devoid of any value. It is NOT the pristine wilderness I see on rediculous commercials in the Lower 48.

Denali however is one of the most breathtakingly beautiful locations on the planet.

Agreed. Alot of folks in the "lower 48" don't understand exactly just how big Alaska is. Intellectually they know that if you cut Alaska in half, Texas is the third largest state, and whatnot, but I think there is a lack of comprehension about just how big that is (myself included really), and how much of that space is unused by anyone or anything.

Agreed. Alot of folks in the "lower 48" don't understand exactly just how big Alaska is. Intellectually they know that if you cut Alaska in half, Texas is the third largest state, and whatnot, but I think there is a lack of comprehension about just how big that is (myself included really), and how much of that space is unused by anyone or anything.

Except for the forgotten animals that get the worst of the development and spills.:9:

Except for the forgotten animals that get the worst of the development and spills.:9:

Sorry Geauxboy but you could not be more wrong. Just one example: Since oil development began on Alaska's north slope the porcupine Caribou herd that uses the land for migration and calving has increased in size by over 200%. I feel like that caveman in those Geico commercials "Next time try doing a little research."

But if you don't take my word for it, you know an actual Alaskan who spends an incredible amount of time in the region and sees first hand the sheer lunacy of effort the oil companies go to to protect the environment, then I don't know who's you will take. Perhaps a special interest group or environmental lobbyist out for their own personal gain?

Sorry Geauxboy but you could not be more wrong. Just one example: Since oil development began on Alaska's north slope the porcupine Caribou herd that uses the land for migration and calving has increased in size by over 200%. I feel like that caveman in those Geico commercials "Next time try doing a little research."

But if you don't take my word for it, you know an actual Alaskan who spends an incredible amount of time in the region and sees first hand the sheer lunacy of effort the oil companies go to to protect the environment, then I don't know who's you will take. Perhaps a special interest group or environmental lobbyist out for their own personal gain?

Everytime y'all fill up at an Exxon, think of Alaska's wildlife and drive on to the next station.

:dunno:

So the spills don't affect the wildlife? I would have a very hard time believing that the oil industry cared at all for the wildlife until enough support was garnished against them and lawyers got involved.

Yeah I hate Exxon. I'll never be shy about that. That is one oil company out of dozens who do business in Alaska. This proves what exactly?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom