Analysis The QB Market (1 Viewer)

Best scenario, keep Jameis if CSP has faith in him being the guy. He may be willing to sign a deal that has less $ in the first year to accommodate Brees' cap hit.

He was the main reason that spurred the post. I'm guessing based on the market we will be competing with other teams for him. That could cause issues getting him to come back. If we are his first choice maybe he'll give us a deal.

He was the main reason that spurred the post. I'm guessing based on the market we will be competing with other teams for him. That could cause issues getting him to come back. If we are his first choice maybe he'll give us a deal.

CSP with Jameis' arm talent on a team with one of the best offensive lines and a weapon like Kamara is scary. A strategic WR add here and there and this offense would be explosive.

So if Rodgers forces his way out of GB and they are on tap for the $31M hit in 2021, what would it really take to get him? They already have their QB of the future with Love. Our 2021 1st and a package of picks would get that done.

He's not happy with GB and hasn't been for awhile. We're seeing a trend of unhappy players forcing their way out of teams. I know this isn't Madden which is what everyone's go to canned statement for big trades, but I'd put it out there that anything is possible. Especially with a player who is due $31M and may not want to play for that organization anymore.

GB would be on tap for $31M because they would have to accelerate the signing bonus charges. However the acquiring team will have to take the charge for Salary, roster and workout bonus for each of the remaining 3 years. For this coming season that is $22M and $25.5 for 2022 and 2023.

Besides replacing Pederson, the Eagles today fired their QB coach and passing coordinator Press Taylor . That appears to suggest 1 of 2 things.

1. The franchise is desperately trying to repair the relationship between Wentz and the organization. They believe he’s worth the investment of further time and investment.

2. The franchise puts the blame for Wentz’ lack of development and unfixable regression directly at the feet of Pederson and the QB coach.

I tend to think it’s #1. I don’t think the production that Wentz flashed was a fluke. I’d try repair the relationship too and surround Wentz with positive influences who could help restore his confidence and develop him further.

Last edited:
People here assume that Winston will be automatically be here regardless of other qbs the Saints might acquire through the draft or free agency. Winston has talent and he could possibly get scooped up by another team:

Besides replacing Pederson, the Eagles today fired their QB coach and passing coordinator Press Taylor . That appears to suggest 1 of 2 things.

1. The franchise is desperately trying to repair the relationship between Wentz and the organization. They believe he’s worth the investment of further time and investment.

2. The franchise puts the blame for Wentz’ lack of development and unfixable regression directly at the feet of Pederson and the WB coach.

I tend to think it’s #1. I don’t think the production that Wentz flashed was a fluke. I’d try repair the relationship too and surround Wentz with positive influences who could help restore his confidence and develop him further.

I agree. I think Wentz was a solid QB before this disaster of a year. With their o-line and WR also falling apart there are excuses to reasonably expect better. Throw in the difficulty of moving Wentz at this point, it's the best move imo.

People here assume that Winston will be automatically be here regardless of other qbs the Saints might acquire through the draft or free agency. Winston has talent and he could possibly get scooped up by another team:

That was my feeling before I started this breakdown. I feel like that more now. Now I'm just wondering what of the rest we could end up with if Winston doesn't take a cut-rate deal to come back. I'm sure they will add a FA of some sorts, but Taysom is looking to have a clear advantage unless the Saints shake up the roster to fit a QB or catch some kind of break in FAs.

@Stalwart385

The Saints are in the “must add” category. Brissett is below Winston. Minschew isn’t going anywhere as he is a cheap backup under contract for 2 more years. I would put the Jets in “might need”. Darnold is a mystery that won’t be answered until after the draft. Flipping the #2 pick to Det might make the most sense for both teams. Not signing Winston means the Saints are looking at Brissett or Trubisky to compete with Hill. 🤮

@Stalwart385

The Saints are in the “must add” category. Brissett is below Winston. Minschew isn’t going anywhere as he is a cheap backup under contract for 2 more years. I would put the Jets in “might need”. Darnold is a mystery that won’t be answered until after the draft. Flipping the #2 pick to Det might make the most sense for both teams. Not signing Winston means the Saints are looking at Brissett or Trubisky to compete with Hill. 🤮

I don't disagree with most of that.

I just left Saints out because the idea is that if you want a QB they are the 11th team. No issue putting them there.

My rankings aren't great just ballpark. That second tier of FA gets pretty muddled.

I certainly see the value of keeping Minshew. I actually like that idea as well. I think he would be purely a backup, not a bridge though. If someone offers some value for him they might jump on it.

I think the general expectation is they draft a QB at #2. I don't keep up with them enough to really say. I do think they are in a tough spot to attract a market QB. As far as the team, not compensation wise. Keeping Darnold and/or drafting might be their best bet without severally outbidding another team. Houston is in a similar boat, maybe even worse depending on how their trade works out.

I haven't kept up with Brissett much. I seem to have a thought that he's respectable but the team obviously took a step up with Rivers. More a backup level than anything but he doesn't kill his teams with mistakes. Just off the cuff.

You can add Kyle Trask to the list of 1st round qbs

I tend to think he isn't a day 1 starter though, could be wrong. If a needy team drafts him then they also need to find a QB to put in front of him short term. Or he goes to a team that already has a short term option, like the Steelers or Falcons, something along those lines. So he wouldn't actually affect the market numbers.

You can add Kyle Trask to the list of 1st round qbs

You may be right about Trask being a first round selection.

Just remember that very few first round QBs pan out, no matter how good they look in college. Very few make it to consistent starter for 2-3 years and even fewer get to a level that might be labeled as a franchise quarterback. In my opinion, barring serious injury, Mahomes, Watson and perhaps Allen will eventually be viewed as franchise QBs, so that's 3 in four years. However, the next guy on my list, who really is a franchise QB is Wilson (second round of the draft), from 9 years ago -- that's 3-4 guys over nine years. You are very unlikely to draft one in any year's draft.

Brees had the 6th best QBR this regular season among those who threw for more than 300 yards during the year . (I hate seeing all those running backs who threw a few complete passes now listed in the QBR list at the top.) It is VERY unlikely anyone we replace Drew with will achieve his on-field effectiveness.

We will probably see how the future is going to look starting next year, or the year after.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom