The Outsider (HBO Stephen King Adaptation) (1 Viewer)

Booker

All-Pro
Reaction score
Based on a relatively new Stephen King book, The Outsider, this will be the new HBO Sunday night series after Watchmen. Described as a horror/mystery, the premise is that the local little league coach is arrested for a brutal rape/murder of one of his players, and the evidence seems overwhelming, yet he claims he is innocent with an alibi...

Ironically, I just bought the book last week without knowing it was being adapted (I was stuck at the Las Vegas airport with a three hour delay, so I went to buy a book, and it seemed to hit the sweet spot in length -- not too short, but not too long). I'm still in the early chapters, but now i have a dilemma -- do I finish the book and spoil the show, or watch the show and spoil the book?

Either way, the show looks really good and has a great cast.

Based on a relatively new Stephen King book, The Outsider, this will be the new HBO Sunday night series after Watchmen. Described as a horror/mystery, the premise is that the local little league coach is arrested for a brutal rape/murder of one of his players, and the evidence seems overwhelming, yet he claims he is innocent with an alibi...

Ironically, I just bought the book last week without knowing it was being adapted (I was stuck at the Las Vegas airport with a three hour delay, so I went to buy a book, and it seemed to hit the sweet spot in length -- not too short, but not too long). I'm still in the early chapters, but now i have a dilemma -- do I finish the book and spoil the show, or watch the show and spoil the book?

Either way, the show looks really good and has a great cast.

i will try it. i really like castle rock on hulu.

Jason Bateman has been in some great roles recently.

watching the the trailer I kept thinking about True Detective. I'm in. King has been on fire again lately. Is it just me or does it seem like his screen releases often come in bursts? It2, Doctor Sleep and this.

Last edited:
Anyone else watching this? Pretty good so far. Not great, but pretty good.

I put the book down so my wife and I could watch the show together and not know what was going to happen, but I picked it back up a few episodes in and have been reading along with the show, just making sure not to get ahead. The main plot lines are pretty much the same, but the show made a number of changes with supporting characters and have added a lot.

One thing I noticed is that the half way point in the show is about 65-70% the way through the book, so the show is going to stretch out the ending a bit from the book. I kind of wonder if that's intentional, as one of the regular criticisms with Stephen King books is that he rushes his endings.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom