The Politics of Celebrities (2 Viewers)

DadsDream

We Wuz Robbed!
Reaction score
Sticky Post
Through the years, we've seen threads come and threads go about the Politics of Celebrities. Usually, it's individual threads about some actor waving a gun the NRA (Charlton Heston) or some actress calling for the White House to be burned down (Madonna).

Enter Daniel Radcliffe, the British actor best known as Harry Potter, less known for his totally nude role in Equus.

He's called out Tom Brady for having and displaying a MAGA hat. Not sure why a British actor would feel it's his place to inject himself into American politics, but I like Daniel as Harry Potter. As for Tom Brady, he used to play golf with the Donald, long before he became president.

Daniel Radcliffe Calls Out Tom Brady For His Support Of Donald Trump: ‘Take That MAGA Hat Out Of Your Locker'

Daniel Radcliffe says he is rooting against the Patriots in Super Bowl because of Brady's ties to Trump
https://thehill.com/blogs/in-the-know/in-the-know/427146-daniel-radcliffe-says-he-is-rooting-against-the-patriots-in

Saint Jack

Super Forum Fanatic
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Through the years, we've seen threads come and threads go about the Politics of Celebrities. Usually, it's individual threads about some actor waving a gun the NRA (Charlton Heston) or some actress calling for the White House to be burned down (Madonna).

Enter Daniel Radcliffe, the British actor best known as Harry Potter, less known for his totally nude role in Equus.

He's called out Tom Brady for having and displaying a MAGA hat. Not sure why a British actor would feel it's his place to inject himself into American politics, but I like Daniel as Harry Potter. As for Tom Brady, he used to play golf with the Donald, long before he became president.

Daniel Radcliffe Calls Out Tom Brady For His Support Of Donald Trump: ‘Take That MAGA Hat Out Of Your Locker'

Daniel Radcliffe says he is rooting against the Patriots in Super Bowl because of Brady's ties to Trump
https://thehill.com/blogs/in-the-know/in-the-know/427146-daniel-radcliffe-says-he-is-rooting-against-the-patriots-in
The country elected a President based on his celebrity status...

Joe OKC

"Better Days"
Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score
You know the difference between Nugent and The Dixie Chics... Besides lack of testicles.. Unkle Ted don't give AF.

Course I'll side with Ted since he likes guns, hunting and fishing N stuff... But the bottom line with me still remains the same.. His opinion is no more valuable than yours or mine...

Glad to see the no one was happy about that Asian Company pulling a fast one... I would hate to see people happy that others were out of work just because it fit their politics... That's kinda sad...

You know the great thing about that Asian Company building a large plant here.. If they get mad and go back to Taiwan, they can't take the building with them... Not to mention Americans working and the USA manufacturing more items again.

guidomerkinsrules

W H A T E V I R
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
You know the difference between Nugent and The Dixie Chics... Besides lack of testicles.. Unkle Ted don't give AF.
also talent, dixie chicks are musicians - nugent is a far less talented kid rock

Glad to see the no one was happy about that Asian Company pulling a fast one... I would hate to see people happy that others were out of work just because it fit their politics... That's kinda sad...

You know the great thing about that Asian Company building a large plant here.. If they get mad and go back to Taiwan, they can't take the building with them... Not to mention Americans working and the USA manufacturing more items again.
it was decidedly not a fast one
i encourage you to listen to the podcast i posted - this was a slow, deliberate process that only worked bc conservatives were willing to peel off pieces of silver and exploit americans so the chinese company could gobble up tax money even though it's predatory practices were well known and there were no real quid pro quo parts of the 'deal'

guidomerkinsrules

W H A T E V I R
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I loved Johnny
and that's fine for him to say, BUT implicit in that is an endorsement of the status quo, which is it's own privilege
he's also saying that his comedy is snack food - -merely a pleasant food
which is fine, but he's saying the 'controversial' stuff is dangerous
i'd say an exclusive diet of snack food is more dangerous
the real take away is that it's good to have both
if you have the johnny carson it's important to have dick cavett as well

if your choice is jimmy fallon or jon stewart, are you going to tell us that it's better to have jimmy fallon?

OP
OP
DadsDream

DadsDream

We Wuz Robbed!
Reaction score
Madam Speaker has officially said that her slightly odd method of clapping during the SOTU was not intended to be sarcastic.
But, then celebrities joined in to share the non-sarcastic fun last night. Wink, wink. Nod, nod.

Pelosi.JPG
PEOPLE MAGAZINE
Katy Perry and Orlando Bloom Meet Nancy Pelosi — and Recreate the Speaker's Infamous SOTU Clap
Dave Quinn
February 09, 2019 02:06 PM

Clapping hilarity continues!
The applause Nancy Pelosi gave President Donald Trump during his State of the Union address on Tuesday has become one of the internet’s most beloved memes. And though the Speaker of the House, 78, insists her pursed-lipped gesture wasn’t anything but sincere, she appears to have a good sense of humor about the attention — even recreating the moment alongside Katy Perry, 34, and Orlando Bloom, 42, on Friday.

https://people.com/politics/katy-perry-orlando-bloom-nancy-pelosi-clap/

I knew Katy Perry strongly supported Hillary Clinton, but was unaware until I read this story that Donald Trump had caused her perspective of her own sexuality to shift. It's apparently old news, from the NY Times in 2017:
https://people.com/music/katy-perry-donald-trump-sexual-liberation/

No presidential candidate has ever caused my sexuality to shift, but with the 2020 election coming up, you never know. :hihi:

LuvNOLA

WHO DAT
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I loved Johnny
I loved Johnny Carson.

2 of the best lines ever from late night.

David Letterman: “Everyone in America knew that OJ Simpson was guilty, except for 12 dumb arses out in California.”

Jay Leno: “Girl Scouts of America, stand up & show us your cookies.”

LuvNOLA

WHO DAT
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Sometimes when celebrities speak with such passion, trying to tell us how to think & vote, it makes me laugh.

I think, “you dropped out of high school, & your IQ is about 83. Why would I care what you think?”

OP
OP
DadsDream

DadsDream

We Wuz Robbed!
Reaction score
Former First Lady Michelle Obama joined a flock of celebrities to open the 2019 Grammy Awards. Most televised award shows these days seem to be more about pushing the politics favored by the celebrities than recognizing achievements in the given art form.

Some might argue that Michelle Obama is now a celebrity in her own right, anyway.

Grammys.JPG

NBC News
Feb. 10, 2019, 11:09 PM CST
By Alex Johnson

LOS ANGELES — Former first lady Michelle Obama got a hero's welcome during a surprise appearance at the Grammy Awards on Sunday night.

Obama appeared on stage at the Staples Center to help open the annual awards show along with Lady Gaga, Jennifer Lopez, host Alicia Keys and Jada Pinkett Smith to explain what music has meant to them.

https://www.nbcnews.com/pop-culture/music/michelle-obama-rocks-house-grammy-awards-n969911

guidomerkinsrules

W H A T E V I R
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Former First Lady Michelle Obama joined a flock of celebrities to open the 2019 Grammy Awards. Most televised award shows these days seem to be more about pushing the politics favored by the celebrities than recognizing achievements in the given art form.

Some might argue that Michelle Obama is now a celebrity in her own right, anyway.

Grammys.JPG

NBC News
Feb. 10, 2019, 11:09 PM CST
By Alex Johnson

LOS ANGELES — Former first lady Michelle Obama got a hero's welcome during a surprise appearance at the Grammy Awards on Sunday night.

Obama appeared on stage at the Staples Center to help open the annual awards show along with Lady Gaga, Jennifer Lopez, host Alicia Keys and Jada Pinkett Smith to explain what music has meant to them.

https://www.nbcnews.com/pop-culture/music/michelle-obama-rocks-house-grammy-awards-n969911
DD you’ll have to remind me of a time when ‘politics’ wasn’t part of awards shows

OP
OP
DadsDream

DadsDream

We Wuz Robbed!
Reaction score
DD you’ll have to remind me of a time when ‘politics’ wasn’t part of awards shows
My first recollection of such was Marlon Brando refusing his Oscar due to the plight of Native Americans.
There has always been some "politics" involved, but it wasn't the raison d'être that it seems to have become in recent years.
There's less cheerleading for this film or that song than there is for this political point of view or that one.

insidejob

Respect existence or expect resistance.
Approved Blogger
Reaction score
My first recollection of such was Marlon Brando refusing his Oscar due to the plight of Native Americans.
There has always been some "politics" involved, but it wasn't the raison d'être that it seems to have become in recent years.
There's less cheerleading for this film or that song than there is for this political point of view or that one.
So you think the awards are won, not for the film or music, etc. but rather the political leanings of the director, writers, actor(s), musicians, et al.?

OP
OP
DadsDream

DadsDream

We Wuz Robbed!
Reaction score
So you think the awards are won, not for the film or music, etc. but rather the political leanings of the director, writers, actor(s), musicians, et al.?
I think the award shows have become more and more geared to that, yes.

This year, it was Pelosi and Barbara Striesand sharing a table with the CEO of Apple at the biggest pre-Grammy gala, with artist after artist literally lined up to get a selfie with Nancy. A standing ovation for Nancy? Yep.

I have difficulty believing that was about the music. To some degree, the political leanings of the artist do come into play as well.

https://www.bustle.com/p/nancy-pelosi-attended-a-pre-grammy-gala-the-audience-gave-her-a-standing-ovation-15939567

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Saints Headlines (The Advocate)

Headlines

Top Bottom