The princess bride (1 Viewer)

Have there been any movie remakes that were actually good?

I thought Denzel Washington's 2004 The Manchurian Candidate remake was very good. At least, when I saw it at the movies that year. :unsure: I haven't seen it in quite a while.

It's $3.99 to rent on Amazon. Might as well buy it for $7.99.

It's streamable via cinemax through Max Go or Cinemax on Amazon, but who has those? Could be free if you could be bothered using the 7-day trial for it though.

It's also on Netflix in the UK, but that's probably not that helpful, unless you're either here, willing to come here just to stream the Princess Bride, or really like faffing about with VPNs which may not work.

Buying the blu-ray for $7.99 makes most sense.

am I just wrong about this?

never made it all the way through
giphy.gif

I actually like the True Grit remake more than the original.

Me too. The 60s one had a cool cast but it was just a product of its time - cheesy.

Plus the Coen Bros managed to Coen-up the dialog without seeming like a departure in the least. I think it’s excellent.

Me too. The 60s one had a cool cast but it was just a product of its time - cheesy.

Plus the Coen Bros managed to Coen-up the dialog without seeming like a departure in the least. I think it’s excellent.

Pointing at no one in particular [staring at Oye]: Chuck likes good movies. Be like Chuck.

What I find most interesting about learning about the making of The Princess Bride is that Andre the Giant was in pain almost the entirety of the film's production due to his gigantism, his body, simply, wouldn't stop growing and IIRC in 1978 Andre was told by a Japanese doctor he had already lived half of his life and gradually his body would begin to fall apart. By the mid-80s, that diagnosis had begun to rack his body and there were periods where the physical strains on his body had forced him into a wheelchair, several of the Princess Bride actors in reunions recount that on several instances he was confined to a wheelchair while shooting the film in England in 1986. Cary Elwes has stated many times Andre turned to alcohol because of the serious pain his body was in. One of the film's most iconic scenes where Butter cup(Robin Wright) jumps down from the top of the castle into Andrew's character arms at the end was really a jumper cable where Wright held on to and landed gently into Andres hands. His body couldn't even handle or carry that amount of body weight or mass anymore. There was a sense among many of the Princess Bride cast and crew, even Andre himself, that it would be a miracle if he was still alive 5 years later. Turns out, he lived a little longer than that but barely. He died in February 1993 in Paris at a posh hotel while in France for his father's funeral. His ashes were scattered all over his beloved North Carolina ranch after his own funeral.

Oye, I think I can say this as a fan of perhaps some of the films produced, written, and directed by the Coen brothers but: HAIL CEASER

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom