The President of the National Association of Evangelicals is GAY!!! (alleged) (1 Viewer)

sorry for being sarcastic. just took offense to what you said to Postman and had to make a crack. nothing personal. you must have talked it thru with him by PM, but I understood it to be a open offense that I brought up sarcastically. I apologize for doing it.

its just time to time, a poster with a high number of posts will use this way of talking down to another poster and I dont get it.

On another subject I love to read the EE and will always continue to for up to date information, but need to remind myself to not post and get caught up in a lot of the prejudices and escalation that occur on this board. I am probably not the only one that feels this way.

But 'sad'? Hardly. What's sad is people who follow "leaders" in the evangelical movement and the things they make up as they go along with the occasional Biblical quote to add some legitimacy. What's sad is the people walking around teaching dinosaurs, fossils and the like are the tool of satan whilst homeschooling their kids in a cultish fashion to protect them from reality and information that may help them actually think. What's sad is pseudo-intellectuals brainwashing the easily led into believing things like the literalism of time as they present it and the history of the world (e.g. a 6,000 year old earth).
TPS

TPS, I agree that it's sad that people follow preachers like that, but Ted Haggard is not entirely the fundamentalist sort. At least, he has tried hard to appear to not always toe the evangelical party line, like when he came out strongly in support of environmentalism about a year ago. And I do not get the impression that a 6,000 year old earth is one of his core tenets either, as most current evangelicals who are trying to become mainstream try to play down their views on evolution.

Furthermore, and this is not directed at you, TPS, I think that people who jump to conclusions about his being a virulent homophobe are not really familiar with him. Yeah, he supported the anti-gay marriage amendment, and, if these accusations are true, that would make him pretty damn hypocritical. But when I was in college at ORU, he preached in our chapel several times, including once when he did a service just for the male students. He spent probably half of that service talking about the "issue" of homosexuality, and it was clear he felt it was a sin, but compared to other people I had heard, he was the first evangelical leader to come out and say it was no worse than other sexual misconduct and that evangelicals should not condemn people who had this particular "issue." So while I would not classify him as being sympathetic to gay rights, I would certainly not characterize him as the virulent, Falwell-style fundamentalist that many are making him out to be.

All good Iron. Like everyone else, I get carried away too. I try not come off so arrogant in text and have (I think) improved on that over the years, but sometimes there can be divergence on issues so wide that it's almost unavoidable to not display contempt (particularly in the political arena) when typing out stuff. Olive branch back out to you.

Tulsa,

I wasn't so much inferring that Mr. Haggard was all of 'those things', I was just making a statement about some of the fundamental literalists over the years. Seriously, I hope the guy gets things right with God and his family and that he doesn't have to suffer too much from what that prostitute did to him. And if that was a lie, we all know what the 8th (or 9th depending on your version) commandment says about bearing false witness against thy neighbor. The guy will be discredited and most likely will have to repent or face the violation at some point.

TPS

Last edited:
From what I remember I think he also advocated some legal rights for long term homosexual couples such as end of life decision making, shared retirement etc.. maybe it was someone else though. But TulsaSaint is right, he was hardly a fundamentalist, I thinK it would have been impossible for him to be a hardliner and have such a large congregation. To be the pastor at such a large church you really need a more watered down version of christianity ala "Health and Wealth Gospel."

From what I remember I think he also advocated some legal rights for long term homosexual couples such as end of life decision making, shared retirement etc.. maybe it was someone else though. But TulsaSaint is right, he was hardly a fundamentalist, I thinK it would have been impossible for him to be a hardliner and have such a large congregation. To be the pastor at such a large church you really need a more watered down version of christianity ala "Health and Wealth Gospel."

Oh, I wasn't implying that he was really watered-down. Just that on some issues, he was a bit kinder and gentler. He still believed in spiritual warfare, territorial spirits, speaking in tongues, demon possession, the literal accuracy of the Bible, etc. I think our most fundamentalist posters here would have found very few points on which to disagree with him. Yet he has in the last decade become very conscious about the public image he projects, and the public image his church projects. And that means they gloss over the wackier stuff (that they still believe) and try to create the impression that they are not all that far from mainstream.

I don't feel sorry for him or his family if this is true (don;t believe it is true right now). Stuff like this happens all the time - ministers are part of society nad they do stupid things. Thing is, most ministers are involved in politics, are out publically putting down other people and attempting to curb their civil rights, don;t own television networks, etc.
What's the old Truman saying? IF you can;t stand the heat, get out of the kitchen

Admits to buying meth and a "massage".

I'm officially breaking out the "h" word.

Hypocrit.

And my uncle, the longtime S. Baptist minister, wonders why I eschew organized religion more and more by the day (not to be confused with discarding my belief in God). I would give him a call just to remind him of what I told him not 2 months ago, but he's an old man and doesn't deserve that type of disrespect.

>>I don't feel sorry for him or his family if this is true (don;t believe it is true right now). Stuff like this happens all the time - ministers are part of society nad they do stupid things. Thing is, most ministers are involved in politics, are out publically putting down other people and attempting to curb their civil rights, don;t own television networks, etc.
What's the old Truman saying? IF you can;t stand the heat, get out of the kitchen

While I understand where you're coming from (rural Tennessee) and probably stand to glean a small bit of glee it it turns out to be true (kind of like SoonerJim on smut politics), his family (5 kids I think) really deserve better. That's all I care about. People make decisions to sin and do wrong, and often there are unintended victims. JMO but I understand yours.

TPS

from: http://cbs4denver.com/topstories/local_story_307134631.html

AP/CBS4) COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. The Rev. Ted Haggard admitted Friday he bought methamphetamine and received a massage from a gay prostitute who claims he was paid for drug-fueled trysts by the former head of the National Association of Evangelicals.

"I bought it for myself but never used it," Haggard told reporters gathered outside his home. "I was tempted but I never used it."

So he bought some meth, but never used it. And he got a "massage" from a gay prostitute but no sex. He must be getting some advice from Bill Clinton on how to handle charges of drug use and inappropriate sexual conduct.

ok he bought meth and never used it

recieved a massage from a gay prostitute and i guess didint "enjoy" it

how do you like your pastor, Frigid or Fried ? lol

I don't do cocaine.
I just love the smell of it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom