The PS3 Mystery (1 Viewer)

Rich Jr

SR is my life!
Reaction score
Could the 80 gig be on the way out?

January 28, 2008
- When it comes to purchasing a PS3, consumers have been presented with two choices recently. The 40GB system did not feature backwards compatibility, did not have memory card readers and had only two USB ports, amongst other missing features. The 80GB system, on the other hand, had software backwards compatibility and was bundled with Motorstorm. The 80GB system also served as a replacement to the discontinued 60GB model, which was phased out last summer. But now it appears that the new 80GB model could be phased out as well. According to a rumor floating around the Internet, Best Buy has been internally circulating a memo to its stores stating that the 80GB version of the system "is going closeout and won't be replaced at this time."

The memo goes on to state that only the 40GB version of the PS3 will be sold in stores -- this would mean that Best Buy wouldn't be selling a version of the console that's PS2 compatible. This seems to be verified by Bestbuy.com, which displays only the 40GB model on the site for sale. We contacted Best Buy's corporate communications office directly, and were told that regarding the memo, "Best Buy can't comment on the rumor going around."
http://ps3.ign.com/articles/847/847979p1.html

Last edited:
To follow up on your article it is being dropped in favor of a new 120GB SKU even though it is not yet confirmed by Sony.

80GB PS3 Discontinued in Favor of 120GB Confirmed via GameStop Conference Call Today
120GB or higher model said to be taking its place, bundled with the Dual Shock 3 controller.
January 30, 2008

by: Paul Bertram

Last week various reports/denials from Sony came in concerning the supposed demise of the 80GB PS3 model. It began with a leaked memo from Best Buy stating that the particular SKU would be phased out, then followed with the mysterious removal of the 80GB PS3 from Best Buy's website. However, new evidence has come in further confirming the – what now seems like inevitable – discontinuation of the 80GB SKU.

A GameStop conference call was held today, which supposedly explained that the system was no longer being produced, in favor of a 120 GB or more model bundled with the Dual Shock 3 controller. There's no official date for when this enhanced model will be ready for purchase, or the price, for that matter, but it should be relatively soon. GDC is just a few short weeks away, so at the latest, it should turn up by then.

Sony, of course, offered no comment regarding the GameStop confirmation. We'll just have to wait for Sony to officially announce something.

http://ps3.kombo.com/article.php?artid=6107

It's stupid because no one will even come close to using all of 20 gigs. Hell, maybe not even 10 gigs. 120 gigs is useless. All should have included backwards compatibility.

Thanks for the updated link to that story.

Last edited:
interesting.

usually in a product life cycle you are faced with two choices. Either lower a products price, or add new functionality to keep the price were its at for as long as possible.

It's stupid because no one will even come close to using all of the 20 gigs. Hell, maybe not even 10 gigs. 120 gigs is useless. All should have included backwards compatibility.

Thanks for the updated link to that story.

Are you being serious? with demos, video and audio, I've filled up my 20 gig 360 HD pretty fast.

I don't ever use that much space. If I download a demo I just delete it once I am done and don't keep it on there. I could see movies and such but 120 is alot.

Why would they not make backwards compatibility a priority? I know there are a gazillion PS2's out there but when I bought my PS3 I put my PS2 up in the closet to save space on the entertainment center......and I imagine folks don't want to have to keep a PS2 hooked up beside a brand new PS3 especially considering that alot of folks just don't have high end TV's with alot of connectors which means swapping cables.

As far as using space goes....that space will be at a premium once Home is launched (if it ever does, I'm skeptical) because downloadable content will probably skyrocket. Sony also seems keen on offering fulll game downloads which will eat up alot of space. 120 gigs really isn't that much. I like my PS3 and all but it seems to me that Sony is very disorganized on this whole SKU thing.

In other news.....I'm shocked by how much I like our new Wii....I never expected to enjoy that thing this much. It needs more games...and the graphics are barely better than last gen....but that little console has alot of potential all the same.

I can understand only wanting to produce one sized system and all (if that's their reasoning), but they need to put the backwards capability back in it if they're going to only give you one option. Personally, I could care less because I never play PS2 games anymore and I don't know anyone who does besides people on online threads, but it seems to be a big complaint. It can't cost that much more.

BTW, I have a 60 gig (I think) and I've barely used anything. When I download demos, I delete them after I play them. I haven't put any music and movies on it. I'll have to check it out, but I won't be able to access my PS3 for atleast a month. ****

EDIT: Ok, I did play some fishing game and Madden 08 on the PS3. Both were PS2 games so I guess I'm lying. But, it's been a while. :)

One more thing if someone could answer it. When the PS3 first came out, they gave you two options for the size of the hard drive. What size what the biggest? That's the one I have. I can't remember if it's 60 or 80. I'm thinking 60.

Last edited:
I've got about 35GB used on my 60GB model.

Dang dude! What all you put on there?

You still never accepted my friends request. I just assume that you haven't got on in a while.

Dang dude! What all you put on there?

You still never accepted my friends request. I just assume that you haven't got on in a while.

When did you send it? I haven't been on the PS3 much lately. We've been doing renovations to the house, and I finally got another Wii (sold my first one to a friend to give to his daughter for xmas). I probably won't get on until after Endymion rolls.

As for the space - add ons, demos, trailers - I get pretty good download speeds. There's probably a lot on there I can delete.

One more thing if someone could answer it. When the PS3 first came out, they gave you two options for the size of the hard drive. What size what the biggest? That's the one I have. I can't remember if it's 60 or 80. I'm thinking 60.
I thought the first 2 were 20 and 40. Then they discontinued the 20 and had 40 and 60. Then discontinued the 60 and had 40 and 80.

Is that right?

I thought the first 2 were 20 and 40. Then they discontinued the 20 and had 40 and 60. Then discontinued the 60 and had 40 and 80.

Is that right?

40 and 60, then 40 and 80.

There was never a 20.

40 and 60, then 40 and 80.

There was never a 20.

The original PS3s released were in 20GB and 60GB configurations. I got my PS3 on launch day and purchased the last PS3 they had at Best Buy on the West Bank. The option was purchase a 20 or go home. I bought it and two months later replaced the 20GB HDD with a 150GB one. I have 99GB left. After adding Final Fantasy 11, various demos, pictures, game files, and music I ate up a lot of space. I delete demos as I am done with them and hae no desire to play them. But I have Tekken 5 Dark Resurrection for myself, Sudoku for my wife, and Super Puzzle Fighter for the both of us downloaded. Plus, whenever I bought a PS I purchased Ridge Racer to go along with it. Well I have downloaded additional add ons for that game. Space can go pretty fast.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom