The pick that hurt the most. (1 Viewer)

1996 -
we passed on Eddie George and Ray Lewis
and took Alex Molden-

Just noticed it had been posted but, 1996 would be my vote.

The Ricky Williams Draft may have never happen.

Last edited:
Aside from obvious ones, like Sullivan, I hated the Chris Naeole pick...I also wanted Moss over Turley, although I guess some may consider both of those obvious ones as well...

In retrospect Naeole was a decent pick, he is still a starting OLineman in the NFL.

1996 -
we passed on Eddie George and Ray Lewis
and took Alex Molden-

Just noticed it had been posted but, 1996 would be my vote.

The Ricky Williams Draft may have never happen.

Don't forget Marvin Harrison........:covri:

I wasnt really following the draft when Molden was selected. Even though I do remember the selection showing up on my fathers Big Screen that he just got installed (we were working out of his house back then).

The one that got me the most miffed at the time was probably...Cye Grant. The steam was built up in my head as I was expecting to get a LBer in day 1 and we already passed with Sulli and Stinch and then we drafted the Safety tweener.

Basically throughout that draft to that point we passed on...
Nick Barnett (would have paired with our other Oregon State alum at the time)
Boss Bailey (in retrospect not that good), but who a lot of us wanted at the time
EJ Henderson
Pisa Tinoisamoa and
Lance Briggs

I was younger then, and I pretty much exploded on the forum in frustration.

Sullivan, definately. I remember being at the Saints facility for draft fest and everyone thought we weren't gonna pick for a while, then a trade was announced and then everyone got excited...then Sullivan!??!? and everyone stormed out.

I cant wait for this years draft, I mean after reading all this Im prepared for us to take Limas Sweed at 10 but at the same time Im counting down the days

Worst gut feeling from a pick? When we traded up to get Jamaal Brown and passed on Derrick Johnson. As soon as I saw the trade go through I was jumping with excitement because I just knew we were going to pick DJ. I nearly hurled when I saw we picked a lineman.

In hindsight, however, it was one of the best Saints draft moves ever.

Alex Molden by far. I remember it like yesterday. I was fishing and listening to Buddy D on the radio and almost fell out of the boat when they picked him. It still makes me sick to my stomach that just because Jim Mora Jr. was the defensive backs coach he talked his dad and the whole organization into picking this clown over Eddie George. What a joke. I hope this picks haunts Jr. and follows him around forever.

The Jonathan Sullivan pick still hurts me the most.  At least Ricky Williams actually contributed. And we got THREE freaking first round picks for that guy and BLEW IT. Only Charles Grant is still on the team out of those three picks. Gawd, two picks in one draft, move up to pick 6, and we pick FAT out of shape Jonathan Sullivan. Who never made any positive contribution to the team at all.

At the time..

Picking Roman Harper when we had Dwight Smith.

Although the draft day trade where Ditka totally got fleeced, I'd also have to include the Alex Molden pick when we could have had Eddie George instead. I think that was the beginning of Mora's downfall.

No player is worth what Ditka gave up for Ricky Williams based on potential. There are a few that if you could know the future would be more than worth it, but with the future unknown no one is worth that much, they could die before their first season in an auto wreck. However, Ricky Williams did have the physical tools to be a great one. If his head worked he could have been a HOF player.
Kris

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom