Analysis The QB Market (1 Viewer)

Tua jump from Bama to NFL was like going Lego Star Wars to Dark Souls 2.

It's why I have little interest in Mac Jones unless the plan to let him sit on the pine and throwaway a season with Hill.

I didn't watch Tua last year. Just heard rumblings. I do think he's a similar QB to Mac Jones, but he came much more highly regarded (even with the injury). Mainly I just like the idea of getting a top draft pick on his rookie contract.

I didn't watch Tua last year. Just heard rumblings. I do think he's a similar QB to Mac Jones, but he came much more highly regarded (even with the injury). Mainly I just like the idea of getting a top draft pick on his rookie contract.
I like rookie QB before we kind of made it unattainable to draft one that would start. Loomis and Payton are pretty clear to always be in contend mode.

So, I don't think they'll take a year off to sit a QB. The only other option at our pick would be... *Cringe* Trask. 'll be honest... I'd flip a coin at both Trask or Jones. I think with PAyton... He'd probably develop them to be winners. With the situation that the defense is in personnel and coaching wise, I would pass on drafting a QB. I think they'll probably not be good enough due to lack of athleticism and just doesn't have next level talent. Jones gets put on a pedestal for his accuracy and Elite back shoulder throw. Yet, the NFL is more about being able to make more than one kind of throw really well. It doesn't change the fact that in Jones's case would be the least pressured QB in the 1st round with the most wide open receivers looks that are much rarer in the NFL. Once Taysom stop getting wide open looks. He struggled while holding on the ball for up to 4 seconds.

WHen you struggle to make quick NFL reads... what happens next. The pressure comes and this brings to my next point.

Joe Burrow, LSU
(2019)
Mac Jones, Alabama
(2020)
94.9PFF grade95.5
94.1PFF passing grade94.5
10.8Yards per attempt11.2
140.9Passer rating when clean 142.4
141.1Passer rating under pressure122.7
24.3%Uncatchable pass % on throws 10-plus yards18.7%
37.9%Uncatchable pass % on tight-window throws34.7%

What's alarming for the QB that doesn't get pressured a whole lot. It's dipped a whole 20 points under pressure while facing nothing but nobody defenses this year. There is just so much evidence that's his pockets skill and awareness will not be ready for NFL pressure and sub-par line play on day one. Maybe year two.... He'll be ready. I just don't see Trask and Jones pocket mobility being good enough for the NFL. I didn't think Burrow's mobility was good enough either and he was way more mobile than both those guys. He went to Cinn with no o-line and that was a recipe for disaster. Got broken within 9 games.

Drafting QB is about patience and time invested... Payton being the way he is... He has to really fall in love with a QB to do it. When he ask Jones for a video private work out to see what kind of throws he can make. You can bubble it in as our 1st round pick.

Thanks @Stalwart385 for updating the thread. No surprise that Colts and Bears are considering Winston. The second tweet though about Cousins for Garapollo is insteresting.

At $37.6M? Don't see that at all
What do you think Dallas does?

I see a player coming off a compound fracture/dislocation of an ankle in a QB needy market with not many options out there. Dak wants big money long term. Cousins is the precedent for double tag QB. Dallas could tag, tag and sign long term, tag/trade, not sign, or sign. Dallas picks at 10. If they let Dak walk, then what? You think Dak is giving Dallas a discount after being tagged and getting injured?

Dallas could sign him to a non-exclusive franchise tag and let other teams set the market.

Watson is the only one on that list that I’d feel really confident could continue Brees’ success.

Prescott and Winston come next, but I do have a few doubts about them. But I don’t think Dallas let Prescott leave the building.

Who's the kid that won the MVP in the senior bowl?

Nicely done. For me the takeaway here is that the supply and demand aren't drastically out of proportion. The Saints will have options. Now granted, the options aren't ideal but they have options. I think there will be a market for Winston but I don't think the price will be unreasonable.

Winston had a year to air out and get some of that 30 Int funk off of him. But there isn't much separating him from the other QBs we can afford. His age combined with having been in SP's system for a year make him the obvious choice from the outside looking in. SP knows what he has in Winston so the contract negotiations will be telling.

Sounds like there will be at least 1 more year of Fitzmagic. @Stalwart385

Sounds like there will be at least 1 more year of Fitzmagic. @Stalwart385

Interesting. I went ahead and took that note off then. I almost want to move it to Cam. He's really not that old though. I'm really curious to see how these dominos start falling.

The Wentz trade helps the market for Jameis since I didnt put him as available. That assumes the Eagles go exclusively with Hurtz. I'm not sure if that is the case or not?

Besides replacing Pederson, the Eagles today fired their QB coach and passing coordinator Press Taylor . That appears to suggest 1 of 2 things.

1. The franchise is desperately trying to repair the relationship between Wentz and the organization. They believe he’s worth the investment of further time and investment.

2. The franchise puts the blame for Wentz’ lack of development and unfixable regression directly at the feet of Pederson and the QB coach.

I tend to think it’s #1. I don’t think the production that Wentz flashed was a fluke. I’d try repair the relationship too and surround Wentz with positive influences who could help restore his confidence and develop him further.
3. They're idiots.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom