The Parcells coaching tree (1 Viewer)

To Parcells' credit, his demise in Dallas was just what the doctor ordered. It's never been said publicly that I know of, but he had very little control over a lot of personnel decisions in Dallas that he should have had control over. The Quincy Carter draft pick was all JJ. The T.O. thing was all JJ. Parcells wanted to be the man, and Jones was never going to have that. Parcells just looked unhappy his whole tenure in Dallas.

Bingo. I have always respected Parcells' ability to turn teams around and get them going in the right direction in a big way. I don't blame him for walking away from the mess that Jerry Jones and the Cowboys are. All the money in the world (and Jerry has a lot of it) won't make that franchise any better IMHO because they're overhyped, overrated, over exposed, you name it. :rant:

Okay... I feel better after that rant. :hihi:

Payton learned under Parcells and Williams learned under Buddy Ryan. Pretty good pedigrees right there.

I believe Payton was Parcell's qb coach not OC. How did the thread go that long without mentioning it?

Anyway I still wouldn't put him directly under the Parcells tree. He seems more like he's cut from Holmgren tree

nm: he was the passing game coordinator under Bill

Last edited:
Parcells is a good coach; he took the Cowboys to the playoffs with Quincy Carter at QB and Troy Hambrick at RB.

I believe Payton was Parcell's qb coach not OC. How did the thread go that long without mentioning it?

Anyway I still wouldn't put him directly under the Parcells tree. He seems more like he's cut from Holmgren tree

nm: he was the passing game coordinator under Bill

I'm trying to remember, but I thought Payton also had the title "Assistant Head Coach." I don't think he ever had the title OC, but it was pretty clear that that's what he was.

To Parcells' credit, his demise in Dallas was just what the doctor ordered. It's never been said publicly that I know of, but he had very little control over a lot of personnel decisions in Dallas that he should have had control over. The Quincy Carter draft pick was all JJ. The T.O. thing was all JJ. Parcells wanted to be the man, and Jones was never going to have that. Parcells just looked unhappy his whole tenure in Dallas.

Correct. When he said, "if I am cooking the meal, I should be able to shop for the ingredients", he was referring to the lack of personnel decisions he controlled.

And by the way, Parcells won 2 SBs.

I agree. Didn't Parcells win just one SuperBowl? Yes, I think he took the Pats to the SB too, but they lost didn't they... or did they even make it that far. He did nothing with the Jets nor the Cowboys. As a GM with the Dolphins though, it looks like he's doing a decent job.

He took the Jets to the NFC Championship, and they would have been good the next year if Testaverde didn't tear his Achillies.

Parcells takes teams that suck and makes them better. Maybe he is better at GM than Coach, but he's a pretty good coach too.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom