The Reason we need to draft a LB. (1 Viewer)

iwitnesskr

Black and Gold toThe Bone
Reaction score
We need corners as well, but as defense goes, LB's are your second line of defense. Great LB's bring more pressure. We don't have any aggression at the LB position. Fujita is a certified play-maker, and deserves to keep his spot. But Shanle and Simaneux have to go.
As does a great D-Line. I really think we should take Rivers from USC, or Laurinitis from Ohio State if he's there.

We need CB's as well, but we need linebackers that are athletic enough to blitz with a passion, and actually cover TE's. Shanle and Mark are liabilities in both areas.

If we go CB with the 10th pick and ignore the best available LB's, we'll still get killed by TE's, and still wont cause enough pressure with the LB Blitz to force the amount of turnovers required by championship caliber teams.

Just MHO.

Thoughts.

We need corners as well, but as defense goes, LB's are your second line of defense. Great LB's bring more pressure. We don't have any aggression at the LB position. Fujita is a certified play-maker, and deserves to keep his spot. But Shanle and Simaneux have to go.
As does a great D-Line. I really think we should take Rivers from USC, or Laurinitis from Ohio State if he's there.

We need CB's as well, but we need linebackers that are athletic enough to blitz with a passion, and actually cover TE's. Shanle and Mark are liabilities in both areas.

If we go CB with the 10th pick and ignore the best available LB's, we'll still get killed by TE's, and still wont cause enough pressure with the LB Blitz to force the amount of turnovers required by championship caliber teams.

Just MHO.

Thoughts.

i think we need to get a corner in FA then draft LB with 10..... that should help alot as long as we get the right guys!!!

i agree with this post totally

The corners are the last line of defense, we need to build that front 7, we can get corners late in the draft, we gotta get athletic play makers upfront, 1st-3rd round has to address the linebacker and dt tackle spot, we can pick up a solid corner through FA period (D. Florence)

We know we can pick up solid corners in free agency, but get back to me when we actually do.:hihi: How often have we seen corners drafted during the later rounds make an impact? Everything depends on the players signed during free agency.

If LB is the second line of defense?

What's the first?

D-Line. Which is why i would take an available Ellis over any LB available at #10.

The corners are the last line of defense, we need to build that front 7, we can get corners late in the draft, we gotta get athletic play makers upfront, 1st-3rd round has to address the linebacker and dt tackle spot, we can pick up a solid corner through FA period (D. Florence)

I wouldn't call Drayton solid, he's average. Far from a shutdown corner

i would be extremely happy with ellis or larinaitis, but i wouldnt be surprised if both are gone before we pick

If LB is the second line of defense?

What's the first?

D-Line. Which is why i would take an available Ellis over any LB available at #10.

:plus-un2: Except that I'm just starting to get more nervous that he won't be available. If he's not, I lean toward Phillips because I think we might be able to land Vince Hall or Bruce Davis, possibly even Dan Conner in the second. I think all of them are guys who can start and make a positive impact. Rivers is certainly a good choice and a good player, I just think letting Phillips go by would be a mistake. However, if Ellis is available, to me he has to be the choice (at this point...)

We know we can pick up solid corners in free agency, but get back to me when we actually do.:hihi: How often have we seen corners drafted during the later rounds make an impact? Everything depends on the players signed during free agency.

What round do you think these free agent corners were picked in?....like I was saying, you can pick up corners in the later round.

I see nothing wrong with Florence and he is a great choice to target during FA. The only reason he isn't starting is that he lost his spot to Cromartie...who just happened to light the ENTIRE NFL on fire with number of interceptions and returns for a TD. The person on the other side is some no name....LOL....Q. Jammer. Forence would start for just about any other team. SD Chargers just happen to have quality depth at the CB position.

My choices for us to target.....IF they are available and don't get re-signed or tagged:

1. Trufant....more than likely to get resigned by Seattle
2. Asomugha....more than likely to get resigned by Oakland
3. Hall....only way we get him is if Falcons agree to a trade within their own division....highly unlikely
4. Florence....a solid bet he can be had, since he could demand starter money and Chargers already have two starting young corners
5. Doss...I'm not sure if the Vikings will resign him and might be available for a one year deal to prove his worth....good stop gap if MM isn't a go for the beginning of the season
6. Hamlin...I think he'll be re-signed by the Cowboys.

So, it looks like the pickings are going to be slim or we're gonna have to break the bank. Florence has the highest likely hood of being signed and I think Doss can be, also. Either way, we need to target 3 of these 6 and hope to land 2 of them.

While I do think we need to draft a CB early, I'm starting to think that taking a LB or Safety in the first and a CB in the second is the route to go. If we can't land a QUALITY (not J. David material) FA, we will be forced to select one in round one and then go LB in the second round. We have average LBs aside from Fujita. We have NO ONE at CB with MM on IR!!

We should have a legitimate shot at one of the top three LBs at 10, so it's gonna be up to our scouting department to pick the RIGHT one for our system and one that can be a starter by the first snap of the season...no if's, and's, or but's about it...STARTER, not bench warmer!!!

An arguement can be made for taking any defensive player , in the top ten . Most notable corners do come from the first round , Jason David was a third round pick ( I think ) , and the 20th best corner( that year) , they go fast . If you don't pick one early; don't waste a latter pick .

I wouldn't call Drayton solid, he's average. Far from a shutdown corner

We don't need "shutdown" corners, there aren't even a lot of those and they even get burnt, we need solid corners, I'd rather have my front 7 be the strength my team than my corners.

Last edited:
We don't need "shutdown" corners, there aren't even a lot of those and they even get burnt, we need solid corners, I'd rather have.my front 7 be the strenght my team than my corners.

Agreed, I was just saying, he isn't that solid.
He shows sparks, and he doesn't get burnt that often. He's an upgrade over JD and a pass rush would make him look great.

The best teams have good OLines and DLines. If Ellis is there at 10, the Saints have to take him.

I know some people might think that it's Sullivan over Trufant all over again, but Sullivan was only a bust because he had a terrible work ethic. Don't know how that happened as he was seen as a hustler at Georgia, but some say it was bad influence from Grady Jackson.

Saints need pressure up the middle to stop QBs from stepping up in the pocket and having Will Smith run around them all game.

When the Saints made the NFC Championship last year, they had arguably the best Oline in the NFC along with one of the better DLines in the league. This year the OLine struggled some and the DLine played average most of the year.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom