The Pelicans' Future (1 Viewer)

The relative absence of activity on this forum underscores the general indifference towards this franchise. Though the city supported the Jazz much better than many around the country believed, New Orleans is not a good basketball city. Football, yes. Baseball, yes. (Were the population substantially, perhaps exponentially, larger, I could see the city and region supporting a major-league team.) But basketball is a tougher sell.

But a problem is that the Pelicans (and before the name change, the Hornets) have not been well run. The franchise has failed to keep two superstar players--Chris Paul and Anthony Davis. And the failure to surround Davis with enough talent for the team to consistently compete at a high level was inexcusable. However, year after year, ownership maintained Dell Demps in charge of team operations--evidence more of complacency than patience and sending a message to fans and to the league that, yes, its expectations for the Pelicans were simply lower than those for the Saints.

With the season quickly coming to a close, ownership has to decide on a new management team. My admission is that I do not follow the NBA closely, so I have far fewer opinions on what the Pelicans need to do than I have on what the Saints should be doing. But I do know this: This team needs a general manager and a head coach who are new, who are creative, and who can communicate well with the general public. The franchise needs a new face and a totally new approach as far as team management. The moment the season ends, the status quo needs to end.

Basketball is not a tough sell in New Orleans. Everybody I grew up with followed the NBA religiously long before an actual team came here.

The franchise has not been well run, but not from an operations point of view. Dell Demps did indeed put talent around Davis. Both Davis and CP3 went into the 2nd round with CP3 one game away from the WCF. The Dell Demps tenure was hampered by injury problems year after year. He built good rosters here. Gentry remade the team mid season when Demarcus Cousins went down and they did more than anybody expected. Extremely good coaching job he did there.

The main problem for this franchise has been marketing. The tv and radio deals were beyond pathetic and are only serviceable today. They've had big road playoff games with NO RADIO PRE-GAME SHOW. Are you kidding me?? THe pre-game show on TV used to be hosted from a Dallas studio a couple seasons ago. They just now moved it here. You kidding?? Lots of people in the metro area still dont know which channel to even find the games. They do a poor job hyping the team in pre-season with barely an any online presence. The local media coverage is just absurd and basically non-existent. The game day experience at the arena is stale and cookie cutter for a city like this. Nothing unique at all.

^^THIS is their #1 problem. Not the product on the court.

Last edited:
Basketball is not a tough sell in New Orleans. Everybody I grew up with followed the NBA religiously long before an actual team came here.

The franchise has not been well run, but not from an operations point of view. Dell Demps did indeed put talent around Davis. Both Davis and CP3 went into the 2nd round with CP3 one game away from the WCF. The Dell Demps tenure was hampered by injury problems year after year. He built good rosters here. Gentry remade the team mid season when Demarcus Cousins went down and they did more than anybody expected. Extremely good coaching job he did there.

The main problem for this franchise has been marketing. The tv and radio deals were beyond pathetic and are only serviceable today. They've had big road playoff games with NO RADIO PRE-GAME SHOW. Are you kidding me?? THe pre-game show on TV used to be hosted from a Dallas studio a couple seasons ago. They just now moved it here. You kidding?? Lots of people in the metro area still dont know which channel to even find the games. They do a poor job hyping the team in pre-season with barely an any online presence. The local media coverage is just absurd and basically non-existent. The game day experience at the arena is stale and cookie cutter for a city like this. Nothing unique at all.

^^THIS is their #1 problem. Not the product on the court.
I would have to disagree. It is hard to sell basketball in New Orleans, especially during football season.
I’ve been watching most of the sports shows the past few days, mostly because angry New Yorkers are hilarious.
But part of the problem now is that the Pelicans look like a secondary team operated by the Saints.
The Saints cast such a huge shadow. The franchise has become one of the most popular teams in the League. Even within the last few days, every analyst has said they love it when the Saints are good. But given the city’s market size, it’s created this preception that New Orleans is only based around football season.
Can you blame them? I’ve heard more Saints talk on the radio than Pelicans during basketball season.
I’ve seen more Lakers jerseys and shirts in this city than Pelicans. Most people picked their teams long before the Pelicans arrived.
Even I was raised a Laker fan.

I know everyone is nuts about Zion, but I would rather Ja Morant...
I can see a world where Ja becomes a better player in THIS NBA than Zion. I don't think it will happen, but it's not completely impossible. This is a guard's league now.

That being said, you have to pick Zion #1 at this point just based on name recognition alone. The star power he will bring to this franchise will be immeasurable. Not to mention the strong chance he is the generational talent many think he is.

I can see a world where Ja becomes a better player in THIS NBA than Zion. I don't think it will happen, but it's not completely impossible. This is a guard's league now.

That being said, you have to pick Zion #1 at this point just based on name recognition alone. The star power he will bring to this franchise will be immeasurable. Not to mention the strong chance he is the generational talent many think he is.
I don’t know about it being a guard league. I think 4 of the top 6 or so players in the NBA right now aren’t guards: AD, Lebron, KD, and Giannis. Kawhi Leonard is right behind as well. All of those players are primary or secondary ball handlers though, which almost makes them like guards.

I would have to disagree. It is hard to sell basketball in New Orleans, especially during football season.
I’ve been watching most of the sports shows the past few days, mostly because angry New Yorkers are hilarious.
But part of the problem now is that the Pelicans look like a secondary team operated by the Saints.
The Saints cast such a huge shadow. The franchise has become one of the most popular teams in the League. Even within the last few days, every analyst has said they love it when the Saints are good. But given the city’s market size, it’s created this preception that New Orleans is only based around football season.
Can you blame them? I’ve heard more Saints talk on the radio than Pelicans during basketball season.
I’ve seen more Lakers jerseys and shirts in this city than Pelicans. Most people picked their teams long before the Pelicans arrived.
Even I was raised a Laker fan.

Win and the fans will come; PERIOD!

Football is king in the south. All other sports are not nearly as popular. But if you can put together a top notch organization and win, be competitive and not just be 2nd fiddle, such as Tom Benson had treated the Pelicans, the fans will show up.

Look at the season tickets sales just on the fact the Pelicans won the chance to draft Zion. It is not a given, by any means, Zion will be a Pelican. It is not over until he is drafted and plays as a Pelican. The point is. Gayle is more savvy then Tom was, already. She is more quietly shrewd, then Tom was. The Pels show sustained commitment to a well run organization, the fans will show up in mass.

One other thing a lot of people forget, with regards to New Orleans. With the recent influx of new residents to the CBD, from cities outside of New Orleans, there is a new market of NBA fans that will have a high level of new found interest in the Pelicans, outside of the native New Orleanian population. There is a significant demographic change in the warehouse district and CBD, that will come into play, compared to what was mostly vacant warehouses, vacant land...etc. People with well paying jobs, within walking distance to the arena.

On a side note. I have never seen so many concerts held in the arena, Superdome and Champions square, as I see now. The diversity of music/concerts brought in, would have never been pre-Katrina. The warehouse district and CBD, have so much of a diverse population, is a big reason these concerts are being brought in and will be a factor to the long term success, of the NEW Pelicans, as opposed to the previous Pelicans. The Pelicans will be another form of entertainment, to a diverse population.

Last edited:
Thank god you are just another fan.

I disagree with MLU,but I will say this in his defense. Jerry West also believes Ja Morant is the best player in the draft. It's hard to
argue against his track record.

I don’t know about it being a guard league. I think 4 of the top 6 or so players in the NBA right now aren’t guards: AD, Lebron, KD, and Giannis. Kawhi Leonard is right behind as well. All of those players are primary or secondary ball handlers though, which almost makes them like guards.

As stated above,Jerry West loves Morant. He built 2 lakers teams with 7 titles based around 2 guards who couldn't be stopped once
they decided to drive to the basket. Those 2 were Magic Johnson and Kobe bryant. I know the Warriors are the rage now, but I'm old
school like West. I'll take 70% shooting inside the paint over 48% 3's 7 days a week

I wonder if there is any possibility of arranging a 3 team trade with AD where we end up with Memphis's #2 pick and they end up with the Knicks #3

I wonder if there is any possibility of arranging a 3 team trade with AD where we end up with Memphis's #2 pick and they end up with the Knicks #3

I believe 0% . Morant was the consensus #2 and a player you could build a franchise around

All depends on how much Memphis likes Morant more than Barrett. If they have them rated close, there could be a chance.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Twitter

Back
    Top Bottom