The random stuff from X thread (14 Viewers)

Unless it is a con.

Yes, I am that jaded. :hihi:

I understand and I am jaded as well but the odds are pretty low

I don't give like I used to since it seems like a large portion of the people begging in my area are young and don't have any obvious physical issues. The other day I was getting my fix at Walgreens and there was a guy sitting on the bench outside with swollen lower legs and feet with no shoes with covered sores. I had no idea what the circumstances were, but there is no way walking around on those feet wasn't agony so I bought him a pair of heavy duty slippers with a velcro strap and memory foam. They had a hard rubber base so I figured they would hold up for a good while to walking on pavement. Guy cried when i gave the slippers to him

I don't give like I used to since it seems like a large portion of the people begging in my area are young and don't have any obvious physical issues. The other day I was getting my fix at Walgreens and there was a guy sitting on the bench outside with swollen lower legs and feet with no shoes with covered sores. I had no idea what the circumstances were, but there is no way walking around on those feet wasn't agony so I bought him a pair of heavy duty slippers with a velcro strap and memory foam. They had a hard rubber base so I figured they would hold up for a good while to walking on pavement. Guy cried when i gave the slippers to him

I don't think it's the idea that someone would help someone else out that makes it suspect. I have seen people do similar things. You have done similar things. I have done similar things. I think there are all kinds of people out there who are kind-hearted.

But the video just seems too perfect. First, it just seems a bit odd that someone would be standing there recording that as it happened. The person was already recording before the card got declined, so why? That's weird, who stands there just recording your checkout line? And it was all very clear both in the shot and in the audio. Plus, it's at Target - and if you're in a situation where things are so tight that you're having to choose to not buy the diapers (that you presumably need) because you don't have the cash, I doubt you're making that tough call at Target . . . I think there are more obvious retail options to stretch the budget.

Even so, it doesn't really matter - people do things like that for other people every day in this country. It's wonderful. If this happened as presented, it's very kind. If it is staged but helps people feel good or maybe encourages someone else to do something similar, then that's good too. So there isn't much point in debating whether it's genuine.

I don't think it's the idea that someone would help someone else out that makes it suspect. I have seen people do similar things. You have done similar things. I have done similar things. I think there are all kinds of people out there who are kind-hearted.

But the video just seems too perfect. First, it just seems a bit odd that someone would be standing there recording that as it happened. The person was already recording before the card got declined, so why? That's weird, who stands there just recording your checkout line? And it was all very clear both in the shot and in the audio. Plus, it's at Target - and if you're in a situation where things are so tight that you're having to choose to not buy the diapers (that you presumably need) because you don't have the cash, I doubt you're making that tough call at Target . . . I think there are more obvious retail options to stretch the budget.

Even so, it doesn't really matter - people do things like that for other people every day in this country. It's wonderful. If this happened as presented, it's very kind. If it is staged but helps people feel good or maybe encourages someone else to do something similar, then that's good too. So there isn't much point in debating whether it's genuine.

Good point...I was coming at it from the wrong angle

I arrived at that line of thinking a while ago. Even if this stuff is "fake" or performative or whatever, it still sets an example that people should strive to emulate. So I'm fine with it either way.

Exactly.

When I was a kid, some Sunday nights we went to this avenue in my hometown (Paseo de Montejo) to walk along and usually sat down in one of the outdoor restaurants to have dinner. I'd spot this old beggar lady, and she'd walk around the tables, but never come to our table. One time I made a comment about it, wondering why she didn't come to our table, and my dad said "because she knows me and I know her. And I know she owns 3 houses she rents out".

I guess that was my lesson that day. That there are some people who will take advantage of others who want to do something good. There is an old saying that roughly translated says "do good deeds, and don't look who you do them for" (I believe a rewording of a Bible passage, but don't remember which one). Well, I do look.

Jaded, I tell ya. :hihi:

Exactly.

When I was a kid, some Sunday nights we went to this avenue in my hometown (Paseo de Montejo) to walk along and usually sat down in one of the outdoor restaurants to have dinner. I'd spot this old beggar lady, and she'd walk around the tables, but never come to our table. One time I made a comment about it, wondering why she didn't come to our table, and my dad said "because she knows me and I know her. And I know she owns 3 houses she rents out".

I guess that was my lesson that day. That there are some people who will take advantage of others who want to do something good. There is an old saying that roughly translated says "do good deeds, and don't look who you do them for" (I believe a rewording of a Bible passage, but don't remember which one). Well, I do look.

Jaded, I tell ya. :hihi:
Couldn’t the old saying be applied to witnessing good deeds as well?

. The other day I was getting my fix at Walgreens and there was a guy sitting on the bench outside with swollen lower legs and feet with no shoes with covered sores. I had no idea what the circumstances were, but there is no way walking around on those feet wasn't agony so I bought him a pair of heavy duty slippers with a velcro strap and memory foam.

a gift receipt should also be included in case of sizing errors.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom