The Queen's Gambit (Netflix) (1 Viewer)

superchuck500

guarding the potatoes
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Sticky Post
Watched the first episode of this - wow. I can't wait to see where this goes. It's fiction but it's a period piece that begins in the late 50s and it's so authentic. The sets, the wardrobing, etc. are pristine and the overall style of the show and how it's shot is top shelf. And the storytelling, wow, some very talented people are working on this show.

Based on the 1983 novel of the same name by American author Walter Tevis.

1605067526487.png

1605067591409.png

maybellineo

Veteran
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I’ll check the show out. Apparently my wife has already started it so I’m 3 episodes in the hole.
And I wish they would do a season 3 of Mindhunters. So frickin good. Intense.

I think the main girls in Queens Gambit, both the main character as a kid and adult, were phenomenal. I tend to be kinda a psycho when it comes to what I consider bad acting and there’s very little of that in these shows.
I was in the middle of binge watching it when I lost my electricity due to Zeta. I was so mad and dying to get back to it when my power came back on 3 days later.

Reaction score
The Queen's Gambit was fantastic. Highly recommended. Hopefully NetFlix can squeeze another quality season out of it, although not sure where it would, unless the author of the book is consulted, a al George R.R. Martin and Game of Thrones.

livefromDC

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
Is it still too soon to talk about it? There's a couple scenes and characters that I'd like to hear others viewpoint on.

livefromDC

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
Help me out with this. What exactly did she do to beat the Russian kid? She seemed rattled before they took the break and a bit annoyed by his drive-in movie question. Was that some gamesmanship being employed by the kid? The next day she decided to make her moves then walk away across the room. Okay, now I know I enjoyed watching her walk across the room, but was that her purpose, distract the kid while making his moves? I guess I don't really understand why she was so rattled the first day and the dynamics of what happened the next.

Mr. Sparkle

Disrespectful to dirt
Reaction score
Help me out with this. What exactly did she do to beat the Russian kid? She seemed rattled before they took the break and a bit annoyed by his drive-in movie question. Was that some gamesmanship being employed by the kid? The next day she decided to make her moves then walk away across the room. Okay, now I know I enjoyed watching her walk across the room, but was that her purpose, distract the kid while making his moves? I guess I don't really understand why she was so rattled the first day and the dynamics of what happened the next.
I think he caught her off guard with a question that implied there was life outside of chess. So when she came back it was both some gamesmanship to distract him and also a little bit of acknowledgment and self-reflection seeing another prodigy like her - she asks him (and herself) what do you do when you conquer the chess world by 20? Then what?

KiwiSaint

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
I agree with all the above comments...really great series.
I know its ridiculous, but I had a problem with Anya Taylor-Joy. It took me a few episodes to warm to her character. She plays a despicable person in Peaky Blinders and I had to overcome that distaste.

slaym

Super Forum Fanatic
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I wouldn't mind watching a show/movie based around the janitor. It seems like there is a lot more to his story.

2fya

Bench Warmer
Reaction score
Just finished series. Fantastic.

Was really happy the series had "closure", i was waiting for the series to end in the middle of the championship match.

also happy they brought back Jolene for the final episode.

guidomerkinsrules

W H A T E V I R
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Just finished series. Fantastic.

Was really happy the series had "closure", i was waiting for the series to end in the middle of the championship match.

also happy they brought back Jolene for the final episode.
I’m just happy they focused on chess as much as they did
I know that sounds ridiculous, but I really don’t like when a show uses a sport or pastime or some other particular but really just tells a boring old domestic drama

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)