The princess bride (1 Viewer)

What could someone possibly add?

based on hollywoods recent history the princess bride will be a big butch bull dike played by Whoopi Goldberg who hates men and has westley arrested for toxic masculinity and put to death.

she then goes off with an all lesbian purple haired army to imprison or kill all the men in the kindom so the world will be safe from them

thats the only type of movies that are coming out of hollywood today

based on hollywoods recent history the princess bride will be a big butch bull dike played by Whoopi Goldberg who hates men and has westley arrested for toxic masculinity and put to death.

she then goes off with an all lesbian purple haired army to imprison or kill all the men in the kindom so the world will be safe from them
huh...you talked me into it

Huh. So thats what Rambo Last Blood is about

Here is a radical idea...how about posting the title of a major, widely released movie from this year that is a good example instead of just negging me.

Some would argue that "A Star is Born" has had 2 very good remakes.

Edit: To be clear I'm referring to the 1954 and 2018 remakes and not the 1976 remake. The original movie is from 1937.

All versions of that film suck.

Actual good remakes:
The Ten Commandments
The Fly
The Thing
An Affair to Remember

However, in all of those cases, the original really wasn't that great of a film (okay, the original 10 Commandments was groundbreaking for when it was made, but its effects, the fact that's it's a silent movie, and its bizarre modern story pasted onto end of the original Exodus tale all dated it very quickly because of the leaps in technology and screen writing).

There have only been a few truly great films that were remade, and all the remakes pale in comparison. True Grit comes the closet to being respectable, but it still pales next to the original. Others, like Psycho, are beyond embarrassing.

In this case, there is simply no chance of having a film that would live up to the original, I don't care who is in it or who directs it.

Last edited:
All versions of that film suck.

Actual good remakes:
The Ten Commandments
The Fly
The Thing
An Affair to Remember

However, in all of those cases, the original really wasn't that great of a film (okay, the original 10 Commandments was groundbreaking for when it was made, but its effects, the fact that's it's a silent movie, and its bizarre modern story pasted onto end of the original Exodus tale all dated it very quickly because of the leaps in technology and screen writing).

There have only been a few truly great films that were remade, and all the remakes pale in comparison. True Grit comes the closet to being respectable, but it still pales next to the original. Others, like Psycho, are beyond embarrassing.

In this case, there is simply no chance of having a film that would live up to the original, I don't care who is in it or who directs it.

All versions of the Ten Commandments suck. If it weren't the Ten Commandments, no one would watch it twice.

What I find most interesting about learning about the making of The Princess Bride is that Andre the Giant was in pain almost the entirety of the film's production due to his gigantism, his body, simply, wouldn't stop growing and IIRC in 1978 Andre was told by a Japanese doctor he had already lived half of his life and gradually his body would begin to fall apart. By the mid-80s, that diagnosis had begun to rack his body and there were periods where the physical strains on his body had forced him into a wheelchair, several of the Princess Bride actors in reunions recount that on several instances he was confined to a wheelchair while shooting the film in England in 1986. Cary Elwes has stated many times Andre turned to alcohol because of the serious pain his body was in. One of the film's most iconic scenes where Butter cup(Robin Wright) jumps down from the top of the castle into Andrew's character arms at the end was really a jumper cable where Wright held on to and landed gently into Andres hands. His body couldn't even handle or carry that amount of body weight or mass anymore. There was a sense among many of the Princess Bride cast and crew, even Andre himself, that it would be a miracle if he was still alive 5 years later. Turns out, he lived a little longer than that but barely. He died in February 1993 in Paris at a posh hotel while in France for his father's funeral. His ashes were scattered all over his beloved North Carolina ranch after his own funeral.

Andre's drinking was legendary to the point of being unbelievable. Hulk Hogan said he once drank 108 beers in 45 minutes.

https://allthatsinteresting.com/andre-the-giant-drinking-stories

Have there been any movie remakes that were actually good?
I think the key is (and somehow Hollywood can’t learn this lesson) it is almost impossible to be a successful remake of a movie that is still firmly implanted in the minds and hearts of audiences, especially in the social media era:
- Ghostbusters
- Footloose
- The Mummy
- Psycho
- Robocop

Where it seems to work is with films that’s original isn’t firmly implanted like:

- A Star is Born
- The Thing
- The Departed
- Ocean’s 11
- True Grit
- True Lies
- Airplane!

Last edited:
Watched it with the kids, to see if I was wrong. I mean, it was okay. Kids also thought it was decent.

But don't worry, EE, I made sure to tell my kids how stupid they are for not being adequately awed and blown away by this masterpiece. And how sometimes intelligence can be accurately and incontrovertibly measured by something as quantifiable and objective as your opinion on some random movie.

learn 'em early, I always say

Watched it with the kids, to see if I was wrong. I mean, it was okay. Kids also thought it was decent.

But don't worry, EE, I made sure to tell my kids how stupid they are for not being adequately awed and blown away by this masterpiece. And how sometimes intelligence can be accurately and incontrovertibly measured by something as quantifiable and objective as your opinion on some random movie.

learn 'em early, I always say
k, here’s the true test- where do you stand on The Goonies?

k, here’s the true test- where do you stand on The Goonies?

Goonies is legend. An all time great. I still quote from it routinely.

and fwiw, my wife thinks Labryinth is better than Princess Bride.

I love showing this movie to my 6th graders. It's fun watching the boys' feelings about it mirror Fred Savage's in the movie. They always groan when I tell them we're going to watch a movie called The Princess Bride. Of course I reassure them that there is definitely some action in the movie, even stealing part of Peter Faulk's line when he's asked if there is any sports in the book.
They start to groan at the first kissing scene, which is skipped by the grandpa to their delight.
By the end of the movie the boys usually like it more than the girls in my class.

yes while a new Princess Bride doesn't make much sense
consider where we would be if we rested on our laurels and assumed there was no way to top 1978's Avengers movie

amazing this overrated cult flick (and I'm a RR fan) has EE legs like this

Director = good
Cast = good
Story = fair
Finished product = quirky
Redux = unwarranted

Remake demonstrates hollyweird lack of imagination, and a welcomed epic fail.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom