The random stuff from X thread (9 Viewers)

This so much. I don’t feel bad when I pass all the idiots who refuse to use all available lanes to the merge point. You’re making traffic slower as a whole when you merge way early.
Wrong. When you fly up the left lane then cut in on people you slow everyone to a crawl. I've often wondered who the idiots were that do that. Just merge when you see the sign so everyone can keep moving at a pace instead of creating a log jam at the merge which slows everyone down

Wrong. When you fly up the left lane then cut in on people you slow everyone to a crawl. I've often wondered who the idiots were that do that. Just merge when you see the sign so everyone can keep moving at a pace instead of creating a log jam at the merge which slows everyone down
Very very wrong. Just look up zipper merge. There’s not a question about it.

I certainly wouldn’t recommend flying past a lane of stand still traffic, but cautiously passing that traffic at a safe speed up to the merge point improves traffic flow.

Using all legally available space for traffic improves traffic flow — to me, and to people who study traffic, that seems obvious. Traffic moves faster in two lanes than one. So use both the lanes as long as they’re available.

Very very wrong. Just look up zipper merge. There’s not a question about it.

I certainly wouldn’t recommend flying past a lane of stand still traffic, but cautiously passing that traffic at a safe speed up to the merge point improves traffic flow.

Using all legally available space for traffic improves traffic flow. Traffic moves faster in two lanes than one. So use both the lanes as long as they’re available.
So I think, technically, you're right. And, in many other places in the country, that works efficiently just like it was designed to. But in other places, LIKE NOLA, when you try to do that then the drivers in the already merged line go bumper-to-bumper trying to prevent the "cheater" from getting. That raises the risk of accidents and just screws the pooch for everyone.

But there's a special place reserved in hell for those people who jump the line at interstate exits during rush hour traffic. But even those people will be on the hell tier just above the idiots who are in the exit lane and blithely allowing the cheaters to jump in front due to their laissez-faire attitude.

Incorrect. It's the person in the thru lane gets upset that someone passed them up and refuses to leave room for them to zipper merge that slows things to a crawl.

Incorrect. It's the person in the thru lane gets upset that someone passed them up and refuses to leave room for them to zipper merge that slows things to a crawl.

Which is pretty much what happens at every merge and creates the jam. There is a zero point zero chance you're going to get the lanes flowing like the video. I typically allow people to merge unless they're pulling shenanigans and I always let semi's merge because I tow a 5th wheel thousands of miles a year and know how people are around large vehicles so I let those guys in.

So I think, technically, you're right. And, in many other places in the country, that works efficiently just like it was designed to. But in other places, LIKE NOLA, when you try to do that then the drivers in the already merged line go bumper-to-bumper trying to prevent the "cheater" from getting. That raises the risk of accidents and just screws the pooch for everyone.

It’s also against the law to intentionally keep another vehicle from merging.

Since i guess i have inadvertently turned this into a traffic thread- my HUGEST traffic pet peeve is whe you hear the sirens of a fire truck or ambulance behind you, then like a dutiful citizen, you pull over to let them by, as does everyone behind you.. BUT then some douche nozzle who HAS to get where he’s going a few seconds sooner than eveyrone else sees this as an opportunity to ‘beat traffic’ and he/she RUSHES back into the lane , mashing the accelerator barely milliseconds after the emergency vehicle has passed thru.. then everyone else who is trying to resume their way into traffic almost gets blindsided by this irresponsible moron who almost causes yet ANOTHER accident….. shake my damn everlovin’ head……

Since i guess i have inadvertently turned this into a traffic thread- my HUGEST traffic pet peeve is whe you hear the sirens of a fire truck or ambulance behind you, then like a dutiful citizen, you pull over to let them by, as does everyone behind you.. BUT then some douche nozzle who HAS to get where he’s going a few seconds sooner than eveyrone else sees this as an opportunity to ‘beat traffic’ and he/she RUSHES back into the lane , mashing the accelerator barely milliseconds after the emergency vehicle has passed thru.. then everyone else who is trying to resume their way into traffic almost gets blindsided by this irresponsible moron who almost causes yet ANOTHER accident….. shake my damn everlovin’ head……
I hadn’t run into that too often, but the inability of folks to comprehend the utility of the zipper merge is a pretty major cause of traffic problems. Construction and lane closures are almost inevitable if you travel on highways often. Get with the traffic science people! Spread the word!

Last edited:
Correct, because it depends on all human beings cooperation to do what is better for the common good than their personal interests.
I see what you’re getting at, but filling up the available traffic lanes to the merge point is both for the common good AND it’s in one’s personal interest, unless one enjoys extra time in traffic.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom