The Reason We See A "Slump" On Offense (1 Viewer)

St. PJ

Super Forum Fanatic
Reaction score
The recent woes on offense have nothing to do with the skill players we do or don't have on the field. A seasoned veteran at WR may contribute for a few catches each game, but not having that guy isn't the culprit. When this offense is clicking, one element is what opens the field and forces a defense to defend every square inch - horizontally and vertically. The Saints have the "roles" filled at skill positions to accomplish that; the missing element is what allows this stretching to occur. Drew isn't the cause for concern either. Many have noted he has looked "off" the laft few weeks. Neither is Drew's arm fatigued, nor is Drew losing his touch or ___ fear concerning Drew. The problem with the offense started when Armstead went down. Dallas was the first team to take full advantage of this (they had the personnel to do so) and Tampa's defensive line matched up in a similar way. The missing element is pass protection. When the 5 starters are playing together, time exists for your speed guy to stretch the defense, allowing your possession and slot guy room to operate. No time to stretch the field means that veteran WR we were hoping to fill that 2nd WR role has to be damn crafty or explosive out of his breaks to get separation, because the safeties aren't playing as deep and his space to operate in is more congested.

Simply, Drew does not have the time nor pocket to pick apart a defense. He hasn't been able to step up and step into many of his throws. His internal clock has shortened a half second, and he's rushing to get the ball out; they aren't taking many deep shots at all (maybe 2 a game). Went through a similar few games last year when the offensive line was in flux. I remember a Panther game where they refused to throw the ball more than 20 yards and went almost an entire game without stretching Carolina's defense... maddening, but Payton/Brees were confident they'd pull out a win with a more conservative plan aimed at protecting Drew. We went through an entire season of not being able to stretch the field the year prior to Brandin Cooks, but that had much more to do with personnel at WR. That's not the issue this season; with time, Drew hits whatever poison the defense chooses, and someone is almost always open because #10 is a viable threat when Drew can take a 5 step drop, and defenses have to respect and defend that. Unless they have the personnel to get pressure with their front 4 consistently and quickly.

The good news is that Carolina does not have personnel to generate that kind of pressure consistently. And we get to play them twice, at a time when they are maybe imploding because they picked the wrong guy to be a "leader". The Saints can very well afford to hold a healthy Ginn back, and they can afford to let Armstead heal as much as possible before the playoffs start. The selfish part of me really truly hopes that Carolina decides to dedicate all their resources to taking Rhythm and Bruise away, so that the staff is forced to let Drew be Drew, because I really don't believe they can stop him, and I think he needs to have a few more vintage "put it on Drew's shoulders" games to secure what should be his 3rd or 4th MVP.

Nice analogy and I can agree on multiple points. But you hit the nail on the head with our most glaring issue, and that is Drew having that clean pocket to step into his throws.

It was something that affected him in the past when we were doing a lot of line shuffling. Having Armstead go down without a close as possible replacement shows against a decent DL.

I know Bushrod has been through a lot with the loss of his kid and I admire his fortitude for it, but he is not the stop-gap that we need, or to at least a bit more serviceable.

I think any high powered offense is bound to eventually slow down.

Late in the season, teams start running the ball more and trying to look for new ways to move the chains on offense to change things up.

They'll get back on track. I think Payton is saving the real juice for the playoffs.

We were bound to have a lull somewhere. It's irrational to think we were going to score 40 points in every game.

I think this is a good 'head check' for us, much like the 2009 team got a fresh mindset to start the playoffs after losing the last 3 of the regular season.

Stop, stop, stop. Regardless of the offensive shortcomings, the defense is owed a huge amount of respect for keeping this team in these games. Offense now has to figure out a way to match the defense.

Good analysis. Defenses have our tendencies on tape by now. I know that personnel groupings are the closest thing we have to a "tell". It was that way with Graham and Sproles. You knew what was coming by keying on those guys. I think defenses have learned to key in on Kamara and Thomas, and look for the run with Ingram in the game. Those second tier players have just not been getting it done. With Drew facing more pressure, those deficiencies are really showing up.

Good analysis. Defenses have our tendencies on tape by now. I know that personnel groupings are the closest thing we have to a "tell". It was that way with Graham and Sproles. You knew what was coming by keying on those guys. I think defenses have learned to key in on Kamara and Thomas, and look for the run with Ingram in the game. Those second tier players have just not been getting it done. With Drew facing more pressure, those deficiencies are really showing up.
I think this is just as much the issue as the line play. Dallas was prepared for everything that went Kamara or Thomas’s way.

On Kamara’s option route he runs outside 9/10 times. They used that by forcing him out so they’re not vulnerable inside and then breaking as soon as he thought about cutting. And they knew when the screen was coming.

We couldn’t adjust. We needed to show them what they thought they saw coming and do something different.

But our offense was rolling the weeks before so we went with our tendencies. Don’t get too comfortable in this league.

I completely agree. The news about Armstead if true from Pete (can't believe I just used Pete as a source) is very unfortunate, in my opinion he is the 2nd most important person to our offense. But like some have said a 75% Armstead is better then a 100% Bushrod.

I also believe part of the problem has been play calling. The good news is Sean and Drew know EXACTLY how to attack a panthers defense who we play 2 out of the next 3, and we also get the Steelers at home where we all believe we will not lose another game this season.

And if you look at last year in Minnesota, Payton had some amazing play calls he hadn't used all season, for example the Willie Snead pass to Kamara that would have been an easy TD if it was an accurate throw.

I think our offense will pick it up these next 3 games and come playoff time, in that dome, with playoff Payton & Brees, we will light any defense we see up. And this entire post didn't even include our defense that has suddenly reached the top 10. Whatever "slump" we have been in, 29 other teams in the NFL would have loved for that to be their "slump". Get ready guys our final dance to the super bowl is about to begin on Monday Night.

Oddly enough the Rams have a 2-game offensive slump happening at the same time, in basically the same circumstances as the Saints.

1 game vs. a top-tier defense (Cowboys -> Bears)
1 game vs. a "meh" opponent (Bucs -> Lions)

Both teams are playing against below average defenses this week. It'll be interesting to see how each responds.

Guess it’s time for Loomis to call Armstead into his office, sit ‘em down, and dust off the “Come her son” speech.
What difference would that make? Guy has an injury. Not like he’s milking it. Bushrod is doing just fine replacing him. Not great but he’s doing enough. Peat hobbling is probably the bigger issue, but you really can’t rest both.

The Saints were hot and on a run just like the Rams. Then they started to sputter a bit. But, notice what got them going? Good old power running from Ingram. Something that the Saints really haven’t done this year. Maybe i

I think Drew has been forced to throw to his first open receiver a lot, and that's usually Mike. Thus the reason our other WR's aren't getting targeted as much as usual.

Agree with that assessment. Armstead and the O line are the glue that hold this team together. He’s even more valuable than people realized.

Nice analogy and I can agree on multiple points. But you hit the nail on the head with our most glaring issue, and that is Drew having that clean pocket to step into his throws.

It was something that affected him in the past when we were doing a lot of line shuffling. Having Armstead go down without a close as possible replacement shows against a decent DL.

I know Bushrod has been through a lot with the loss of his kid and I admire his fortitude for it, but he is not the stop-gap that we need, or to at least a bit more serviceable.
I mean he kinda has been. Bushrod wasn’t brought here to start multiple games. He was a stop gap back up tackle who could come in and play decent for 1-2 games. He did that vs the Bengals, Eagles, and Falcons. But he’s over the hill and his weaknesses were going to show up eventually. I think he’s play good for what he is but eventually most back up tackles will struggle if they have to start multiple games. So this isn’t me disagreeing with you mostly as me taking up for Bushrod.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom