The problem is not Winston (1 Viewer)

You still don't get it... No one is saying Brees never had a bad game, a bad 2 games, or a bad 3 games... He did... They were few and far between. He was consistently one of best and most reliably great QBs in the NFL for over a decade... If he played 10 games, he was going to be great in 8 of them. If the defense let us down, it was expected that he would save us. If you left him 48 seconds on the clock and no timeouts... You expect he's going to dive us down for the win.

JW is the opposite of that... He's never been consistently great... or even good. If he strings together 5 great games in 10, It's an outlier in his 8 year career... It's not bias, It's not a double standard... It's a fact.

You can be critical of both guys, but one guys' standard for criticism is nowhere near the level of the other.... This is not that hard... We can be critical of some games that Mahommes, Brady, and Rodgers have played... but they have far and away been great 5 times more than they have been bad (same for Brees)... So the level of criticism should account for that accordingly... QBs like JW have not earned that leeway, and hence the criticism and level of leeway will not be on the level of a guy that has proven to be consistently great.

Not seeing this is blind fanboy homerism at best...

EDIT: And if JW is injury is effecting his play to the point where he can't be a moderately consistent starting QB... He should sit.
This and the guy that gave you a clown rating needs to look in a mirror and he will see a clown.

HEY ALL, let's dial it back with the personal attacks. Raise the level of discourse or, if you can't do that, keep your responses to addressing the post and not the poster.

I don't feel like cleaning up the thread or issuing infractions and/or thread bans but that's what's coming next if you can't refrain from the personal attacks.

There is no need to point out how ridiculous it is to defend Winston. Winston will prove how bad and wildly unreliable he is on his own when he plays each week. It's funny becuz it's like how many years does this guy have to play to make even the most delusional fans see how bad he is. First round picks get a bit more leeway than others and that's understandable. But he's been in the league forever at this point.

Think of it this way. If you had to describe the areas of the QB position that Winston excels in, what would you say. Becuz so far, the only way people have defended him is by pointing the finger at others.

Is an accurate passer? No. And he's never been considered one.

Is he a guy that dissects defenses effectively and who can go thru his progressions quickly to exploit the defensive weak spots? U can't read the stat line to show yes or no to this, but it doesn't appear he excels at this. And he's never been known for it.

Can he extend plays with his feet and/or slide around the pocket to avoid pressure? As we sit here in 2022, that answer is a resounding no. OLINE has been bad this year, but he has been terrible at avoiding the pressure.

Is he cool under pressure? He was in the 4th quarter against Atlanta. He hasn't been in the other 7 quarters.

The only positives when describing Winston are a couple physical traits which can translate into making a good QB but alone mean little. He's tall. That's a positive. He can throw the ball hard/far. Thats a positive if he was accurate or if he was playing in tecmo bowl.

I disagree with most of you in here, yesterday he threw a couple int's, but the the real problem is our offense is out of sink. This is because of injury's and no one is in sink. Everyone is going back to Winston throwing 30 int's in a season, in 2010 Brees threw 22, he was up there with Winston but no one mentions that. I feel that our offense is going to struggle until they all practice together and are in sink with each other. What made Drew good was he knew what the WR was going to do and going to be. With this group he would look the same as Winston because everyone is out of sink. Put that together with had vanilla and bad our play calling looks. We need to go back to the old days and run more jet sweep (and the 101 plays off of it), slants, rubs, screens, and get back to our old style of play. Use the pass to set up the run, bring Hill in more, keep the other team up for hour and hours with all the plays that they have to worry about. We now have the D, get back to the old Offense. Come on Pete its your time to shine, do something....
It baffles me that anyone would compare Winston to Brees. I'm so sorry for mentioning that you may or may not have had too many adult beverages. I hope you have a lovely week kind sir.
Edit: we should ban thumbs down button and frowny faces because it upsets me

There is no need to point out how ridiculous it is to defend Winston. Winston will prove how bad and wildly unreliable he is on his own when he plays each week. It's funny becuz it's like how many years does this guy have to play to make even the most delusional fans see how bad he is. First round picks get a bit more leeway than others and that's understandable. But he's been in the league forever at this point.

Think of it this way. If you had to describe the areas of the QB position that Winston excels in, what would you say. Becuz so far, the only way people have defended him is by pointing the finger at others.

Is an accurate passer? No. And he's never been considered one.

Is he a guy that dissects defenses effectively and who can go thru his progressions quickly to exploit the defensive weak spots? U can't read the stat line to show yes or no to this, but it doesn't appear he excels at this. And he's never been known for it.

Can he extend plays with his feet and/or slide around the pocket to avoid pressure? As we sit here in 2022, that answer is a resounding no. OLINE has been bad this year, but he has been terrible at avoiding the pressure.

Is he cool under pressure? He was in the 4th quarter against Atlanta. He hasn't been in the other 7 quarters.

The only positives when describing Winston are a couple physical traits which can translate into making a good QB but alone mean little. He's tall. That's a positive. He can throw the ball hard/far. Thats a positive if he was accurate or if he was playing in tecmo bowl.
Amazing how quick the pitchforks come out after one bad game with a broken back.

We’re two games in to the season. He didn’t play well Sunday. He’s also playing through an injury that would have anyone on this board crying on their couch.

Edit: btw, I agree he needs to sit until he’s able to be effective. But turning this in to a referendum after he led us to a 5-2 record last year and pulled the team out of the ashes in the 4th in game one (albeit after a slow start) is ridiculous.

Last edited:
Adds further credence to the idea that Winston is the problem and not the O-Line. We are the worst passing team in the league through 2 games.

According to jacob hester on him and Tbob's show, the o.line graded overall like 78% out of 100 and there was 6 sacks. That is an indicator Winston was holding it too long. 78% isn't bad against that defense.
One thing I know is Jamies is a pure thrower his whole career here and in Tampa. He has the yds to prove it. Why are the WR not getting separation? Because, they are sitting on the routes and "Small Balling" us, and we can't provide the TE game play to get out of it. Jamies holding the ball to long is a valid criticism, but not the reason the offense sucks.

He’s won more games than lost and when he left last year we just about knew the season was over , he got new receivers new tackle and barely any practice ; I watched him carve us up when he was a buck their defense just sucked ; if we end up needing another qb fine but I hope he earn the love Drew got because that’s what’s best for the team . And drew lost a few ones including these last playoff games where we thought we could go to the ship it’s crazy how some forget ; this team believe in Jameis so will I

Odds on this thing reaching 50 pages? :unsure:

:sir-saint:

It doesn't matter, unless Payton coaches in 2023, we will not have the draft capital to fix our QB situation. We better hope as fans this is a mirage and not Jameis just being Jameis. Maybe you get lucky and grab some guy in the earlier rounds of the draft and who knows what you can get in free agency but I won't hold my breath.

I disagree with most of you in here, yesterday he threw a couple int's, but the the real problem is our offense is out of sink. This is because of injury's and no one is in sink. Everyone is going back to Winston throwing 30 int's in a season, in 2010 Brees threw 22, he was up there with Winston but no one mentions that. I feel that our offense is going to struggle until they all practice together and are in sink with each other. What made Drew good was he knew what the WR was going to do and going to be. With this group he would look the same as Winston because everyone is out of sink. Put that together with had vanilla and bad our play calling looks. We need to go back to the old days and run more jet sweep (and the 101 plays off of it), slants, rubs, screens, and get back to our old style of play. Use the pass to set up the run, bring Hill in more, keep the other team up for hour and hours with all the plays that they have to worry about. We now have the D, get back to the old Offense. Come on Pete its your time to shine, do something....
Not only is the offense “not in sink”, they are going down the drain, of the “sink”. Maybe they need a plunger, to unplug the sink and help us fans from feeling like this is a stinking sinking ship? 😉

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom