The problem of White Supremacy - Spinoff from Buffalo Shooting thread (1 Viewer)

Education of racism needs to be a priority. Too many people, including teachers simply don't believe it exists

I've said this before:

There was slavery, slavery was bad, Abraham Lincoln freed the slaves, then there was racism, racism was bad, then Martin Luther King and Rosa Parks ended racism.

The End.

For decades that was basically pretty much all that was taught, with a little Harriet Tubman, Frederick Douglas and George Washington Carver added each February

An exponentially better job needs to be done
Some politicians and activists of late have made accusations that teaching about race and inclusion in school is divisive, or a way to indoctrinate students.

However, the growing threat of white supremacist extremism in the U.S. has left education advocates increasingly worried about those Republican-led efforts.

Now, a mass shooting allegedly by a self-proclaimed white supremacist targeting a predominantly Black neighborhood in Buffalo, New York, has sparked fears about banning race education in schools, advocates who spoke with ABC News said.

Research shows that children become aware of race and racial inequality at a young age and may develop racial biases by ages 3 to 5.

Studies, including those from award-winning social-developmental psychologist Phyllis A. Katz, have long shown that children engaged in honest and frequent conversations about race, racial inequity, and racism, lead to lower levels of bias in young children.

Children take cues from what they see around them, so avoiding conversations about race and inequality only allows for “prevalent stereotypes [to] remain unchanged,” Katz's research states.

Katheleen Belew, a historian who specializes in the white power movement, testified before Congress in 2019 to recommend education as a solution to acknowledging extremism as a nation.

"Truly grappling with white power violence would involve a long look at the racial inequality foundational to many American communities," said Belew.

Experts on radicalism in the U.S., like Michael Edison Hayden, a senior investigative reporter at the Southern Poverty Law Center, suggest that education can be an essential tool against racism in different ways.

"Every person needs to be aware of these huge racial injustices that have existed throughout American history," Hayden said. "You cannot possibly understand what the people in Buffalo feel right now -- Black people in general -- feel without understanding the history of racist violence in this country."

However, Hayden warns that only portraying white people as antagonists could "keep this cycle [of division] going in our culture."

Primarily, he recommends federal agencies fund programs that support the early intervention of radicalization and inoculate communities against extremism, by promoting media literacy, mental health resources and other such programs.

"You have people pushing back against education at this very moment when it's needed more than ever before," he said............

The anti-race education movement has been firing up school board meetings, midterm primary races and conservative media most intensely within the last two years. It's led to heated debates about whether children are being taught about the long history of racial oppression and the fight for equality in schools.

However, critical race theorists, educators and some parents say that opponents are actively distorting what the theory is in order to reverse progress made in diversity and racial equity.

"The whitewashing of history, the banning of books, the silencing of diverse voices do everything to rob students of the truth of our history, and do everything to plant the seeds of white supremacy," Kim Anderson, executive director of the National Education Association, told ABC News............

In 1810, Cassius Marcellus Clay was born into one of the wealthiest slave-owning families in Kentucky. However, while studying at Yale, he heard the radical abolitionist William Lloyd Garrison speak. It was a powerful experience that seriously challenged the beliefs Cassius was raised with, and set him on the path to embracing abolition.

This prominent son of wealthy slave owners later served three terms in the Kentucky House of Representatives, where his anti-slavery views led to attacks and assassination attempts. The stories of Cassius Clay fighting off assailants sound like the stuff of legend. During a heated public debate, for example, a hired killer fired a bullet into Cassius’ chest… just as Cassius was unsheathing his bowie knife, which took the hit and saved his life. Despite having just taken the impact of a bullet, Cassius tossed the would-be assassin over an embankment… after slicing off his nose and one of his ears. When six men wielding knives and clubs attacked Cassius at a public meeting, he was stabbed in the back… but was still able to end the fight by gutting one of them and causing the rest to flee.

In 1845, Cassius Clay began publishing an anti-slavery newspaper called True American. He installed armored doors at the printing press, as well as two cannons. It didn’t stop a mob of 60 men from storming the press, and forcing the publication to relocate to a free state (even as Cassius himself remained in Kentucky.)

A decade and a half later, Cassius Clay would organize the defense unit that protected the White House when the Civil War erupted. He served as minister to Russia during the war, where he helped to secure Russia’s support for the Union. When President Lincoln recalled him from Russia in 1862 to serve as a general in the Union Army, Cassius publicly refused the position unless the President issued a proclamation freeing all slaves under Confederate control… which Lincoln did later that same year.

Nine years after Cassius Clay’s death in 1903, a man named Herman Heaton Clay – whose ancestors had been enslaved by the Clay family – named his son after the knife-wielding abolitionist. The Cassius Clay born in 1912 would later name HIS son Cassius Clay, Jr. – better known to the world as Muhammad Ali.

This story is part of a project to mobilize White people for racial justice, by providing examples of what White antiracism has looked like throughout U.S. history. Read the vision statement here:

#WhiteAntiracistHistory
#Antiracism
#Abolition.

I thought this would be appropriate on this thread #HumanPower

In 1810, Cassius Marcellus Clay was born into one of the wealthiest slave-owning families in Kentucky. However, while studying at Yale, he heard the radical abolitionist William Lloyd Garrison speak. It was a powerful experience that seriously challenged the beliefs Cassius was raised with, and set him on the path to embracing abolition.

This prominent son of wealthy slave owners later served three terms in the Kentucky House of Representatives, where his anti-slavery views led to attacks and assassination attempts. The stories of Cassius Clay fighting off assailants sound like the stuff of legend. During a heated public debate, for example, a hired killer fired a bullet into Cassius’ chest… just as Cassius was unsheathing his bowie knife, which took the hit and saved his life. Despite having just taken the impact of a bullet, Cassius tossed the would-be assassin over an embankment… after slicing off his nose and one of his ears. When six men wielding knives and clubs attacked Cassius at a public meeting, he was stabbed in the back… but was still able to end the fight by gutting one of them and causing the rest to flee.

In 1845, Cassius Clay began publishing an anti-slavery newspaper called True American. He installed armored doors at the printing press, as well as two cannons. It didn’t stop a mob of 60 men from storming the press, and forcing the publication to relocate to a free state (even as Cassius himself remained in Kentucky.)

A decade and a half later, Cassius Clay would organize the defense unit that protected the White House when the Civil War erupted. He served as minister to Russia during the war, where he helped to secure Russia’s support for the Union. When President Lincoln recalled him from Russia in 1862 to serve as a general in the Union Army, Cassius publicly refused the position unless the President issued a proclamation freeing all slaves under Confederate control… which Lincoln did later that same year.

Nine years after Cassius Clay’s death in 1903, a man named Herman Heaton Clay – whose ancestors had been enslaved by the Clay family – named his son after the knife-wielding abolitionist. The Cassius Clay born in 1912 would later name HIS son Cassius Clay, Jr. – better known to the world as Muhammad Ali.

This story is part of a project to mobilize White people for racial justice, by providing examples of what White antiracism has looked like throughout U.S. history. Read the vision statement here:

#WhiteAntiracistHistory
#Antiracism
#Abolition.

I thought this would be appropriate on this thread #HumanPower

Right when I started reading this, I thought, Muhammad Ali wasn't born in 1810. Lol.

Very good read. Learn something new every day. :9:

I can't explain it, but to me, this is more indicative/symbolic/representative of the racism in America than the Buffalo shooter.

He's not lurking and posting on some online message board.

He's telling the world that Black women don't count. He has no tactical gear on. He's in khakis and a button up.

He doesn't have to leave behind a manifesto with all his wacko ideas and gripes. Call him and he'll share those with you anytime.

His comments gave me the same feeling I get when I read about all the white people (in threads like this and elsewhere) who have a racist relative or friend.

The sickness is everywhere. In every nook and cranny. Top to bottom.

So, I want to thank yall for starting this thread, specifically @DaveXA . I read every thought and I appreciate the effort. Early on, it was opined that "this can't be done without getting political" and, I won't lie, my expectations waned. But, 8 pages later, you've shown a discussion can be started, and sustained, and the key element of it all -- you tried. And that's what I'm proud of because that is mainly what is being asked. Make an honest effort, an honest assessment, to challenge ideology. I purposely lurked during the discussion, and refrained from contributing, because it is my sincere belief that for this issue to be resolved, it will take a conversation and resolutions being made BY white Americans amongst white Americans. Not as our saviors; no, we don't need to be saved. But as your problem to solve. I know that sounds harsh and unfair. You didn't create this system of oppression and you don't promulgate the ideology of white supremacy. Yet, it was a system built by white Americans to benefit white Americans and, ultimately, it will take white Americans willpower to dismantle it. Also, personally, it can be a bit exhausting and tiring being one of the few black voices, almost expected, relied upon, to push the dialogue and provide perspective for the masses. However, because my comments in the other thread were, essentially, the catalyst for this one, I didn't want to be seen as a pot stirrer. Agitating things and then going ghost when discussions happens. So, shortly, I'm making a post with some of my thoughts. For now, with all sincerity, I wanted to say THANK YOU!

I saw this reported on the news that over 220 Republicans voted no and it boggles the mind, mainly because I assume they realize that the majority of the people charged with this crime are their constituents. But I’m wondering was there pork attached to this bill? If anyone knows please clarify.Because if there was this would more than likely be the reason for their no vote

I saw this reported on the news that over 220 Republicans voted no and it boggles the mind, mainly because I assume they realize that the majority of the people charged with this crime are their constituents. But I’m wondering was there pork attached to this bill? If anyone knows please clarify.Because if there was this would more than likely be the reason for their no vote
I would just say that this is unavoidably political and would need to be discussed at the MAP site.

So, I want to thank yall for starting this thread, specifically @DaveXA . I read every thought and I appreciate the effort. Early on, it was opined that "this can't be done without getting political" and, I won't lie, my expectations waned. But, 8 pages later, you've shown a discussion can be started, and sustained, and the key element of it all -- you tried. And that's what I'm proud of because that is mainly what is being asked. Make an honest effort, an honest assessment, to challenge ideology. I purposely lurked during the discussion, and refrained from contributing, because it is my sincere belief that for this issue to be resolved, it will take a conversation and resolutions being made BY white Americans amongst white Americans. Not as our saviors; no, we don't need to be saved. But as your problem to solve. I know that sounds harsh and unfair. You didn't create this system of oppression and you don't promulgate the ideology of white supremacy. Yet, it was a system built by white Americans to benefit white Americans and, ultimately, it will take white Americans willpower to dismantle it. Also, personally, it can be a bit exhausting and tiring being one of the few black voices, almost expected, relied upon, to push the dialogue and provide perspective for the masses. However, because my comments in the other thread were, essentially, the catalyst for this one, I didn't want to be seen as a pot stirrer. Agitating things and then going ghost when discussions happens. So, shortly, I'm making a post with some of my thoughts. For now, with all sincerity, I wanted to say THANK YOU!
Very well said as always

This can go here I guess
===================

……But two years later, many Black Minneapolis residents say little has changed since Floyd’s killing.

The signs that featured images of Floyd’s face or demanded justice for his death have vanished from front yards, even as many of the same tensions over race, policing and inequality linger.

While many believe the commitment for change is still there, some question the urgency.

“Although everybody’s heart seems to be in the right place, their actions are not matching up as fast. … We’re dealing with big, deep cultural issues, systematic issues that have built up for hundreds of years and that takes time,” said PJ Hill, an adviser at NorthRock Partners and vice-chair of the Minneapolis NAACP.

“You worry about the time that it is taking and whether we are missing a moment.”……

I would just say that this is unavoidably political and would need to be discussed at the MAP site.
You know the fact that he posted the article was begging for a Rebuttal,but I’ll see myself out, thank you very much.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom