The price of flying to New Orleans (1 Viewer)

That really s a bummer. In addition to being an awesome place, New Orleans has a relatively large event-type travel industry. Places like NYC and DC have a pretty steady flow of travelers year round (obviously there are peaks and valleys), but Jazzfest, Mardi Gras, the Sugar Bowl and occasional SB among others really change the visitor number. So it isnt like the airlines add many (I doubt any) flights. So coming at a peak time is really, really difficult.

So that is a bummer than you are getting killed. I have flown from Baltimore to N.O. round trip probably 8 times in 2 years, and most of the time I fly for about $200 (of course, 2007 Christmas last minute 2 day trip nearly broke me at $500 and Mardi Gras last year was about $350).

My point is, advanced booking (per MLU) and off peak times are the only way to get good deals to N.O.

>>There are probably better connections and prices out there, but this was the best I could find just searching quickly, plus I have to upgrade because of my height the travelling lengths.....the grand total, for 2 adults return was.....<LABEL class=optional></LABEL> £13,674.60 ($27,481.11 approx).

Yeah, there are better prices. It should cost you roughly in the upper hundreds (maybe closer to a thousand US Dollars for an upgrade) to fly from London to New Orleans.

>>Looks like we have a convert .....warming up to Gulfport like Peyton i see.

While he is indeed all smitten with his pending move to Mississippi, I was simply offering it as a parenthases'd alternative. I'm not 100% sure but they may actually pay people to fly into Guf'port. :shrug:

TPS

That really s a bummer. In addition to being an awesome place, New Orleans has a relatively large event-type travel industry. Places like NYC and DC have a pretty steady flow of travelers year round (obviously there are peaks and valleys), but Jazzfest, Mardi Gras, the Sugar Bowl and occasional SB among others really change the visitor number. So it isnt like the airlines add many (I doubt any) flights. So coming at a peak time is really, really difficult.

So that is a bummer than you are getting killed. I have flown from Baltimore to N.O. round trip probably 8 times in 2 years, and most of the time I fly for about $200 (of course, 2007 Christmas last minute 2 day trip nearly broke me at $500 and Mardi Gras last year was about $350).

My point is, advanced booking (per MLU) and off peak times are the only way to get good deals to N.O.
Airlines don't add flights in New Orleans, but they will increase aircraft size if they see a few months out an increase in traffic. As for advance booking, that goes for anywhere.

Airfare for getting to New Orleans is absolutely outrageous and criminal! I'm trying to book something for either one of the two weekends of Jazzfest.

I can fly direct out of Newark via Continental; JFK via JetBlue, or out of LGA via Delta or American. Given those options the cheapest flight is over $600! Who can afford this?!

Anything with in the next two months is insane too regardless if Jazzfest is going on. I want to go back and visit the family, but I'd have to book a trip that is at least 2 months out to get the base fare which usually comes in around $220.

What's it like in your market?

I hate the airlines.

I used to fly Newark to MSY (New Orleans) back from 1996 - 1998 weekly. The rate was typically $1600. Jazzfest could bring the rate up to $1,800.

Here are some cost saving measures you can try:
  1. Try Southwest out of Philly or Islep (LI)
  2. Try Baton Rouge (or Lafayette) as alternate airports
  3. Try White Plains as an alternate airport.
Good Luck!

Very bad, one of the many reasons I can't go to New Orleans.

If I wanted to go for a 2 week holiday in October, this is what it would take.

Board a flight from Heathrow at 0630, arrive in Manchester at 0725. Depart Manchester at 1035 arrive in Chicago at 1255 (CT), depart Chicago at 1945 (7 hours in an Airport, are you crazy?) arrive in New Orleans at 22.05 (0405 GMT)

22 hours travelling.

There are probably better connections and prices out there, but this was the best I could find just searching quickly, plus I have to upgrade because of my height the travelling lengths.....the grand total, for 2 adults return was.....<label class="optional"></label> £13,674.60 ($27,481.11 approx).

Without hotel, expenses and spending money.....yeah, I don't think I'm getting to a game in the dome anytime soon.

Or I ruin my credit history for the rest of my life. :scratch:
approximately.

Try Expedia. You can get a first-class roundtrip ticket for under 2000GBP, business class for under 1000GBP. Also, keep in mind that international flights are almost always roomier than domestic ones. I'm 6'4 and had plenty of room in economy. I think flights home cost me ~400GBP roundtrip last year.

Very bad, one of the many reasons I can't go to New Orleans.

If I wanted to go for a 2 week holiday in October, this is what it would take.

Board a flight from Heathrow at 0630, arrive in Manchester at 0725. Depart Manchester at 1035 arrive in Chicago at 1255 (CT), depart Chicago at 1945 (7 hours in an Airport, are you crazy?) arrive in New Orleans at 22.05 (0405 GMT)

22 hours travelling.

There are probably better connections and prices out there, but this was the best I could find just searching quickly, plus I have to upgrade because of my height the travelling lengths.....the grand total, for 2 adults return was.....<label class="optional"></label> £13,674.60 ($27,481.11 approx).

Without hotel, expenses and spending money.....yeah, I don't think I'm getting to a game in the dome anytime soon.

Or I ruin my credit history for the rest of my life. :scratch:
approximately.

Why so expensive - I'd travelled to NO from Denmark for far less. The cheapest flight to NO with Delta in October from London is quoted at $644 before taxes and business/first class at £1500 (don't know why they quoted $ in one and £ in the other quote). This is either one stop flights London-ATL-NO or two stop flights LON-NY-ATL-NO

I would try Gulfport also. I live in Peal River, but am working in Charleston. I fly back home every weekend and fly into Gulfport instead of New Orleans.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom