The recent "hate" on Lattimore (1 Viewer)

SaintsFanatic

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
I know Lattimore has taken some flack for last game and i just wanted to throw my .02 and see if anyone thought the same...

Now i don't watch film, so he may very well have been bad last game, but i wanted to comment on the 2 "big" plays that he was getting heat for.

The first one, the bomb to Cooks. I don't know about you guys, but I don't see anything else he could have done there. I think what was lost in all the madness was how ridiculous of a throw/catch that was by
Goff/Cooks. I mean, he just launbhed a 57yd bomb to one of the fastest players on the field, and Cooks was able to navigate to the ball, running full speed, and catch a completely over the shoulder bomb with Latt not far behind. I mean sometimes you just can't defend a good offensive play. It's actually pretty crazy that htese guys make this catch look routine but it's super underrated imo. I ask again, what else could Latt have done there? (also,, williams was like 6 yards behiind as usual).

Second play, the slant TD to cooks in the red zone. I mean, look at the play again; this ball was thrown in such a small window I can't comprehend how it wasn't batted down or tipped. I haven't seen any replays so maybe I'm overstating, but that was pretty ridiculous. Again, Latt was in a pretty good position, but the ball was just thrown perfect. Not much he could have done about that.

Maybe he was terrible the rest of the game, i know he missed theh tackle on Kupp on the beast mode play, but Williams was also starting the play 21 yards down the field and was the safety valve. He missed the tackle.

Recent?

He’s been getting called out since the first game last season.

Players will have bad games and possibly even ‘off’ seasons in hindsight... but Lattimore is extremely talented and his upside is always the Sky.

He is a difference maker. The kind of guy that when things get going, you’re so glad he’s on your side.

Don’t even think of shoveling a dude like this off to the side. The league would pounce on his name. Teams would bend over backwards and sideways in a second and then laugh about the squad who let him slide.

Lattimore will be fine.

Last edited:
Honestly, I think opposing WRs make catches that are damn near perfect wayyyyy too much against the Saints. Sometimes the coverage is perfect. Other times not, but it never ceases to amaze me how unlucky we get with the absolute perfect placement of some of these throws and catches. Routinely.

I’m not hating on lattimore when I say he’s not as good as he or some fans think. He’s a good cb. He gets beat sometimes, happens to everyone. My only issue is that he and some saints fans talk like he’s the best cb in the league.

He definitely isn’t bad.

Honestly, I think opposing WRs make catches that are damn near perfect wayyyyy too much against the Saints. Sometimes the coverage is perfect. Other times not, but it never ceases to amaze me how unlucky we get with the absolute perfect placement of some of these throws and catches. Routinely.

ha! I feel this way too. Receivers make some pretty absurd catches on us when our guys are draped all over them.

It is what it is. CB besides QB is the hardest position in football. Doesn't help either that the N.F.L rules are in favor of the offense. The days of a lock down corner like Revis Island are over

I agree, but think about how other teams feel when they play Drew Brees...

Yea dude held hop to 51 yards it’s not like he forgot how to play last game, also I bet most of the defense was gassed after the offense couldn’t find a rhythm
This statements “the offense couldn’t find a rhythm” really angered me. It’s not wrong, but the offense was never allowed to find a rhythm. Whether the penalties were justified, even, etc. Foot Locker killed every one of our drives.

Because of that, the defense was gassed. Now there are umpteen different narratives out there, like “weak secondary” that may or may not be accurate, because we were never allowed to play our game. Allowed x rushing yards, etc. - do we really know how our defense would have performed in a “normal” game? Maybe we’ll, maybe just as poorly. Hopefully we get a chance to find out.

I think Latt is doing okay, but could definitely be better. On the plays you mentioned, I agree that there wasn’t too much more he could do. Right now, the entire secondary is leaky, and we are giving up the deep ball too easily.

If I were the opposing team, I would throw deep against us often, because that’s our weakness. Not sure why, honestly, when we have two 1st rd picks at corner and have drafted heavily at safety the past few years.

The talent seems to be there, but something is just off. Scheme? I don’t know. We are leading the league in sacks, and had you told me that before the season started, I would never guess our secondary would be struggling like it is.

I know Lattimore has taken some flack for last game and i just wanted to throw my .02 and see if anyone thought the same...

Now i don't watch film, so he may very well have been bad last game, but i wanted to comment on the 2 "big" plays that he was getting heat for.

The first one, the bomb to Cooks. I don't know about you guys, but I don't see anything else he could have done there. I think what was lost in all the madness was how ridiculous of a throw/catch that was by
Goff/Cooks. I mean, he just launbhed a 57yd bomb to one of the fastest players on the field, and Cooks was able to navigate to the ball, running full speed, and catch a completely over the shoulder bomb with Latt not far behind. I mean sometimes you just can't defend a good offensive play. It's actually pretty crazy that htese guys make this catch look routine but it's super underrated imo. I ask again, what else could Latt have done there? (also,, williams was like 6 yards behiind as usual).

Second play, the slant TD to cooks in the red zone. I mean, look at the play again; this ball was thrown in such a small window I can't comprehend how it wasn't batted down or tipped. I haven't seen any replays so maybe I'm overstating, but that was pretty ridiculous. Again, Latt was in a pretty good position, but the ball was just thrown perfect. Not much he could have done about that.

Maybe he was terrible the rest of the game, i know he missed theh tackle on Kupp on the beast mode play, but Williams was also starting the play 21 yards down the field and was the safety valve. He missed the tackle.

William's play is so bad, it's making everyone else look bad

Also this team better learn how to tackle bc they have missed an unusual amount of tackles to start the season

Well let's keep in mind that on this play in question, it was 3rd & 16. The only way you get beat is right down the field on a Go route, and that is exactly what was given up.

Lattimore was up in press, but didn't really get much of a jam or redirect as Cooks won off the line, and then immediately went into trail position. Which leads you to believe he was expecting Safety help behind him all the way...

the problem is Marcus Williams was caught flat flooted, staring at the Quarterback... (which is happening a lot on big plays down the field) We don't really know if this was a Dennis Allen call, an Aaron Glenn call, or Marshon, and Marcus work it out before the snap, but it's another blown coverage in a crucial 3rd and Long. Which is getting really frustrating, and they keep saying they will clean it up but we keep seeing the same mistakes in the secondary.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom