The Race to 540... (1 Viewer)

That wasn't a pro-Brady post. I was just pointing out how silly it is to act like getting a measly 5 extra games actually matters when we're discussing two careers which average 18.5 years AND the other guy missed an entire season anyway. Also, Drew has missed 6 less games then if Brady has one more season to his credit but has only played in 10 more games instead of 16.
You still got a little bit one-upped, and that's ok, it happens to the best of us. I think the original post was more so pointing out that it's remarkable we have a race at all given that Brees was only two ahead when he was injured and missed the next 5.75 games.

I will admit that after the Rams game ended with a loss, and after processing that our playoff and SB dreams would be taking a hit if Drew missed any serious length of time (which turned out to be unfounded) I immediately thought about the TD record. I want that record for Drew and I want him to get it first. Records contribute to legacy, and legacy matters. Drew has been so unfairly overlooked at times compared to Brady, Manning, and Rodgers, and has been failed so badly by our organization's failure to field competent defenses. These records force the media and public to recognize just how great he is and influence how he will be remembered. As a Saints die-hard all my life, that matters to me. I want fans of the league 15-20 years from now to talk about a QB chasing the great Drew Brees who owns all the important records (Comp%, completions, yards, TD's) the same way people still talk about Montana, Elway, Marino, Staubach, Unitas. Without the big media market and bandwagon historic franchise; without the Superbowls that Brady and Montana were able to win because they consistently had good to great defenses; without being at the top of the record books, Brees will become another freaking Dan Fouts or Fran Tarkenton. Fork that. Drew is one of the all-time greatest to ever lace them up and deserves better.

Anyway, I may have gotten on a bit of a tangent there. I was sick to my stomach when Brees was injured for a lot of reasons, including the notion it was a foregone conclusion that Tom Brady - who is an outstanding QB in his own right but has benefitted from all the help a QB could ever possibly ask for - was going to overtake this record first and suck up even more of the spotlight. It's crazy that Drew missed all that time and was still able to retake the lead in the race to 540. Drew freaking Brees has defied the odds yet again.

Last edited:
You still got a little bit one-upped, and that's ok, it happens to the best of us. I think the original post was more so pointing out that it's remarkable we have a race at all given that Brees was only two ahead when he was injured and missed the next 5.75 games.

I backed up my points with empirical data. You typed up a wall of text to give nothing but opinions. You obviously have the freedom to be smug with the way you worded the first sentence and, bless your heart, you certainly were grateful enough for that freedom to not waste it.

ELxjZ27XkAYN3Rr

Why? They make lists like this all the time, it seems, and it's usually voted on by people that are incompetent, egregiously biased, or both.

I feel good about Brady not getting to 540 on Sunday.

Cincy 6th fewest passing TDs allowed.

Last edited:
The bengals aren’t good. I could see Brady tying Peyton on Sunday at 539 and Drew passing both of them on Monday night for 540

I hate to watch it because it feels like if I watch it, he'll get the record. I know that's dumb and irrational, but that's how I feel. Always waiting for the other shoe to drop. If I don't watch, either I won't have to bear the sight of him getting the record, or he won't get it. Either way, I win.

I think Brees is overlooked because of his time in San Diego. He had to battle to get play time originally because the then coach was in love with Flutie. Don't get me wrong, Brady was not planned on being the starter and had to wait for Drew Bledsoe to get hurt. The biggest difference is that Brady had immediate support from his coach and Drew had to fight a bit harder for support. If the Saints had drafted Drew with Payton as coach and still had this type of success then I believe he would not be as overlooked. I think it is a shame because Drew is all talent and all heart. Peyton and Brady strive to be better than everyone else where I feel that Brees strives to be the best version of himself which is clearly better than the rest. This is just my take. I have been in love with the Saints since the mid-70's and Drew has earned my respect and admiration since his days at Purdue.

They’re scoring 30. Hope it comes from the ground game, special teams, and defense.

Too bad Drew will have at least 4 touchdown passes, but I’m thinking more like 6 on Monday night

They’re scoring 30. Hope it comes from the ground game, special teams, and defense.

Too bad Drew will have at least 4 touchdown passes, but I’m thinking more like 6 on Monday night
I would not be shocked to see Drew throw 6 TDs Monday night.

I feel sorry for the Colts after that loss we just suffered.

I think Brees is overlooked because of his time in San Diego. He had to battle to get play time originally because the then coach was in love with Flutie. Don't get me wrong, Brady was not planned on being the starter and had to wait for Drew Bledsoe to get hurt. The biggest difference is that Brady had immediate support from his coach and Drew had to fight a bit harder for support. If the Saints had drafted Drew with Payton as coach and still had this type of success then I believe he would not be as overlooked. I think it is a shame because Drew is all talent and all heart. Peyton and Brady strive to be better than everyone else where I feel that Brees strives to be the best version of himself which is clearly better than the rest. This is just my take. I have been in love with the Saints since the mid-70's and Drew has earned my respect and admiration since his days at Purdue.
He's overlooked because he suffered through 6 non winning seasons with the Saints.

He's overlooked because he's 8-7 in his playoff career because of 4 game winning drives that were ruined by his defense or kicker (San Diego). That's a legacy changer. 12 playoff wins minimum, and probably closer to 16 and 2nd place Joe Montana.

His career .590 career winning percentage (not far off from Philip Rivers territory, egad), which is behind all the QBs that will inevitably be listed ahead of him. Sadly and tragically. But we know 21 of the losses he suffered were fantastic game winning drives in the 4th quarter, all for naught. So a .590 career % would be a much impressive .635 career % if you just gave him 12 of those 21 heart breaking losses due to inept defenses. Add in a few more for inept kickers (drove Hartley out of the game) who couldn't bring home the victory and you're above .650, elite territory.

Drew Brees' career is truly one of triumph and tragedy. Unfortunately in his case it's been way too much of the latter.

Last edited:
Did anyone see the nbc article posted today. They have it totally backwards. Brees has 537 and Brady has 536. GEES, no pride in writing these days! Video is correct, apparently whoever wrote article did not bother to watch or do a simple google search.

Last edited:
Did anyone see the nbc article posted today. They have it totally backwards. Brees has 537 and Brady has 536. GEES, no pride in writing these days! Video is correct, apparently whoever wrote article did not bother to watch or do a simple google search.
Yeah, I sent the screenshot of that paragraph to the PFT twitter account. Still not fixed.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom