The Real Reason for the winning streak or Lets Run it shall we? (1 Viewer)

Sure, run the ball. But you can't take anything from that game on Sunday as far as run/pass ratio and think it applies to other games. The opposing team literally had no QB. We got 12 possessions (NFL average is 8) and 3 short fields. Any team can score 31 points in that situation when there's no threat on the other side and you know you can punt over and over with zero risk.

I agree the Denver game may be a bit of an outlier but I felt it should be included. I don't think we will see that many runs in a game again this year....

Yes, but as I recall, Andy Reid's love for the passing game was one of the chief criticisms the Eagles fans had of Andy when he coached the Eagles.

I think this is correct, I remember McNabb throwing it a ton in games....

Potentially but the Saints even at the beginning of the season were running the ball on 1st down at a higher clip than anyone else in the league and more than they'd done during Paytons tenure here. AKA he didn't change the system during the losing streak...they got better at executing and it's allowed them to get comfortable enough leads so that they can run the ball more.

Great post though

Thanks EJW, most appreciated....I think you are correct on running on 1st down, it is the 2nd down runs that I think have greatly increased which have led to more 3rd and shorts. If I have time today I will go through the game logs during the streak to support that notion...Cheers

Against the raider, first 5 drives:
1 (5 run -5 pass): run incomplete run run run pass incomplete pass run pass incomplete FG
2 (7-2): R R R R I P R R R(TD)
3 (1-2) :R I P punt
4 (1-6) : P P P P I R P(TD)
5 (1-3): R I P INT
So that's 15 runs play vs 18 pass play. Pretty balanced.

Next drive
down 17-24 in the 3rd quarter, the drive 1st & 10 at LV 39. Holding, dump to Kamara, holding, blindside blocking = 2nd & 31 at NO 40.
Next drive, down 17-24, run, pass (1st down), incomplete short pass, run, incomplete short pass.
Next drive, down 17-31, with Raider burning up the clock, there's no more running.

Against GB,
1st drive: run, run, pass, punt
2nd drive, run, run, run (TD)
3rd drive, run, dump to kamara, sack, punt
4th drive, run, offensive pass interference, run, pass, run, run, run, run, incomplete pass, pass, pass, field goal
5th drive (2:40 left in half), sack, pass, pass, incomplete pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, incomplete pass, pass TD
6th drive: run, run, pass, pass, run, run, run, pass, run, pass, pass, FG
7th drive: run, pass, pass 52 yd TD
8th drive: pass, fumble
9th drive: pass, pass, pass, punt
10th drive (down 27-37 with under 2 min): 8 pass for a FG.

Not sure where anyone is seeing abandoning the run. Outside of the 2 drive with 2 min to go in the half, it's 19 run plays vs 17 pass plays

We threw the ball 38 times and only ran it 19 times (at 6 yards a carry). I do think some of this is situational though, good point....

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom