The Reason we need to draft a LB. (1 Viewer)

If Ellis is there, you take him and don't think twice. Lineman are way more important than linebackers and harder to find IMHO. There are not enough athletic big men walking the face of this earth.

I see nothing wrong with Florence and he is a great choice to target during FA. The only reason he isn't starting is that he lost his spot to Cromartie...who just happened to light the ENTIRE NFL on fire with number of interceptions and returns for a TD. The person on the other side is some no name....LOL....Q. Jammer. Forence would start for just about any other team. SD Chargers just happen to have quality depth at the CB position.

My choices for us to target.....IF they are available and don't get re-signed or tagged:

1. Trufant....more than likely to get resigned by Seattle
2. Asomugha....more than likely to get resigned by Oakland
3. Hall....only way we get him is if Falcons agree to a trade within their own division....highly unlikely
4. Florence....a solid bet he can be had, since he could demand starter money and Chargers already have two starting young corners
5. Doss...I'm not sure if the Vikings will resign him and might be available for a one year deal to prove his worth....good stop gap if MM isn't a go for the beginning of the season
6. Hamlin...I think he'll be re-signed by the Cowboys.

So, it looks like the pickings are going to be slim or we're gonna have to break the bank. Florence has the highest likely hood of being signed and I think Doss can be, also. Either way, we need to target 3 of these 6 and hope to land 2 of them.

While I do think we need to draft a CB early, I'm starting to think that taking a LB or Safety in the first and a CB in the second is the route to go. If we can't land a QUALITY (not J. David material) FA, we will be forced to select one in round one and then go LB in the second round. We have average LBs aside from Fujita. We have NO ONE at CB with MM on IR!!

We should have a legitimate shot at one of the top three LBs at 10, so it's gonna be up to our scouting department to pick the RIGHT one for our system and one that can be a starter by the first snap of the season...no if's, and's, or but's about it...STARTER, not bench warmer!!!

Doss and Hamlin are safeties. Asomugha and Trufant (as well as Asante Samuel) will either be re-signed or tagged. Plain and simple, guys that good just don't walk. Nate Clements walked, but he's not as good as those guys, despite what his contract says. In fact, Clements is a borderline top-15 CB in this league. Drayton Florence is interesting, though. With the emergence of Cromartie, he's likely to walk. He's not a top-flight CB, but he'll be a huge upgrade over our current crop of... nothing.

I think one needs to look at several things before we decide whether a LB or CB should be our first pick.

1) Who do we get in FA. If we can get a top CB that makes our decision a little easier.

but more importantly is # 2

2) What kind of draft prospects are out there - are there good linebackers that will still be around in the second round. From what I am hearing this year has a deep linebacker draft potential -- if thats the case then a top CB should be our concern --

Finally

3) Who may drop to the 10th pick that may make our decision easier. No matter what our needs are if Glenn Dorsey or someone like him drops we have to take him -- same with McFadden

I really think we should take Rivers from USC, or Laurinitis from Ohio State if he's there.

Why Rivers and not Maualuga? Maualuga was everywhere in their bowl game. That was the only game I watched of USC this year, so just curious, I don't know.

Why Rivers and not Maualuga? Maualuga was everywhere in their bowl game. That was the only game I watched of USC this year, so just curious, I don't know.

he is not coming out - he's stated several times he is going back to USC

Also, if you talk to USC fans, a lot of them are critical of Rey - he hits hard and is a tenacious tackler. But he's raw in a lot of ways and makes a lot of critical errors and doesn't play disciplined defense.

He - and Rivers for that matter - benefit from having Ellis up front.

I'd take Ellis in a heartbeat. I'd consider jumping Cincy at 9 to grab him.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom