The Queen's Gambit (Netflix) (1 Viewer)

Just finished series. Fantastic.

Was really happy the series had "closure", i was waiting for the series to end in the middle of the championship match.

also happy they brought back Jolene for the final episode.

Just finished series. Fantastic.

Was really happy the series had "closure", i was waiting for the series to end in the middle of the championship match.

also happy they brought back Jolene for the final episode.
I’m just happy they focused on chess as much as they did
I know that sounds ridiculous, but I really don’t like when a show uses a sport or pastime or some other particular but really just tells a boring old domestic drama

I’m just happy they focused on chess as much as they did
I know that sounds ridiculous, but I really don’t like when a show uses a sport or pastime or some other particular but really just tells a boring old domestic drama

Yep. Even if you're not a fan of chess, this really delved into some of the intricacies of the game without overdoing it. It was all relevant. I loved the presentation, the period clothing, cars and just a definite 50s/60s feel to it. I loved their attention to detail.

Excellent show! Wife and I watched the entire thing over 2 days. Couldn't stop watching. Highly recommend.

I read an article that is was supposed to have been made years ago and it was also supposed to be Heath Ledger's directorial debut.

Not the article I originally read it in, but does address it.

"Many directors have tried to make it. Heath Ledger was set to direct this as a film a few years before he died. This was going to be his directing debut."

Read More: https://www.looper.com/268230/heath...ambit-you-didnt-know-about/?utm_campaign=clip

I binged this series a few weeks back. As a chess head myself, I LOVED this series. But even if you don't know the difference between a fork, a pin, and a skewer, or a knight, rook, or bishop, you can still enjoy this series. It's excellent.

So I have been learning chess . It's taking up a lot of my time.

I was never a chess player. Familiar with only the piece movements, I had maybe played 15 times my whole life before this year. I had absolutely zero understanding of basic tactics, much less strategies, openings, and attacking or defensive principles. But my dad plays chess. He played a lot in the 60s and he and his older brother used to play by correspondence, it was something he treasured. His brother died of cancer in 1973, the year I was born. They had an active correspondence game going when he died. My dad never really taught me chess, I suppose because we were typically too busy with other stuff. He worked a lot but he wasn't absent - just between his work, my school, homework, and the other stuff I did (sports mostly), we never spent much time with chess. Over the years I have given him chess gifts at Christmas. A few years ago I gave him a really good computerized chess trainer set. He said he liked it but I really don't know how skilled he is.

After watching The Queen's Gambit, I thought I should try and see if I'd like to learn more. I downloaded a good trainer app on December 3. I played it all night. I continued to play it for the next two days, working through all the training modules. I joined chess.com and started its training regimen and playing against its broad array of computer opponents. At first, I struggled, but I continued to go through various training puzzles and challenges. I started watching chess videos on YouTube. Things are start to come together. I often see several moves ahead and I have beaten the full slate of 'beginner' bots on chess.com with no hints or take-backs. I have started to play human players and that's harder, but I'm about 50/50 on wins. I listen to chess podcasts in the car and I think I'm ready to start studying dynamic play with openings and reactions. It has been nine days. I'm pleased with my progress - I went from basically knowing nothing to sort of advanced novice stage. I have probably played 40 games or more since I began on December 3.

And part of what is motivating me is that we are spending Christmas with my parents. I haven't told my dad that I'm training to play chess with him. It's sort of a Christmas surprise. I think he will be pleased with my enthusiasm. The real question is whether I will be able to play competitively with him. I really have no idea. But I think I will at least be able to play legit. And there's still another 10 days to train. I'm hoping that it does go well and perhaps we can even begin correspondence games - like he used to play with his brother.

Now that I am comfortable with basic play, elementary strategy, attacking and defensive tactics, and have several dozen games under my belt, tonight I will begin to formally study openings. But let’s be clear - I suck at chess.

P.S. - Chess.com is amazing. The AI and analytics are pretty mind blowing. You can make great progress in a few days in what probably used to take weeks or months.

Last edited:
So I have been learning chess . It's taking up a lot of my time.

I was never a chess player. Familiar with only the piece movements, I had maybe played 15 times my whole life before this year. I had absolutely zero understanding of basic tactics, much less strategies, openings, and attacking or defensive principles. But my dad plays chess. He played a lot in the 60s and he and his older brother used to play by correspondence, it was something he treasured. His brother died of cancer in 1973, the year I was born. They had an active correspondence game going when he died. My dad never really taught me chess, I suppose because we were typically too busy with other stuff. He worked a lot but he wasn't absent - just between his work, my school, homework, and the other stuff I did (sports mostly), we never spent much time with chess. Over the years I have given him chess gifts at Christmas. A few years ago I gave him a really good computerized chess trainer set. He said he liked it but I really don't know how skilled he is.

After watching The Queen's Gambit, I thought I should try and see if I'd like to learn more. I downloaded a good trainer app on December 3. I played it all night. I continued to play it for the next two days, working through all the training modules. I joined chess.com and started its training regimen and playing against its broad array of computer opponents. At first, I struggled, but I continued to go through various training puzzles and challenges. I started watching chess videos on YouTube. Things are start to come together. I often see several moves ahead and I have beaten the full slate of 'beginner' bots on chess.com with no hints or take-backs. I have started to play human players and that's harder, but I'm about 50/50 on wins. I listen to chess podcasts in the car and I think I'm ready to start studying dynamic play with openings and reactions. It has been nine days. I'm pleased with my progress - I went from basically knowing nothing to sort of advanced novice stage. I have probably played 40 games or more since I began on December 3.

And part of what is motivating me is that we are spending Christmas with my parents. I haven't told my dad that I'm training to play chess with him. It's sort of a Christmas surprise. I think he will be pleased with my enthusiasm. The real question is whether I will be able to play competitively with him. I really have no idea. But I think I will at least be able to play legit. And there's still another 10 days to train. I'm hoping that it does go well and perhaps we can even begin correspondence games - like he used to play with his brother.

Now that I am comfortable with basic play, elementary strategy, attacking and defensive tactics, and have several dozen games under my belt, tonight I will begin to formally study openings. But let’s be clear - I suck at chess.

P.S. - Chess.com is amazing. The AI and analytics are pretty mind blowing. You can make great progress in a few days in what probably used to take weeks or months.
Just being able to play with your father is a treasure and I'm sure he'll feel the same, regardless of who wins.

It's funny. Your experience made me think of how I got back into chess and teaching my son. For the same reasons (work, busy schedule), I had not begun teaching my son chess. And I was playing sporadically myself. Since the pandemic started and gave us more time, a friend of mine reached out and told me to join chess.com and we've been playing every day since. My son started watching and getting interested. And since May, he's been playing every single day. We always have a chess set out at home and he's constantly analyzing openings and playing against himself or his sister when I can't play him. Now my daughter is playing almost every day and even Mom is getting in on some action.

Last month, my son beat me for the first time without letting him. Can't tell you how proud I am. He's only 9. He still can't beat me in classical chess, but he wins almost half the games in rapid chess and beats me every time in bullet. He loves bullet and rapid so much, I bought him a chess clock for the house. One of his Christmas presents is going to be a really good chess book. (Double win - loves reading and chess)

It's really cool to see many people taking this opportunity to learn chess for the first time or get back into it.

Just being able to play with your father is a treasure and I'm sure he'll feel the same, regardless of who wins.

It's funny. Your experience made me think of how I got back into chess and teaching my son. For the same reasons (work, busy schedule), I had not begun teaching my son chess. And I was playing sporadically myself. Since the pandemic started and gave us more time, a friend of mine reached out and told me to join chess.com and we've been playing every day since. My son started watching and getting interested. And since May, he's been playing every single day. We always have a chess set out at home and he's constantly analyzing openings and playing against himself or his sister when I can't play him. Now my daughter is playing almost every day and even Mom is getting in on some action.

Last month, my son beat me for the first time without letting him. Can't tell you how proud I am. He's only 9. He still can't beat me in classical chess, but he wins almost half the games in rapid chess and beats me every time in bullet. He loves bullet and rapid so much, I bought him a chess clock for the house. One of his Christmas presents is going to be a really good chess book. (Double win - loves reading and chess)

It's really cool to see many people taking this opportunity to learn chess for the first time or get back into it.

Wow that’s great the whole family is getting involved.

I read that chess.com membership has surged since The Queen’s Gambit. The show is just outstanding and chess is definitely a star of the show. I like how chess.com has added computer/bot opponents for the seven different phases of Beth Harmon (age 8 through age 22). They have the different hair and evolving skill sets. Good stuff. I haven't played Beth Harmon age 8 yet but I'm going to soon.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom