The Problem with Apu (1 Viewer)

you didn't quote anything so I assumed you were continuing the "bugs bunny" tangent

this is who made the documentary "The Problem with Apu" (he's Indian)
thumb.php

believe it or not there are a lot of people out there commenting about the silliness of his position without having seen the documentary or read anything about it
I know right!?!

It's like he thinks only white people have feelings.

Is it the only depiction of European ethnicities on the Simpsons? Like is Tony the lone representation of basically an entire continent of vastly different people? You have to try really hard to miss why this could be offensive to Asian/Indian-Americans.

India is not a continent. Its a country.

India is not a continent. Its a country.

He said “tony” as in “fat tony” the Italian (American) - as in can Tony, an Italian, represent all of Europe?
At least that’s how I read it

Now if you want to argue that Europe is also just a part of Asia, then this could get interesting

I agree with groening that people love to be offended. You wouldn't know the guy if he wasn't professionally offended. Everyone and everything is fundamentally problematic.

I agree with groening that people love to be offended. You wouldn't know the guy if he wasn't professionally offended. Everyone and everything is fundamentally problematic.

344403.jpg

do you know why comedians don't do henny youngman one-liners anymore? (or make Sherwood Schwartz sitcoms)
lenny bruce, carlin, pryor et al felt that form was played
i'm sure the Borscht Belt comics decried hoe the audiences and "new" comedians don't respect the form anymore or whatever their complaint was

now we have a bunch of comedians and comedy writers who've been at it for 30 years or so and the world has passed them by and they don't like it and they blame the world - and the fans who grew up with them - surprise, surprise - agree with them
it's just another sad "kids these days" complaint
aziz ansari and his contemporaries don't seem to have a similar complaint

I don't see the problem with the character: an immigrant who is a small business owner in a small town.

Perhaps Kondabolu wants another gynecologist portrayal? Maybe this time with a British accent to make him sound more sophisticated? Wait, no, not a British accent, that could be offensive as well to an Indian.

The solution to the Apu problem? Kill the character. If I were Groening, I'll have him deported.

Family Guy has done voice characterizations of minorities, their communities, supposed stereotypes that come IMHO, across as potentially more offensive than Simpsons. There was one particular episode titled "Road to India", where Brian and Stewie went to India to meet Brian's new Indian call center girlfriend and they were several jokes that poked fun at Indian poverty, how terrible New Delhi smelled in contrast to how enlightened Indian religion and culture was. I don't remember any calls for boycotts from Indian-Americans, devout Hindus, protests, no prominent Indian-American actors, comedians, celebrities voiced any serious legitimate protests against it. There have been past FG episodes where they play on old Asian-American stereotypes like them being better at math and science, Asian "correspondent" Tricia Takanagwa saying that Stephen Hawkins was the only white man smarter at mathematics than me". No protests, not even a peep. Family Guy has been on for almost 17 seasons, they've included this brand of humor before, and they'll continue to include material that some might've conceivably see as more offensive then Simpsons' Apu ever could be. Frankly, Apu has never really been a major character focus on the Simpsons, compared to composite characters like Quagmire and Cleveland on Family Guy or Stan's CIA boss character voiced by Patrick Stewart. Quagmire and Cleveland are far more interesting supporting characters on their respective shows, arguably funnier too, then Apu on Simpsons.

And FWIW, I love Family Guy. It's one of my favorite shows precisely because though Seth MacFarlane is more liberal then I ever will be, he bashes almost everyone from both sides, politicians, celebrities, societal trends, fellow Hollywood actors/actresses, he's sort of American version of Ricky Gervais except more successful. He helped produce an excellent Cosmos series remake several years ago and it's coming back again next spring. With The Orville's success, he's proven he's more then just a one-trick pony in taking on a serious sci-fi Star Trek-ish lead drama role.

Somehow, when Family Guy does it, it is satire about the use of stereotypes in satire, somehow? They take the stereotypical traits and amplify them so much that it's clearly the joke, itself, rather than an attempt to populate the show with stereotypical characters. It's like when you take the stereotype, and do it to make fun of other shows using stereotypes, two wrongs somehow make it okay.

I know the Family Guy India episode you're talking, that was certainly the intent. I think Brian or Stewie even said that.

this is who made the documentary "The Problem with Apu" (he's Indian)
thumb.php

believe it or not there are a lot of people out there commenting about the silliness of his position without having seen the documentary or read anything about it
I know right!?!
Did you see the documentary? Serious question. I didn't see it, but I did see his interview on the Daily Show where he indicated the Apu character was not offensive to him (he also put out a tweet in response to Matt Groening saying that "no one is offended by this character").

The main "problem with Apu" as I'm understanding it, is that the Simpsons were the only show on TV with a recognizable Indian character. The problem was not so much with Apu and his family, or even the Simpsons, so much as the overall lack of Indian characters in every other mainstream show. In what he calls a "pre-Mindy and Aziz" era, Apu was basically the only recognizable Indian character in all of pop culture.

The irony is that pop culture is now in a "post-Mindy and Aziz" era, which diminishes the "problem of Apu", and yet now people like you think Apu is too "problematic" (which again reads to me like white guilt).

Did you see the documentary? Serious question. I didn't see it, but I did see his interview on the Daily Show where he indicated the Apu character was not offensive to him (he also put out a tweet in response to Matt Groening saying that "no one is offended by this character").

The main "problem with Apu" as I'm understanding it, is that the Simpsons were the only show on TV with a recognizable Indian character. The problem was not so much with Apu and his family, or even the Simpsons, so much as the overall lack of Indian characters in every other mainstream show. In what he calls a "pre-Mindy and Aziz" era, Apu was basically the only recognizable Indian character in all of pop culture.

The irony is that pop culture is now in a "post-Mindy and Aziz" era, which diminishes the "problem of Apu", and yet now people like you think Apu is too "problematic" (which again reads to me like white guilt).

Why are you addressing this to me instead of Wnelson or someone?
Have I said the character was problematic? (I haven’t)
You seem to enjoy jumping to conclusions about things you think I’m saying but aren’t there

It's still supposed to be a ******* animated comedy, right? One of the main characters has blue hair taller than the baby that hasn't aged in 20+ years.

What the ***... Just what the ****? :smilielol:

The bigger irony to me, Apu represents another stereotype: the American Dream, the immigrant who comes to America and becomes a successful business owner. Unless someone attaches shame to owning a convenience store and working in it, I don't see what the big fuzz is all about.

maybe stop wrapping people in bubble wrap. everyone and everything is on one level or another "problematic"

Not really.

There are examples of what you're talking about occasionally, but it's not in any capacity "everyone and everything". I'm personally not annoyed by such things, but ymmv.

So from reading this thread it sounds like the documentary is not about the Apu character being offensive, but it's really about the guy being upset that there are not enough Indian characters in American media.

The vibe I get from the posters in the thread is that some think Apu and other non-PC comedy is offensive and some think it's comedy so lighten up.

I am reminded of Patrice O'Neal discussing comedy that people find offensive with some feminists.

(Some pontentially NSFW language even though its a cable news broadcast)

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/fjIuPSuYSOY" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

"WHY ARE YOU LAUGHING!? SHES OUTRAGED!&#65279;"

The main "problem with Apu" as I'm understanding it, is that the Simpsons were the only show on TV with a recognizable Indian character.

I've seen the documentary and it is not just the lack of Indian characters but also that they are not voiced by Indian actors and there are no Indian writers on the show. They also discuss how when they go on auditions and being asked to do "the Indian" voice and the struggle with do you do the stereotype and get work or do you argue this is my Indian voice. It's a pretty good documentary I recommend it, if you have DirecTV I think you can watch it on demand.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom