The one thing Sean Payton absolutely cannot do with the Drew Brees situation (1 Viewer)

He cannot activate him and then start Bridgewater.

First that's disrespect to arguably the greatest quarterback to ever play the game. Just picture in your head Drew on the sidelines, probably with his helmet on. Yeah that won't feel good watching that I can guarantee you.

Most importantly, what do you think Teddy is gonna feel out there thinking what if I get off to a bad start in this game? What if we are down a touchdown late in the game?

There is absolutely no need to create this situation.

This nonsensical talk about treating this like it's a preseason game and let him play a couple of series. Jesus no. That's not how any of this works.

Either go all in with Brees or sit him another week.

Both Payton and Brees said they are fine with it. So I'll defer to them.

Maybe he tell them it will be like preseason and both will get reps. But they need to include Taysom Hill in the team intro as the starting QB to really confuse Arizona.

No, I don't. Brees was interviewed after the Chicago game by CST (Cox Sports). Payton has mentioned it also.

No, I don't. Brees was interviewed after the Chicago game by CST (Cox Sports). Payton has mentioned it also.

I did see the Mike Nabors interview where he asked Drew for a status update but Drew doesn't say anything about being the backup.

Yeah I just can't envision Drew utter the words "yeah I'm fine if they activate me but don't start me".

Last edited:
Don't use your imaginary quotes to put words in my mouth.
These were your responses:

"Both Payton and Brees said they are fine with it. So I'll defer to them."

"On Brees being active for next game, but not necessarily starting. They both said it is a possibility."

I thought that was pretty clear and unambiguous.

You're not mistaken about the rule existing. It did at one time. But your timing is way off.

The rule was implemented in 1991. You were allowed to carry an emergency QB who would not count against the 45 man active roster. But if he played before the 4th Qtr, the other 2 could not come back into the game.

In 2011, the NFL increased the active roster to 46 and did away with the 3rd QB rule. So it no longer exists.

Maybe that will clear it up some for you. :)
Yup! Thanks a bunch!

These were your responses:

"Both Payton and Brees said they are fine with it. So I'll defer to them."

"On Brees being active for next game, but not necessarily starting. They both said it is a possibility."

I thought that was pretty clear and unambiguous.
I never said that Brees said, "yeah I'm fine if they activate me but don't start me". Those are your misrepresentation of the comments that were made.

Goodnight.

I'm sure Brees would not take it as a sign of disrespect. This is a business and were trying to get back to the playoffs. Probably a good idea to keep Drew active until other teams get use to seeing Bridgewater. Eventually; when Bridge is getting schemed real good, then we drop in the Brees Calvary to bail him out.

I think Brees is active, but I doubt he plays for two reasons. First it’s really pushing the timeline and he just started throwing with an nfl ball last week or so. He’s not completely back into throwing shape I’m sure. Second, Brees hasn’t had any meaningful practice yet. We are talking 5 weeks of not practicing, losing the timing groove with his WRs, all of that. Putting Brees in there at this point is probably less effective than having Bridgewater play. Brees can get some practice in this week to start getting back into game shape and routine, then be full go and practice after the break. Also Bridgewater is 5-0 going against a team that is beatable. There is simply no need to rush. Work Brees back in slowly, then once the bye week practice starts let him get back up to speed.

You didn't understand anything I said and I don't understand why you even starting talking about being on IR. Nobody even remotely mentioned that.

I said Payton can't activate Drew only to be the backup to TB against Arizona if they feel he's ready to be activated.

If he's activated, he starts, end of story.

That's my point.

Not sure why you typed all those words.
I think PJ understood your opinion pretty well. I'm of the belief that Payton can and will activate Brees only to be the backup to TB against the Cards. IMO, Payton knows when he'll start Brees (I think he wants to wait until after the bye) and I think he wants to use that to his advantage over an opponent. In fact, I think he'll wait until the last possible minute to name the starter for the Atlanta game. So, to refute your opinion that if he's activated, he starts....we'll know what Sean Payton, the $13 million dollar, superbowl winning offensive genius head coach, decides to do when he does it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom