The Queen's Gambit (Netflix) (1 Viewer)

superchuck500

guarding the potatoes
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Sticky Post
Watched the first episode of this - wow. I can't wait to see where this goes. It's fiction but it's a period piece that begins in the late 50s and it's so authentic. The sets, the wardrobing, etc. are pristine and the overall style of the show and how it's shot is top shelf. And the storytelling, wow, some very talented people are working on this show.

Based on the 1983 novel of the same name by American author Walter Tevis.

1605067526487.png

1605067591409.png

DaveXA

I love the Lord!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I’m just happy they focused on chess as much as they did
I know that sounds ridiculous, but I really don’t like when a show uses a sport or pastime or some other particular but really just tells a boring old domestic drama
Yep. Even if you're not a fan of chess, this really delved into some of the intricacies of the game without overdoing it. It was all relevant. I loved the presentation, the period clothing, cars and just a definite 50s/60s feel to it. I loved their attention to detail.

Excellent show! Wife and I watched the entire thing over 2 days. Couldn't stop watching. Highly recommend.

harschman

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
I read an article that is was supposed to have been made years ago and it was also supposed to be Heath Ledger's directorial debut.

Not the article I originally read it in, but does address it.

"Many directors have tried to make it. Heath Ledger was set to direct this as a film a few years before he died. This was going to be his directing debut."

Read More: https://www.looper.com/268230/heath...ambit-you-didnt-know-about/?utm_campaign=clip

SaintsFanInLA

BREES SMASH!!
Reaction score
I binged this series a few weeks back. As a chess head myself, I LOVED this series. But even if you don't know the difference between a fork, a pin, and a skewer, or a knight, rook, or bishop, you can still enjoy this series. It's excellent.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)