The Pelicans' Future (1 Viewer)

I believe the Griffin hire was huge in terms of perception within the league and combined with his new GM, they will set a new, stronger foundation for the franchise moving forward. With the bounty from the AD trade and the Pels own pick, they should be able to chart a course to contention. Ideally, the Pels get a top three pick in the lottery, then deepen the roster with the pick(s) from the AD trade. Whether it's a trade with the #1 team for Zion or a deal with Boston for multiple picks, the Pels would be poised to clean up in the draft if they move into the top three with their own pick.

I admit, I have become very disillusioned by the NBA in its entirety. It just isn't fun to watch the varsity players pick all their varsity friends and demolish the freshman teams year after year.

It is going to take some reform before they get my interest again. I hope for our team's sake, they are able to do something to stay competitive. If they can do that, people will be lining up for tickets.

This top pick combined with new team leadership has me interested again. This team will have options that could make them competitive whether Davis stays or leaves.

what are the chances the Pelicans between the trade of davis and their own pick that they end up with both 1 and 2
Well, maybe #1 and #3 because Memphis isn't an option for AD as far as I have heard. However, with the top pick perhaps AD might reconsider hanging around and building the team with Jhrue and Zion. Although, I still wouldn't mind trading AD to Boston for Tatum, Smart and draft picks. Of course, I would be happy with Kevin Knox #3 and future 1st round picks from the Knicks, too.

Last edited:
The Pelicans have to establish credibility to NBA people as its own franchise and not the Saints' little brother. Hiring Griffin and reportedly Gayle giving him what he wants/needs to build a competent infrastructure is the best step. Hiring a top-notch man to lead the medical/training staff probably isnt getting enough attention. I get that injuries happen, but what has happened to the Pelicans the past few years is ridiculous. Heck, Payton got fed up with the Saints medical staff and got them replaced. Was the same staff working with the Pelicans?

I don’t think I want to keep AD after this season. It isn’t just his behavior. It’s his lack of team leadership. What happened to the Rockets when CP3 got hurt? Harden strapped the team on his back and carried them. What about how Westbrook has carried the Thunder so many times? Giannis has carried the Bucks to the top of the league.

If AD is so talented, why couldn’t he ever carry the Pels? Top players do that. Tells me AD is missing something other players have.

The only way I see the Pels keeping AD is if they draw a top lottery pick. If they can get Zion Williamson or Ja Morant, pairing AD with one of them or trading that pick for a star or two could make it work.

Maybe the reason the Pels could never build a team around AD is because AD isn’t that kind of player. Could be that he has to be the #2 guy to succeed. That’s why I don’t want to keep him in almost any circumstance. While he is physically gifted, he lacks something that elite players have.
Agree with a lot of what you say. He does have elite talent, but he will never be confused with being a leader, he will be a supremely talented Scottie Pippen. He doesn’t have the heart, drive or leadership qualities. He won’t ever be confused with being in the class of MJ, Kobe, Magic, Bird, etc.

Last edited:

I would give it about a 90% chance, if Boston joins the parade for AD. They have a ton of #1’s to offer to Memphis with a player, to obtain the #2 overall pick to then package to the Pels for AD. Zion and Barrett may be playing together as pros! I’d take it, but the Pels need a very good perimeter shooter.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Twitter

Back
    Top Bottom