The Oil Industry (1 Viewer)

Again, what exactly are you guys arguing? I know for a fact that BP cares about Alaska's environment, because I work with them and I see it literally every single day. I can't even urinate on the pad without some yay-hoo company rep spotting me and writing up a citation.

Regardless of all of this, even if we were raping the natural beauty of our pristine wilderness or however that crappy Simpsons movie put I don't see how it is the business of any Lower 48'er.

This thread reminds me of the candidate who makes the big environmentalist speech, then climbs into a big SUV and drives away...or the Louisiana/Mississippi/Texas native who bashes Halliburton for political reasons without considering how many people in their state work for Hallburton...etc, etc, etc...

Yeah I hate Exxon. I'll never be shy about that. That is one oil company out of dozens who do business in Alaska. This proves what exactly?
You said the space is unused by anyone or anything
Geauxboy said except for the forgotten animals who bear the brunt of spills and development
You said geauxboy could not be more wrong (thus effectively saying that animals don't get affected by spills and development)

Yet you earlier said that Exxon isn't paying, that we should think of Alaska's wildlife when filling up at Exxon -- almost definitely a reference to the Valdez spill directly effecting the Alaskan wildlife.

Those 2 statements are in contrast.

(I know your point was that "BP cares" but BP isn't the totality of the Oil Industry.)

There are animals in ANWR. History has already proven that development will either not affect them at all, actually help them, or once every 40 years will be severly damaged. With the amount of jobs and money involved in the discussion those are odds I will take every single time.

The Exxon Valdez was an oil spill in the ocean. There has never been an environmental impact onshore of it's magnitude in Alaska since the begining of development.

In the past, the oil companies got away with murder. That is just not the case up here anymore. Exxon ruined everyone's free ride. It may be different in the states, but up here in Alaska we do in fact care about our wilderness and wildlife. Oil development and environmentalism are not mutually exclusive. No matter how baddly lobbyists want you to believe so.

There are animals in ANWR. History has already proven that development will either not affect them at all, actually help them, or once every 40 years will be severly damaged. With the amount of jobs and money involved in the discussion those are odds I will take every single time.

The Exxon Valdez was an oil spill in the ocean. There has never been an environmental impact onshore of it's magnitude in Alaska since the begining of development.

In the past, the oil companies got away with murder. That is just not the case up here anymore. Exxon ruined everyone's free ride. It may be different in the states, but up here in Alaska we do in fact care about our wilderness and wildlife. Oil development and environmentalism are not mutually exclusive. No matter how baddly lobbyists want you to believe so.

I am all for drilling. But thatn again I want to drill here short term and find a substitute for oil long term.

Yes, the oil industry is good for La.

For humans, but no regard for the animals that will be most affected by human interaction. Either case, the money is made for the humans at the possible cost to animals. Of course you'll take those odds. You're not affected the way they are. A spill? You'll move on to the next rig and keep plugging away. The animals on the other hand will either die from the pollution and lack of digestible food and water, develope all sorts of problems or be chased from an area that was their haven only to be forced to invade another species' area and have to fight for anything they can get.

The way you make it sound, we should all be so lucky to have one in our backyards.

For humans, but no regard for the animals that will be most affected by human interaction. Either case, the money is made for the humans at the possible cost to animals. Of course you'll take those odds. You're not affected the way they are. A spill? You'll move on to the next rig and keep plugging away. The animals on the other hand will either die from the pollution and lack of digestible food and water, develope all sorts of problems or be chased from an area that was their haven only to be forced to invade another species' area and have to fight for anything they can get.

The way you make it sound, we should all be so lucky to have one in our backyards.

Man>Beast

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

Just curious would you be willing to drill if a solution could be attained in 20-30 years?

Man>Beast

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

Just curious would you be willing to drill if a solution could be attained in 20-30 years?

I'm the type of person that believes there is always a way to do something. If there is a viable solution, I am willing to entertain it, but I am very reluctant to believe that there will ever be a solution to sasify everyone (animals included).

History has already proven your argument to be invalid. The animals of Alaska's North Slope have flourished since oil development. Why would this change all of a sudden. Besides, of course animals don't mean as much as humans do. There is a reason we are the top of the food chain.

As for the backyard, well yeah I would love a rig there but it wouldn't do me much good. Alaskans do not own the mineral rights to their property. Instead the state devides up all the profits generated by their oil investments and gives them to the residents of Alaska. It is called the permanent dividend fund and it straight up rocks.

History has already proven your argument to be invalid. The animals of Alaska's North Slope have flourished since oil development. Why would this change all of a sudden. Besides, of course animals don't mean as much as humans do. There is a reason we are the top of the food chain.

As for the backyard, well yeah I would love a rig there but it wouldn't do me much good. Alaskans do not own the mineral rights to their property. Instead the state devides up all the profits generated by their oil investments and gives them to the residents of Alaska. It is called the permanent dividend fund and it straight up rocks.

I think the Valdez is a valid answer to that. Besides, history is history and is not the future.

You have just proven your side of the animal debate by giving them no merit on this earth, yet you boast how much is being done for them. :dunno: Make up your mind. Do they matter or not? Or is it only an issue when the animal isn't on your plate?

There's a lot we can do better to help animals. The fact is they simply aren't as important as humans are. Don't believe me? Kill a person then kill a deer and find out which one gets you in more trouble. Every step of progress requires we look at the balance of the lives of animals vs. the comfort of humans, and we almost always choose humans. Yet sometimes people will just pick up a cause that really doesn't personally effect them at all, and choose animals.

You want to save the furry animals? Stop buying products made in factories and sold in stores that clear land. Tear your house down and dedicate the land as a park or refuge. Quit your job and make less money as a park ranger or game warden. Stop eating hamburgers, etc....

I'm saying you can use animal impact as a reason to forgo jobs and indusrty in Louisiana if you so choose. Just don't try to make that decision for me and for Alaska.

The reason I am cavalier about the wildlife up here is because I can actually see first hand the benefits they recieve from oil development. I can't re-iterate this enough. This isn't second or third hand information you are getting here. I am actually here at the Arctic Ocean I can see it myself. I guess you could just disregard me or consider me a liar, but why would I do that? I live here and love this state as much as anyone. Why would I belong to an industry destroying my state?

I'm saying you can use animal impact as a reason to forgo jobs and indusrty in Louisiana if you so choose. Just don't try to make that decision for me and for Alaska.

The reason I am cavalier about the wildlife up here is because I can actually see first hand the benefits they recieve from oil development. I can't re-iterate this enough. This isn't second or third hand information you are getting here. I am actually here at the Arctic Ocean I can see it myself. I guess you could just disregard me or consider me a liar, but why would I do that? I live here and love this state as much as anyone. Why would I belong to an industry destroying my state?

Where are you exactly? I want to see where you are on a map of Alaska just to fully appreciate the 60 degree weather I'm looking at out my window.

the nuclear industry is similar in that regard, i've been to several nuclear plant sites that are also, wild life perserves where wild life roam free in abundance and lakes are annual stocked for fishing.

Yes in the past there have been some bad things happen between energy and environment, but i think the two have come a lot farther then most people think, and definately as lot father then what many in politics and the media want you to believe.

government oversite has a role to play, but the two can exist very well with each other in this day and age.

Where are you exactly? I want to see where you are on a map of Alaska just to fully appreciate the 60 degree weather I'm looking at out my window.

I would like to visit the Denali area so I could camp the night in the old bus where Chris McCandless died, that kid was nuts.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom