The Politics of Celebrities (2 Viewers)

DadsDream

Dreaming of a SAINTS Super Bowl!
Reaction score
Sticky Post
Through the years, we've seen threads come and threads go about the Politics of Celebrities. Usually, it's individual threads about some actor waving a gun the NRA (Charlton Heston) or some actress calling for the White House to be burned down (Madonna).

Enter Daniel Radcliffe, the British actor best known as Harry Potter, less known for his totally nude role in Equus.

He's called out Tom Brady for having and displaying a MAGA hat. Not sure why a British actor would feel it's his place to inject himself into American politics, but I like Daniel as Harry Potter. As for Tom Brady, he used to play golf with the Donald, long before he became president.

Daniel Radcliffe Calls Out Tom Brady For His Support Of Donald Trump: ‘Take That MAGA Hat Out Of Your Locker'

Daniel Radcliffe says he is rooting against the Patriots in Super Bowl because of Brady's ties to Trump
https://thehill.com/blogs/in-the-know/in-the-know/427146-daniel-radcliffe-says-he-is-rooting-against-the-patriots-in

Krodwhodat

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
seems when there is a huge uproar of women, minority etc being left out the next year tends to make up for the uproar the year before. Also Black Panther was a decent movie and not even close to top 5 marvel movie but why is it up for best picture? if anything i think by forcing the issue it is more offensive to the group you are trying to help.

Oye

Board Man
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
seems when there is a huge uproar of women, minority etc being left out the next year tends to make up for the uproar the year before. Also Black Panther was a decent movie and not even close to top 5 marvel movie but why is it up for best picture? if anything i think by forcing the issue it is more offensive to the group you are trying to help.
Before I get into this, I'll say that I don't really care for awards shows in general. I'll watch the Grammys for music performances if someone I like will be on, but that's about it.

However...

If you look at the history of the awards relative to the presence of a particular genre - in a global sense, not to mention a domestic one - you don't see something up when it comes to hip hop? The awards are granted by people in the industry who fit a particular demographic and perhaps not reflective of the actual landscape?

The issue isn't so much 'forced', to me, as it is an awareness that is long overdue, where the recognition isn't at all commensurate with market presence.

Have you read articles about why particular artists are objecting? Have you seen the numbers? Do you think these artists should not speak out about this discrepancy? Do you look at the numbers and just think, 'nah, this all seems about right'

This isn't new, either, incidentally. There's something behind it. I'm not making any jumps to malignant racism or conspiratorial theories, but these seem totally, totally fair questions to pose and doing so isn't necessarily 'forcing the issue' as if the issue is undeserving of being brought to the fore.

There are areas and places where I can see this less or more relevant, but when it comes to the Grammys and hip hop? I gotta disagree... I think it's as fitting a place for this sort of talk as most any other in the realm of entertainment.

Loco Hornet Fan

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
“Not even close to top 5 Marvel movie” is very subjective. And if you want to play the “overrated and/because of mostly (insert race) cast” well then...I’m not sure “Black Panther” is the worst (or even top 5) offender that you’ll find.

How long ago was it that we had a musical, where a man “saved”/obsessed over jazz and playing the piano, was a nominated movie? John Legend was a marginal supporting character and Ryan Gosling got the “true musician/jazz artist” role.

I have nothing against Gosling or “LaLa Land” but I think it’s a reasonably significant example given what you’ve posited.

Madmarsha

Love this team!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I've absolutely decided not to watch the Oscars this year after years of watching when I'd not seen ANY of the nominees. Go figure, this year is the year I've actually seen TWO of them.

LuvNOLA

WHO DAT
VIP Subscribing Member
Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I've absolutely decided not to watch the Oscars this year after years of watching when I'd not seen ANY of the nominees. Go figure, this year is the year I've actually seen TWO of them.
How could you not watch Rami Malek? He gives the best acceptance speeches!

And your man crush, Aquaman, will surely be there, for you to gaze upon his incredible body.

When you have time, watch “Crazy Rich Asians “ - you will laugh & cry your heart out. I’ve already seen it 3 times, it is sooooo hilarious!!!

Brandon13

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
I thought Black Panther was about the best Marvel movie I've seen and I remember most people having it in their top 5.

Remember, it was getting amazing reviews prior to release and there was a lot of thought that it was due to the race of the cast. Then the movie released and that talk all but went away.

OP
OP
DadsDream

DadsDream

Reaction score
If you're like me and you've never heard of a singer-songwriter named Joy Villa, then she must do something to get my attention and yours.
Better music? No. Better lyrics? No. Better vocals? No.
Described by the Washington Post as a "repeat political provocateur" and "notorious red carpet troll," Joy went to this year's Grammy Awards wearing a political statement.
Her previous efforts included a mermaid outfit with a Trump slogan on it and a costume featuring fetus surrounded by a rainbow as an anti-abortion statement.
No, I still don't know who she is or what she's accomplished as a singer-songwriter.
Let her try wearing that outfit on Bourbon Street during Mardi Gras. :hihi:

BTW.JPG

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2019/02/11/i-dont-care-what-anyone-thinks-pro-trump-singer-flaunts-build-wall-dress-grammys/?utm_term=.d548c672c8f7

LuvNOLA

WHO DAT
VIP Subscribing Member
Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I thought Black Panther was about the best Marvel movie I've seen and I remember most people having it in their top 5.

Remember, it was getting amazing reviews prior to release and there was a lot of thought that it was due to the race of the cast. Then the movie released and that talk all but went away.
Perhaps one of the reasons that Black Panther was so popular & made a ton of $$$, was there were a lot of people like me who just enjoyed the movie, but don’t know anything about the whole Marvel thing.

In order words, the movie brought in a lot of viewers who are not typically drawn to that kind of entertainment.

LuvNOLA

WHO DAT
VIP Subscribing Member
Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score
What about this right wing hero? Should he shut up?FCE2C4B5-8311-4374-8637-AD816C4DEFC2.jpeg
None of them should shut up.

But that does not stop us from laughing hysterically at their, "look at me, look at me, I am brilliant & I know what is best for you."

El Caliente

More than 15K posts served!
Reaction score
70002 via 92243 via 48109 via 92122 via 70119
I am constantly confused by my conservative relatives. On the one hand they say that people shouldn’t listen to the opinions of celebrities, but then they are posting stuff from Ed Woods, Ted Nuggent, and Kid Rock and saying stuff like “Tim Allen and Rossan we’re silenced because they didn’t walk the liberal line.”

It’s like, come on, pick a narrative and stick with it.

OP
OP
DadsDream

DadsDream

Reaction score
I think we can all agree that True Grit was not John Wayne's best movie.

He was given an Oscar after two decades of being ostracized by the Academy for his part in Hollywood's blacklisting era and red-baiting movies like Big Jim McClain.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

New Orleans Saints Twitter Feed

Headlines

Top Bottom