The Queen's Gambit (Netflix) (1 Viewer)

superchuck500

tiny changes
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Watched the first episode of this - wow. I can't wait to see where this goes. It's fiction but it's a period piece that begins in the late 50s and it's so authentic. The sets, the wardrobing, etc. are pristine and the overall style of the show and how it's shot is top shelf. And the storytelling, wow, some very talented people are working on this show.

Based on the 1983 novel of the same name by American author Walter Tevis.

1605067526487.png

1605067591409.png

Just finished it. It’s a great show.

From the acting to the costume design it’s really well done.

it kinda hit me the same as Mindhunters.

Perry Mason on HBO is another show that has been really good so far although I’m only halfway through the first season.

Just finished it. It’s a great show.

From the acting to the costume design it’s really well done.

it kinda hit me the same as Mindhunters.

Perry Mason on HBO is another show that has been really good so far although I’m only halfway through the first season.
Mind hunters had bit more of a darker, menacing tone to it at least from an investigative procedural series. Also, while the show's characters names are fictional, some of them are composite characters based on actual, former FBI agents who did interview, or were involved in the Atlanta Child killings initial search for suspect Wayne Williams, or the Co-ed Killer in the first season and very beginning of the second. I know the young, female closeted criminal profiler was based on an actual psychotherapist.

I believe that if Mindhunters had been renewed for a third season, the show's focus, direction would've focused on 80s serial killers like Richard Ramirez, or the further extreme sociopathic method-spree killing of Dennis Rader-- BTK. Those serial killers mindsets and methods and frankly, their personalities were a lot more extreme and deviant than most of the subjects featured so far. Maybe they even discuss and investigate some of the Green River Killer's cases or try to sketch together a cogent, profile of the suspect.
And that's where Ted Bundy factors into the equation as during the 1980s when the FBI was updating its entire criminal archive files into a mass digital database, there were numerous prison interviews with Bundy discussing the nature, deviant sociopathy involved which inspires and drives budding serial killers and how their individual methods differentiate and how they share a commonality. One of the serial killers they discussed at length with Bundy was the Green River Killer.

Perry Mason was a great, faithful adaptation to the series anthology in that it focused on him before he became this eminently intelligent lawyer and legal scholar that could dissect, outmanuever his opponents by being 2-3 steps ahead of them investigating and defending his clients. The show got renewed for a second series and it also exposes Matthew Rhys to a much larger audience that we'll relate more with compared to the dueling three-way dynamic tug-of-war on-screen personalities. Perry Mason is entirely Rhys show to shine in.

You might also want to take a look at The Undoing with a Nicole Kidman, Donald Sutherland and Hugh Grant. Its sort of a psychotherapist having existential personality crisis/mini-psychological breakdown when her husband is accused of murdering a mural artist who he had an affair with while treating her son for leukemia and according to him, she became a bit obsessed and deranged. She discovers a good deal of what she believed about her life was a carefully, arranged fraud and its open to interpretation if she subconsciously knew of it or was, genuinely unaware of it. Did her now-discredited oncologist husband brutally murder his former lover or does she have some causal amnesia where she committed a murder and she blacked out afterwards?

Really really good show. Taylor-Joy delivers a powerfor performance in addition to being quite the hottie too. And young Isla Johnston is great as young Elizabeth. Other actors deliver great performances despite not having significantly relevant roles overall.

I watched the whole thing a little over a week ago, it is excellent.

I'm not familiar with who she is, but the actress who played Beth did an amazing job here. Beth is one of my favorite recent tv characters. Well written and developed through the episodes. A true beautiful disaster and tragic genius.

Mind hunters had bit more of a darker, menacing tone to it at least from an investigative procedural series. Also, while the show's characters names are fictional, some of them are composite characters based on actual, former FBI agents who did interview, or were involved in the Atlanta Child killings initial search for suspect Wayne Williams, or the Co-ed Killer in the first season and very beginning of the second. I know the young, female closeted criminal profiler was based on an actual psychotherapist.

I believe that if Mindhunters had been renewed for a third season, the show's focus, direction would've focused on 80s serial killers like Richard Ramirez, or the further extreme sociopathic method-spree killing of Dennis Rader-- BTK. Those serial killers mindsets and methods and frankly, their personalities were a lot more extreme and deviant than most of the subjects featured so far. Maybe they even discuss and investigate some of the Green River Killer's cases or try to sketch together a cogent, profile of the suspect.
And that's where Ted Bundy factors into the equation as during the 1980s when the FBI was updating its entire criminal archive files into a mass digital database, there were numerous prison interviews with Bundy discussing the nature, deviant sociopathy involved which inspires and drives budding serial killers and how their individual methods differentiate and how they share a commonality. One of the serial killers they discussed at length with Bundy was the Green River Killer.

Perry Mason was a great, faithful adaptation to the series anthology in that it focused on him before he became this eminently intelligent lawyer and legal scholar that could dissect, outmanuever his opponents by being 2-3 steps ahead of them investigating and defending his clients. The show got renewed for a second series and it also exposes Matthew Rhys to a much larger audience that we'll relate more with compared to the dueling three-way dynamic tug-of-war on-screen personalities. Perry Mason is entirely Rhys show to shine in.

You might also want to take a look at The Undoing with a Nicole Kidman, Donald Sutherland and Hugh Grant. Its sort of a psychotherapist having existential personality crisis/mini-psychological breakdown when her husband is accused of murdering a mural artist who he had an affair with while treating her son for leukemia and according to him, she became a bit obsessed and deranged. She discovers a good deal of what she believed about her life was a carefully, arranged fraud and its open to interpretation if she subconsciously knew of it or was, genuinely unaware of it. Did her now-discredited oncologist husband brutally murder his former lover or does she have some causal amnesia where she committed a murder and she blacked out afterwards?
I’ll check the show out. Apparently my wife has already started it so I’m 3 episodes in the hole.
And I wish they would do a season 3 of Mindhunters. So frickin good. Intense.

I think the main girls in Queens Gambit, both the main character as a kid and adult, were phenomenal. I tend to be kinda a psycho when it comes to what I consider bad acting and there’s very little of that in these shows.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom