The Real Reason for the winning streak or Lets Run it shall we? (1 Viewer)

sfidc3

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
I railed on after the GB and Raiders losses (in which we ran only 19 then 20 times for 6 yards a pop in those games) how SP was actually going away from the strength of this offense and it was costing us. I honestly think after looking at the stats and the film of those games he fundamentally changed our offense to run first, run stats below since the start of our winning streak....

vs Lions (42 for 164, 4 yards a carry)
vs Chargers (25 for 95, 3.8 per)
vs Panthers (29 for 138, 4.8 per)
vs Bears (30 for 122, 4.1 per)
vs Bucs (37 for 138, 3.7)
vs 49ers (30 for 114, 3.8)
vs Falcons (36 for 166, 4.6)
vs Broncos (44 for 229, 5.2)

That, folks, is a major commitment to running the football. While they aren't super spectacular mind boggling crazy stats, they are steady and game winning results. Running the ball consistently like this has led to:

Shorter down and distance, extending drives which actually improves our passing game (Brees on 3rd and 2 or 3 instead of 9 or 10), is much more effective)
TOP dominance - which I believe does assist the D, keeping them fresher
Wearing down opposing defenses

There are other reasons for certain, the definite improvement of our D, despite the Brees injury we actually have been relatively healthy compared to other teams with respect to our offensive and defensive lines. But, to me, it's been the commitment to the running game by our offensive coaches that have really jump started this winning streak....Cheers all

Also what helps the Saints greatly is that when they run the ball they usually at least gain 3-4 yards and seldom get taken down behind LOS.

The run game coupled with the roster depth on defense will help keep the Saints D healthy, fresh and dominant.

Also what helps the Saints greatly is that when they run the ball they usually at least gain 3-4 yards and seldom get taken down behind LOS.

Exactly which enables a lot of 3rd and shorts, positive down and distance. While our backs and Taysom haven't ripped off any really long runs they've consistently gained 3-4+ yards....that wins games IMO....

As to running the ball more in the GB and LV games, in one of those (or maybe both - I don't recall), IIRC there were runs that we got stupid holding penalties on that put us so far behind on the down and distance we had to start passing.

With the exception of 2009, the Saints have been historically slow starting the season. I think, in addition to the run point, the defense is greatly improved.
The year Tampa Bay destroyed us using Fitzpatrick, i still cannot sleep at night. I have tried Melatonin, Tylenol PM, ETC. Nothing works. Anyone have suggestions?

With the exception of 2009, the Saints have been historically slow starting the season. I think, in addition to the run point, the defense is greatly improved.

IIRC, the new CBA cut down on practices and such prior to the season. I think that the Saints offense is so much timing and precision that after that, starts have been slow on offense. On defense, maybe DA's scheme is somewhat complicated that there are communication issues and such every start of the season. IDK. Just throwing stuff out there.

As to running the ball more in the GB and LV games, in one of those (or maybe both - I don't recall), IIRC there were runs that we got stupid holding penalties on that put us so far behind on the down and distance we had to start passing.

I just went through the game logs for both games. Most failed drives in the Raider game we had 1 run (most were 5+ yards) and 2 passes, could not find one instance of holding backing us up after a good 1st down run.

Same in the GB game, it seems we would run often on 1st down and then throw twice most of the time.

I think SP and staff identified that we were getting good push in the running game in both of those games only to wind up 3rd and long too often....just my opinion though.

But can anyone remember seeing us run so much on 2nd down as we have during this winning streak?

I love it when we use our jumbo personnel (with a 6th offensive lineman and 2 TE's plus a blocking WR and the RB and QB). That was the package Tay Train scored his long touchdown off of, with Will Clapp playing the role of the extra O lineman. Clapp had a great block on that play, which allowed Murray to cut back and run to daylight.

complimentary football has something to do with the win streak.

No doubt, I allude to this in my OP, more runs on 2nd downs, more 3rd and shorts, more extended drives, helps the defense as well.

But the defensive improvement is also a huge factor as well, agreed....

And yet people on the gameday forum consistently scream run the ball. Payton is a master at calling plays but a lot of saints fans think they are better play callers.

And yet people on the gameday forum consistently scream run the ball. Payton is a master at calling plays but a lot of saints fans think they are better play callers.

I was one of those until the winning streak started. The thing I like most about SP is the willingness to change based on what the offense does well....

On the flip side of that, you see how a lack of commitment to the run is a big reason why the Bucs are struggling despite their talent on offense.

With guys like Godwin, Evans, Brown and Gronk - could you imagine how effective they'd be if Brady could call a play-action on occasion. Arians hates running the ball almost as much as Andy Reid. Payton has the tendency on occasion to force pass when run is working, but I'm glad he's leaned a little more on Murray and Kamara since week 3.

It's been a big part of the turnaround.

On the flip side of that, you see how a lack of commitment to the run is a big reason why the Bucs are struggling despite their talent on offense.

With guys like Godwin, Evans, Brown and Gronk - could you imagine how effective they'd be if Brady could call a play-action on occasion. Arians hates running the ball almost as much as Andy Reid. Payton has the tendency on occasion to force pass when run is working, but I'm glad he's leaned a little more on Murray and Kamara since week 3.

It's been a big part of the turnaround.

Arians is awful, the Bucs oline is below average but can run block well enough to take some pressure off and as you state set up play action at times. Totally agreed.

Disagree on Reid, I don't think he hates to run it. While they certainly throw more than they run I believe it's because he thinks Mahomes with the ball much of the time gives them the best chance to win, can't argue with the success they've had.....

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom