The PS3 Mystery (1 Viewer)

The original PS3s released were in 20GB and 60GB configurations. I got my PS3 on launch day and purchased the last PS3 they had at Best Buy on the West Bank. The option was purchase a 20 or go home. I bought it and two months later replaced the 20GB HDD with a 150GB one. I have 99GB left. After adding Final Fantasy 11, various demos, pictures, game files, and music I ate up a lot of space. I delete demos as I am done with them and hae no desire to play them. But I have Tekken 5 Dark Resurrection for myself, Sudoku for my wife, and Super Puzzle Fighter for the both of us downloaded. Plus, whenever I bought a PS I purchased Ridge Racer to go along with it. Well I have downloaded additional add ons for that game. Space can go pretty fast.

The bad thing about the launch 20 GB though, was that it didn't have an HDMI port, right? I first bought component cables because I didn't know any better. When I figured out that the HDMI was better, I bought one off of Ebay and could tell a pretty big difference.

sinful - you're right, my bad. Thanks for the correction.

Asa - it's still up for debate whether HDMI is better than component. HDMI will carry a digital audio signal, so unless you have a coax or optical out, you will get better sound. HDMI will carry 1080p, but my signal is interpolated at the TV, so that doesn't matter for me. The main problem (conceptually) that I have with HDMI (although I use it, admittedly) is that is has some DRM capabilities built into the spec, while component does not.

sinful - you're right, my bad. Thanks for the correction.

Asa - it's still up for debate whether HDMI is better than component. HDMI will carry a digital audio signal, so unless you have a coax or optical out, you will get better sound. HDMI will carry 1080p, but my signal is interpolated at the TV, so that doesn't matter for me. The main problem (conceptually) that I have with HDMI (although I use it, admittedly) is that is has some DRM capabilities built into the spec, while component does not.

I like HDMI because of its ability to pass the uncompressed audio. HDMI supports superior sound compared to other cables. Also if your tv supports rgb full it makes a difference in the picture for ps3. This link shows the difference.
http://forums.gametrailers.com/showpost.php?p=7363281&postcount=77

Last edited:
backwards compatable=useless......

i loved my ps2 for 7 years......i don't miss it......or the games.....

Hey you're entitled to your opinion on this but you are in the very small minority. Backwards compatibility is huge.....it was a major selling point of the PSone and all three current gen consoles are taking heat for limited to no backward compatibility.

Wii is totally backward compatible with the Gamecube.....but you have to repurchase NES, SNES and N64 games if you want to enjoy them on the virtual console. the 360 has made great strides, but thier backward compatibility is achieved through emulation.....so some games are missing features and don't quite run right.

Lots of folks don't use services like gamefly or rent games....they buy them. Someone who's spent hundreds or even thousands of dollars collecting a library of games is going to be elated if thier fancy shiny new machine will play them.

Me? I value it on new games like PS2, Xbox and now gamecube (never owned one, but there are a few games I'd like to catch up on) but don't really need backward compatibility going back any longer than last gen....because I've got a computer that emulates everything up to PS1.

Hey you're entitled to your opinion on this but you are in the very small minority.

you got some numbers to back that up??? :mwink:

j/k....i spent plenty of money on ps2 games.....but even before i bought my ps3, 95% of those games i had were basically dust collectors.....that includes some of my favorite titles.....i had to ask myself how much i valued those games.....and in the end, i realized that i would likely never play them again once i had a ps3.....no matter how good the game was......

Anyone know a good place or somewhere online to order a good priced hard drive for my PS3? I don't know how much space HOME will take up and I think eventually I may want to upgrade for down the road.

Hopefully Home comes out within the next month. I know the Beta is supposed to come out in Q1 2008.

Why would they not make backwards compatibility a priority? I know there are a gazillion PS2's out there but when I bought my PS3 I put my PS2 up in the closet to save space on the entertainment center......and I imagine folks don't want to have to keep a PS2 hooked up beside a brand new PS3 especially considering that alot of folks just don't have high end TV's with alot of connectors which means swapping cables.

As far as using space goes....that space will be at a premium once Home is launched (if it ever does, I'm skeptical) because downloadable content will probably skyrocket. Sony also seems keen on offering fulll game downloads which will eat up alot of space. 120 gigs really isn't that much. I like my PS3 and all but it seems to me that Sony is very disorganized on this whole SKU thing.

In other news.....I'm shocked by how much I like our new Wii....I never expected to enjoy that thing this much. It needs more games...and the graphics are barely better than last gen....but that little console has alot of potential all the same.

because they don't want you playing PS2 games on the PS3. They loose money on each sale of a PS3. The only way Sony can make a profit is by you buying PS3 games and BluRay movies.

If most of your time is spent playing PS2 games, or buying used PS2 games for $9, you are not playing into sony's business plan with first and formost is to move BluRay discs.

So it is a business decision to intentional leave out backwards compatability.

because they don't want you playing PS2 games on the PS3. They loose money on each sale of a PS3. The only way Sony can make a profit is by you buying PS3 games and BluRay movies.

If most of your time is spent playing PS2 games, or buying used PS2 games for $9, you are not playing into sony's business plan with first and formost is to move BluRay discs.

big deal.....as i said before, i don't care about backwards compatibility....and when it comes down to it, i doubt most gamers care.....

it's like, you think ps3 owners should feel slighted because of this.....

and if most of your time is spent playing ps2 games, or buying used ps2 games, then why the heck would you buy a ps3 anyway???? you can buy a ps2 for 120 bucks....gimme a break

If that was the case, wouldn't they stop putting PS2 games on the shelf? Companies are also still making games for the PS2.

EDIT: Also, from what I gather, they're no longer losing money on the PS3. They are selling them at production cost. Anyways, that's the way it's always been for most every system. Selling the console isn't where they make their money, it's what they buy afterwards for years to come. If someone buys a PS2 game, they'll make money off of it. They want you to buy PS2, along with everything else that has their name on it.....just like every other company out there.

Last edited:
big deal.....as i said before, i don't care about backwards compatibility....and when it comes down to it, i doubt most gamers care.....

it's like, you think ps3 owners should feel slighted because of this.....

and if most of your time is spent playing ps2 games, or buying used ps2 games, then why the heck would you buy a ps3 anyway???? you can buy a ps2 for 120 bucks....gimme a break

not really. Even though my 360 has backward compatablity, i never really use it as i almost never play xbox games on it anymore.

the point is the ps3 was never intended to be a gaming machine like the ps2 was.

I never use backwards compatibility either. But it seems to be a big deal to a lot of people.

Sony is trying to keep costs down, so backwards compatibility goes away. Not to start a fanboy console debate, but this is a direct effect of using the expensive bluray drive -- they can't make that any cheaper, so other things have to go.

What's done is done. In practice, I wouldn't care because I don't give a hoot about backwards compatibility.

But when we argue about consoles and I say that I want to do business with a company that is focused on gaming first, these are the types of issues I'm talking about.

It's a minor issue, and hopefully you PS3 guys don't view my take on this a potshot, cause I don't want to go round and round about this. And I'm seriously not trying to potshot. But you know I have a problem with Sony using their video game console as a weapon in a format war unrelated to video games, and this is an indication of how that decision directly affects gamers.

/duckingforcover, even though my intent isn't to start a flame fest

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom