The Parcells coaching tree (2 Viewers)

Wahoo

miles away
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
It can get a bit confusing and awfully incestuous, assigning coaches to distinct trees. Payton, for instance, coached four years under Coughlin in New York before moving to Parcells for three years in Dallas.

Maybe I'm mistaken, but didn't Payton coach under Fassell and was already in Dallas when Coughlin took over the Giants in 2004?

Maybe I'm mistaken, but didn't Payton coach under Fassell and was already in Dallas when Coughlin took over the Giants in 2004?
Pretty sure you're right. Does Fassell have any connection to Parcells? Nothing comes to mind off the top of my head.

parcels = the most overrated football name in the history of the game.

IMHO some of his coordinators made the teams he was famous for.

He is better at personele than x's and o's

Much better in the front office than on the sideline

Again, just my opinion

Parcells was gone from the Giants before Fassel came abord. When Parcells left, Ray Handley was coach. Or, as he's known on the Giant boards R** H******. Payton was the OC under Fassel.

Again, just my opinion

No, Mike Ditka holds that distinction.

I appreciate Parcells' career much more now that he's not in Dallas anymore, and he's running the show in Miami.

Again, just my opinion

I don't think he's overrated. I think he burns out too quick and the system he left in place can't survive him.

Again, just my opinion

He's turned around every team he's been too and done it quickly. You are right though about personnel. He knows what players to go after typically. Build the OLine/DLine (His first two picks with Miami were LT and DE) and he does it right with QBs as well.

I always have a problem with QBs who come out early. It's the one position I would never draft a junior at early in the draft if I were in charge of a team. Look at all the great ones in the league. Can't find many successful QBs that came out as juniors. Ben Roethlisburger is the only one that comes to my mind right now.

Parcells had put in a good word for Payton when he was one of the candidates for the Saints head coaching job. Somehow/someway, Parcells and Payton have a connection.

Again, just my opinion
I agree. Didn't Parcells win just one SuperBowl? Yes, I think he took the Pats to the SB too, but they lost didn't they... or did they even make it that far. He did nothing with the Jets nor the Cowboys. As a GM with the Dolphins though, it looks like he's doing a decent job.

Parcells had put in a good word for Payton when he was one of the candidates for the Saints head coaching job. Somehow/someway, Parcells and Payton have a connection.

Payton was Parcells offensive coordinator in Dallas for a year

I recall reading an interview where Payton says that Parcells strongly recommended that Payton pursue Brees in free agency.

I agree. Didn't Parcells win just one SuperBowl? Yes, I think he took the Pats to the SB too, but they lost didn't they... or did they even make it that far. He did nothing with the Jets nor the Cowboys. As a GM with the Dolphins though, it looks like he's doing a decent job.

won 2 superbowls with the giants. Turned around the bottom feeder patriots and took them to 1 superbowl. Turned another terrible franchise Jets team into a playoff team. And had some success with the Cowboys after Campo ran them into the ground. Parcells is certainly one of the best coaches of the last three decades. It's just that like Larry Brown in basketball, he gets bored or burned out after just a few seasons.

won 2 superbowls with the giants. Turned around the bottom feeder patriots and took them to 1 superbowl. Turned another terrible franchise Jets team into a playoff team. And had some success with the Cowboys after Campo ran them into the ground. Parcells is certainly one of the best coaches of the last three decades. It's just that like Larry Brown in basketball, he gets bored or burned out after just a few seasons.

To Parcells' credit, his demise in Dallas was just what the doctor ordered. It's never been said publicly that I know of, but he had very little control over a lot of personnel decisions in Dallas that he should have had control over. The Quincy Carter draft pick was all JJ. The T.O. thing was all JJ. Parcells wanted to be the man, and Jones was never going to have that. Parcells just looked unhappy his whole tenure in Dallas.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom