The Punisher, season 2: January 18th (1 Viewer)

that was as big a dropoff between seasons 1&2 as True Detective

that was just a mess - the Pilgrim subplot with Corben Berson (sp?) just wasn't anything
and I'm assuming they were trying to do a story telling style based off of the main villain -- so the scenes were jagged and slipped back and forth in time like jigsaw
just didn't work for me
it worked in JJ with Purple Man and in DD with Kingpin
did NOT work here
and the women were characters only in the most marginal sense

very disappointed, i'd put this only above iron fist s 1

I enjoyed it overall. I think over the course of the various netflix series Maroney became one my favorite background characters. I'll save any other comments till later...

....save for: am I the only one who would like to see Bernthal play Wolverine if his Punisher career is over?

He may as well play Wolverine. He's already played a character with Wolverine's healing factor.

probably one of the best Marvel stories out there. I loved the take on the Mennonite, I loved that Frank fell in love with his new 'daughter' over a silly joke. It goes, Daredevil 1, Punisher 1, Punisher 2, Jesica Jones 1, Daredevil 3,Punisher .5/Daredevil 2,

I have to say that I also felt it was a real step back. I finished it because Bernthal was great and I was a little interested in John Pilgrim (and Marvel loyalty), but I really wasn’t feeling it for the most part.

The legacy of these Marvel (not saying MCU because they're really not set in the MCU in any kind of meaningful way) Netflix shows is one of great first seasons followed by disappointment and cancellation. Except for Iron Fist which was never great or good or watchable. And I guess Luke Cage only had half a great first season.

Either way, these shows were, in the end, generally kind of disappointing.

Up to episode 4. The Homeland security lady is a terrible actress. Just distractingly bad.

I enjoyed it overall. I think over the course of the various netflix series Maroney became one my favorite background characters. I'll save any other comments till later...

....save for: am I the only one who would like to see Bernthal play Wolverine if his Punisher career is over?
Honestly, I think he would play a more convincing Wolverine than Punisher. He is an excellent actor and he brought a lot to the role, but I had trouble seeing the Punisher with Bernthal's physique.

Wolverine, otoh, would work with him in the role and he could bring real substance to it with his acting chops.

And Josh Stewart was awesome!

Overall, I thought the series was meh and a step down from Punisher 1.

Heard a comment comparing The Punisher to Banshee
I have to agree, Banshee did everything punisher tried to do WAY better- mostly by being true to its pulpy nature

Last edited:
finished it yesterday. i have a random liking of different heroes (i know most comic readers do), dc more than most, but he is one the of few marvel i love. the show is forking fantastic. there better be a season 3 this year, regardless of the provider.

i'll smoke a sheet load of week, drink everything i can, while on klonopin, and write a letter to netflix and disney with a threat to their streaming, production, companies telling them they are super dumb

The legacy of these Marvel (not saying MCU because they're really not set in the MCU in any kind of meaningful way) Netflix shows is one of great first seasons followed by disappointment and cancellation. Except for Iron Fist which was never great or good or watchable. And I guess Luke Cage only had half a great first season.

Either way, these shows were, in the end, generally kind of disappointing.
I would say that JJ s2 was on the same (good) level as s1 - the problem was that Purple Man fit much better into the villain role than the mom did

I would say that JJ s2 was on the same (good) level as s1 - the problem was that Purple Man fit much better into the villain role than the mom did

I don’t know, I personally just couldn’t stand Jessica’s friend (Trish?) in season 2. My wife and I almost didn’t even finish the season because of her...and boy did we hate how the season ended for her.

Heard a comment comparing The Punisher to Banshee
I have to agree, Banshee did everything punisher tried to do WAY better- mostly by being true to its pulpy nature

I hear that. Banshee really committed to the pulp and everyone in the cast knew what show they were on. I also loved the crazy world that show built.

I don’t know, I personally just couldn’t stand Jessica’s friend (Trish?) in season 2. My wife and I almost didn’t even finish the season because of her...and boy did we hate how the season ended for her.
It’s been awhile, I do remember my feelings about both Trish and Malcolm being a bit wobbly
But I also remember my take away from the season being “this is surviving trauma “
These are people trying to navigate a world with broken brains - and it feeling ‘true’

Kind of the opposite of Billy this season in Punisher

Finished it, while it started out pretty great, I feel it dragged on a bit too long, and felt like the writers actually had written only about 7 or 8 episodes, but had to do 13 and so they stretched itout. Pilgrim's storyline was really the only thing that kept it going for me. And there was a huge TV tropes level cliche in

Episode 7 or 8, The Punisher suddenly growing a conscience when he Billy in his sights.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom