The Pelicans are dead to me (2 Viewers)

Bill

Still Leaking Gold
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
In some ways I am glad that we won't have to endure the mauling that would have taken place if we had managed to grab the #8 Seed for the playoffs.
But I just can't get over how hard professional basketball fails in New Orleans. I want to get behind any team that is attached to my city even when it is a sport that I'm not all that intrigued by.

I just want to see them win. Maybe not every game (of course)... but at least enough to think that someday we might actually have a winner on our hands. So yes, they are dead to me now.

Until 2021.

2fya

Bench Warmer
Reaction score
It seems like every game i watch, they are getting hammered by 20 and not even trying to get any offensive rebounds. Someone chunks up a 3, and the other 4 guys just start jogging to the other side of the court to play defense.

Not exactly a good product to watch. I do not think new orleans will be able to keep any big stars once their rookie contracts expire. Its just inevitable, and you can't build a team without stars staying.

OP
Bill

Bill

Still Leaking Gold
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
It seems like every game i watch, they are getting hammered by 20 and not even trying to get any offensive rebounds. Someone chunks up a 3, and the other 4 guys just start jogging to the other side of the court to play defense.

Not exactly a good product to watch. I do not think new orleans will be able to keep any big stars once their rookie contracts expire. Its just inevitable, and you can't build a team without stars staying.
I can almost accept the occasional blowout when we aren't shooting or rebounding very well. But I can't fathom how any team can have so many double digit collapses in a season. Even a lot of the Pel's victories were games where they had 25+ point leads early in the game, only to have to hang on to a one or two shot win.

The Pelicans must have some sort of record for losing games after having huge leads over their opponents. It's maddening!

OP
Bill

Bill

Still Leaking Gold
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
This thread could've been about the saints for decades. Have to stick it out....makes it feel that much better when they do win.
I was much younger when the Saints were this bad. Plus I was a big football fan.
I'm not sure I can live for 40 more years to watch the Pelicans finally figure things out.

2fya

Bench Warmer
Reaction score
I was much younger when the Saints were this bad. Plus I was a big football fan.
I'm not sure I can live for 40 more years to watch the Pelicans finally figure things out.
Hey Bill, how bout our pelicans tonight? 😂😂

OP
Bill

Bill

Still Leaking Gold
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
They go from blowouts to making their shots and looking good
Yep. They need 5 more games just like that.
Too bad their wins are so few and far between. :covri:

Dago

Veteran
Reaction score
They go from blowouts to making their shots and looking good
Playing better defense allowed them to play more at their pace. Other than the first quarter they really took care of the ball and the werent settling on offense....they were aggressive in getting to the rim which they needed since they really havent been shooting the 3 ball that well

But they dont have a shot unless they start shooting at least 75% from the free throw line...even JJ missed a pair

OP
Bill

Bill

Still Leaking Gold
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Playing better defense allowed them to play more at their pace. Other than the first quarter they really took care of the ball and the werent settling on offense....they were aggressive in getting to the rim which they needed since they really havent been shooting the 3 ball that well

But they dont have a shot unless they start shooting at least 75% from the free throw line...even JJ missed a pair
The Pels will be playing two currently winless teams in their next two games, and the one team we already beat is also winless. So of course the Pels should be looking like a great team right now. But I just can't get too excited about a team that continues to struggle against every team that has already locked up a spot in the playoffs. In three weeks the Pels will be playing a desperate Spurs team that we must win to have any kind of shot for the 8th spot. I sure hope we can look like a real playoff team by then.

OP
Bill

Bill

Still Leaking Gold
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
The Pelicans are struggling against the winless Kings. Eight points down late in the 3rd quarter. :jpshakehead:

Marty_Graw

Don't Rain on My Parade
Reaction score
Gave up 49 in the first quarter; not the first half, the first quarter.

Trying to slog through it, but this is just shameful. Defense is reasonably important.

Rebounding (as usual) is an absolute abomination. Griffin needs to clean house.

OP
Bill

Bill

Still Leaking Gold
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Gave up 49 in the first quarter; not the first half, the first quarter.

Trying to slog through it, but this is just shameful. Defense is reasonably important.

Rebounding (as usual) is an absolute abomination. Griffin needs to clean house.
I'm glad that we won't have to get embarrassed in the playoffs.

bclemms

More than 15K posts served!
Reaction score
Need a defensive stud in the middle and some experience. Also need Zion on the floor for 30 minutes a game, not 30 minutes a week.

saintbilly25

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
They are not playing well at all in the bubble, but I still believe this team will be a championship contender pretty soon and win a couple of titles over the next decade. Hiring a good coach to navigate that time frame is imperative though.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Rex Chapman Foundation to donate $20,000 to greater New Orleans area through Pelicans & Saints Social Justice Leadership Alliance Pelicans RSS News Feeds 0
Rex Chapman on the New Orleans Pelicans podcast presented by SeatGeek - August 13, 2020 Pelicans RSS News Feeds 0
Pelicans shootaround update: Zion Williamson describes rookie season as ‘crazy journey’ Pelicans RSS News Feeds 0
Five things to know about the Pelicans on Aug. 13, 2020 Pelicans RSS News Feeds 0
Pelicans News Around the Web (8-13-2020) Pelicans RSS News Feeds 0
Pelicans assistant coach Teresa Weatherspoon to enter Texas Sports Hall of Fame Pelicans RSS News Feeds 0
Pelicans News Around the Web (8-12-2020) Pelicans RSS News Feeds 0
2019-20 NBA Restart Seeding Game: Pelicans at Kings Postgame Quotes 8-11-20 Pelicans RSS News Feeds 0
Entergy postgame wrap: Kings 112, Pelicans 106 Pelicans RSS News Feeds 0
Entergy postgame wrap: Kings 112, Pelicans 106 Pelicans RSS News Feeds 0
Pelicans shootaround update: Brandon Ingram, Jrue Holiday assess 2019-20, team’s future Pelicans RSS News Feeds 0
Five things to know about the Pelicans on Aug. 11, 2020 Pelicans RSS News Feeds 0
Pelicans News Around the Web (8-11-2020) Pelicans RSS News Feeds 0
Tuesday game vs. Kings will likely mean larger roles for Pelicans young players Pelicans RSS News Feeds 0
Swin Cash & Caron Butler on the New Orleans Pelicans podcast presented by SeatGeek - August 10, 2020 Pelicans RSS News Feeds 0
Five things to know about the Pelicans on Aug. 10, 2020 Pelicans RSS News Feeds 0
Pelicans News Around the Web (8-10-2020) Pelicans RSS News Feeds 0
2019-20 NBA Restart Seeding Game: Pelicans vs. Spurs Postgame Quotes 8-9-20 Pelicans RSS News Feeds 0
Entergy postgame wrap: Spurs 122, Pelicans 113 Pelicans RSS News Feeds 0
Five things to know about the Pelicans on Aug. 9, 2020 Pelicans RSS News Feeds 0
Behind the Numbers: Pelicans vs. Spurs (8/9/20) Pelicans RSS News Feeds 0
2019-20 NBA Restart Seeding Game: Pelicans vs. Wizards Postgame Quotes 8-7-20 Pelicans RSS News Feeds 0
Entergy postgame wrap: Pelicans 118, Wizards 107 Pelicans RSS News Feeds 0
Behind the Numbers: Pelicans vs. Wizards (8/7/20) Pelicans RSS News Feeds 0
Five things to know about the Pelicans on Aug. 7, 2020 Pelicans RSS News Feeds 0
2019-20 NBA Restart Seeding Game: Pelicans at Kings Postgame Quotes 8-6-20 Pelicans RSS News Feeds 0
Entergy postgame wrap: Kings 140, Pelicans 125 Pelicans RSS News Feeds 0
New Orleans Pelicans Weekly Show - August 6, 2020 Pelicans RSS News Feeds 0
Five things to know about the Pelicans on Aug. 6, 2020 Pelicans RSS News Feeds 0
Transcript: Pelicans forward Nicolò Melli media availability - August 5, 2020 Pelicans RSS News Feeds 0
Transcript: Pelicans guard Lonzo Ball media availability - August 5, 2020 Pelicans RSS News Feeds 0
Transcript: Pelicans head coach Alvin Gentry media availability - August 5, 2020 Pelicans RSS News Feeds 0
Behind the Numbers: Pelicans vs. Kings (8/6/20) Pelicans RSS News Feeds 0
Pelicans back in West race, likely need 5-0 or 4-1 finish plus help on scoreboard Pelicans RSS News Feeds 0
Five things to know about the Pelicans on Aug. 5, 2020 Pelicans RSS News Feeds 0
Pelicans News Around the Web (8-5-2020) Pelicans RSS News Feeds 0
Five things to know about the Pelicans on Aug. 4, 2020 Pelicans RSS News Feeds 0
Pelicans News Around the Web (8-4-2020) Pelicans RSS News Feeds 0
2019-20 NBA Restart Seeding Game: Pelicans vs. Grizzlies Postgame Quotes 8-1-20 Pelicans RSS News Feeds 0
Entergy postgame wrap: Pelicans 116, Grizzlies 106 Pelicans RSS News Feeds 0
Eric Hasseltine on the New Orleans Pelicans podcast presented by SeatGeek - August 3, 2020 Pelicans RSS News Feeds 0
Pelicans shootaround update: Without a doubt, Grizzlies matchup is ‘big game’ Pelicans RSS News Feeds 0
Five things to know about the Pelicans on Aug. 3, 2020 Pelicans RSS News Feeds 0
Pelicans News Around the Web (8-1-2020) Pelicans RSS News Feeds 0
Transcript: Pelicans head coach Alvin Gentry media availability - August 2, 2020 Pelicans RSS News Feeds 0
Transcript: Pelicans forward Zion Williamson media availability - August 2, 2020 Pelicans RSS News Feeds 0
Transcript: Pelicans guard Lonzo Ball media availability - August 2, 2020 Pelicans RSS News Feeds 0
Pelicans hope to return to early-2020 form in critical game vs. Grizzlies Pelicans RSS News Feeds 0
2019-20 NBA Restart Seeding Game: Pelicans at Clippers Postgame Quotes 8-1-20 Pelicans RSS News Feeds 0
Entergy postgame wrap: Clippers 126, Pelicans 103 Pelicans RSS News Feeds 0