The problem of White Supremacy - Spinoff from Buffalo Shooting thread (2 Viewers)

And when there is any progress in diversity in any field there is often the predicable claims of ‘reverse racism’ and how hard it is now being a white (fill in the blank)
===================
As James Patterson reflected on the state of the writing world today, the best-selling thriller novelist with an estimated net worth of more than $800 million lamented how one group in particular is having a hard time finding work: White men.

In fact, America’s richest author noted to the Sunday Times how White males — specifically older White males — are experiencing what he described as “another form of racism” when it came to trying to break through as writers in TV, film, theater or publishing.

“What’s that all about? Can you get a job? Yes. Is it harder? Yes,” Patterson, 75, told the British newspaper. “It’s even harder for older writers. You don’t meet many 52-year-old white males.”

Now, Patterson is facing backlash from critics and writers who say the author has blatantly ignored recent data showing how the publishing industry has been and remains “a business that is owned by White men.”

In a diversity self-audit from Penguin Random House, the publisher found that about 75 percent of the contributors during that period were White. Just 6 percent were Black, while 5 percent were Hispanic, the audit shows. The company also acknowledged that more than 74 percent of its employees were White.

A 2019 survey from children’s publisher Lee and Low Books found that 85 percent of the publishing staffers who acquire and edit books are White people.

A 2020 report from the New York Times found a similar result across the U.S. publishing industry, with 89 percent of the books written in 2018 being penned by White writers…..

But much of the attention from Patterson’s interview was on his claim that White men are struggling to find work in publishing.

Gina Denny, an associate editor at the publisher TouchPoint Press, noted that when USA Today reported on Patterson’s comments, just nine authors on the newspaper’s list of 150 bestsellers were non-White writers.

Three of Patterson’s titles made the list, while just five women of color and four men of color were on the bestseller list. The rest were made up of White men between the ages of 36 and 84, Denny said — and some of the White males on the list have long been dead.

“Dead white men are statistically as likely to be on the USA Today bestseller list as a person of color,” Denny wrote……

If only this were true, it'd be poetic: that old white men were getting a teeny tiny taste of their own medicine. But the stats in the article say otherwise.

Some people have been dealing with doors being slammed in their face (because of skin color) for generations. He should go have a seat and reflect on that. Reflect on how many POC his presence in the industry might've impeded. Ponder how frustrated he'd be if none of his books were ever published.

Ask himself why he expects to see "many 52-year-old white men" in the first place. That's the real question.

RE: diverse crew

I'm biased because I think This Is Us is one of the 10 best shows ever created for network television. But it wasn't until season 3 or 4 where I asked in disbelief - "WHO is writing this?" I had to know whose mind these stories were coming from. Who wrote that line. Who wrote that monologue. That rant. I needed to know who these people were, what else they had worked on, where they came from, etc.

And when I looked up their writers... it made sense.

Even in this group, white men still outnumber everyone else. But not by as much as they normally would. And that's what makes white men like Patterson concerned. Oh well. Y'all aren't the only ones with a story to tell.

1655225819769.png

I'm not actually familiar with Replacement Theory, although I can probably guess what it's referring to.
He's calling me a white supremacist without saying the words "white supremacist." nbd

I don't know what it is either. I Googled and it said it's a white supremacist conspiracy. I stopped reading. Some days I'm more apt to entertain dummies. Today is not that day.
I had to google myself. Scary shirt here

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom