The random stuff from X thread (17 Viewers)

Was there 2 years ago to this day. My sister (and BIL) retired to a small village in France that is only about an hour train ride from Paris. I'm not really an art guy but the Louvre was absolutely stunning/amazing.....

The Louvre is awesome. The Mona Lisa? ... not so much.

Our guide informed us that in its time it was considered rather pedestrian. It only rose to such levels because it was stolen. I'm inclined to believe her based on her masters in art vs my inability to even get within 50 feet for an inspection.

i've had dozens of truly awesome museum moments - seeing Guernica face to face, same with Starry Night - Dali, Picasso and Rodin museums - all the Michelangelos in Florence - etc etc
seeing the Mona Lisa was probably the worst museum experience ever
The painting/presentation itself was kinda meh - but the public who was just there to see it and their collective horribleness was completely distressing

and for my tastes i prefer the D'orsay and Pompidou to the Lourve (though i do, certainly, recognize it as a splendid museum)

The Mona Lisa? ... not so much.
tomei.jpg

i've had dozens of truly awesome museum moments - seeing Guernica face to face, same with Starry Night - Dali, Picasso and Rodin museums - all the Michelangelos in Florence - etc etc
seeing the Mona Lisa was probably the worst museum experience ever
The painting/presentation itself was kinda meh - but the public who was just there to see it and their collective horribleness was completely distressing

and for my tastes i prefer the D'orsay and Pompidou to the Lourve (though i do, certainly, recognize it as a splendid museum)

Our Louvre experience was really good, but it was because we had a semi-private tour which turned out to be rather private when the other 2 couples dropped out. Our guide took us to some of the lesser known works, but she had such knowledge of the history and symbolism that it was fantastic. Wish I'd recorded it so I could remember it all.

It wasn't as moving as seeing David in Florence, but that was all on the guide who painted a picture with words to describe everything that the statue meant to Florence when it was constructed as well as the technical details of the work.

Our Louvre experience was really good, but it was because we had a semi-private tour which turned out to be rather private when the other 2 couples dropped out. Our guide took us to some of the lesser known works, but she had such knowledge of the history and symbolism that it was fantastic. Wish I'd recorded it so I could remember it all.

It wasn't as moving as seeing David in Florence, but that was all on the guide who painted a picture with words to describe everything that the statue meant to Florence when it was constructed as well as the technical details of the work.
that Lourve experience sounds amazing - would have loved to have done that
when i saw David, half of the scaffolding was already up around it and the power and majesty of that sculpture still read

As theatre that was brilliant, but (*puts on ‘that guy’ glasses*) choreographically that was meh- her dancing, though lovely, was not part of the narrative- and that’s especially true for the pole work (except for that awesome drop)
But her movement was wonderful- I had a friend who was also built like a brick****house, but moved as lithe and supple as this performer. It’s a beautiful thing to see

Her elbows are too pointy?

Oh, I agree. We were lucky as it wasn't crowded the day we went but I was much more interested in the Greek and Roman stuff....

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom