Food The Recipe Thread [tm--CajunCook] (2 Viewers)

Local grocery store was running a deal on cut-up whole chicken fryers the other day for 29 cents a pound, so I picked one up and fixed one of my favorite recipes from a West African restaurant in South Tulsa.

African Peanut Butter Chicken.

1 (approx. 3 lb) whole fryer, cut up
2 medium onions, chopped
2-3 cloves garlic, chopped
2 cups chicken broth
1/2 cup chunky peanut butter
1 6oz can tomato paste
Tony's
Louisiana Gold hot sauce, or whatever your favorite is
Olive or cooking oil

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Brown chicken pieces in a pan in oil about 2-3 at a time. Transfer browned chicken pieces to a casserole dish. Saute onions and garlic until brown, then put on top of the chicken pieces. Heat chicken broth to simmering, then add tomato paste, peanut butter, Tony's and hot sauce to taste. Pour sauce mixture over chicken, then bake covered for 45-50 minutes or cooked thoroughly. Serve over hot cooked rice.

Here is, quite possibly, my absolute best summer 2010 creation: this chilled dish is great on a hot summer evening. This is an unbelievable version of ceviche! I spliced this from 2 different recipes I found online. I have now made 4 batches in the past 2 weeks. (It IS that good) - Don't skimp on the avocado...

Coctel de Mariscos version 1.0

Old Bay seasoning
1 Lemon
4 limes
1 lb peeled small shrimp
1 lb scallops (small)
½ cup fresh lime juice (use 1/3 cup if you go heavy with the lemon on the seafood)
¼ cup ketchup
1 ½ Tbs Tapatio hot sauce
1 tsp Worcestershire
½ small purple onion, finely diced
1 medium cucumber, peeled, seeded, chopped fine
1 Tbs finely chopped garlic
½ cup chopped cilantro
3 Jalapenos, finely diced
1 avocado, diced
1 ½ cups Clamato juice

Steam the seafood
1. Boil 3 Tbs Old Bay seasoning, with ½ lemon in salted water
2. Steam shrimp (few minutes until just done)
3. Remove, add some fresh lemon juice and chill (place in freezer)
4. Steam scallops (couple minutes or until done)
5. Remove, add some fresh lemon juice and chill (place in freezer)

Combine the following ingredients (except avocado):
½ cup lime juice
¼ cup ketchup
1 ½ Tbs Tapatio hot sauce
1 tsp Worcestershire
½ purple onion, finely diced
1 medium cucumber, peeled seeded, chopped fine
1 Tbs garlic
½ cup cilantro
Jalapeno
1 ½ cups Clamato juice

Add the seafood, and chill for at least 30 min.

Serve in martini/margarita glasses with lime wedge and garnish with cubed avocado on top.

Attachments

• Coctel_de_Mariscos.jpg
    Coctel_de_Mariscos.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 7
sausage cheese balls are money. That was one of the recipes I requested from my mom when I moved out. I still have a dirty worn set of index cards my mom wrote out for me years ago.

I love 'em too, but FEO is posting a fraud.

Sausage balls must have jalapenos or they're not acceptable.:ezbill:

I love 'em too, but FEO is posting a fraud.

Sausage balls must have jalapenos or they're not acceptable.:ezbill:

Outed. :covri:

Funny thing is, I've got the sausage and cheese in the fridge. I'd have made them today, but I discovered that I'm out of biscuit mix. Now I know what else I need to get tomorrow. :9:

I posted this on the Saints board but no one has responded. I thought I might have better luck here. Can someone help this non-cook with ingredient porportions and time of marination? It looked like an easy good tasting recipe.
<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/gFJZGRTvhqs?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/gFJZGRTvhqs?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Looks good. I'd cook it!

I'm trying to figure out what the missing ingredient is, though. I think it was a pasting error, and that the "2 tablespoons" hanging there by itself is referring to the 2 tablespoons bourbon already mentioned.

That recipe is in the Dream Big Foundation Cookbook if anyone has one to check (I don't).

Totally gonna have to try some of these.

Here's a good chili recipe I use occasionally.

2lbs ground beef browned and drained
1 small onion chopped
1 teaspoon of each: salt, pepper, chili powder, garlic powder
1 can each of: chili beans, mexican beans, pinto beans, kidney beans, black beans, white northern
2 cans of rotel
Do not drain the juice from the cans of beans or rotel

Mix all together in a crock pot and simmer for 2-4 hours before serving.

Delish!

A bread dip from Syracuse's "Pastabilities"

Spicy Hot Tomato Sauce

Ingredients:
Crushed tomatoes - 2 cans
6 cloves Garlic
2 cups Olive Oil
A Lot of Crushed Red Pepper
1/2 a chopped onion
A Bay Leaf
Dried Oregano
Cumin
Salt
Sugar
Breadcrumbs
*Sriracha sauce! Spicy!

Mince up some garlic - a lot! Put a ton of olive oil in a big pan, nice and hot, and throw in the garlic and a lot of crushed red pepper. A lot! A whole lot. Cook the garlic w/ the pepper until it's nice and browned, more brown that you normally would for cooking. You want it to be a nice medium brown toasted color. Add a 1/2 onion finely chopped and sautee for a little while.

Throw in 2 big cans of the most authentic-Italian looking crushed tomatoes you can find. Add some dried oregano, and a bay leaf. Add some cumin if you have it. Let it sit and gently simmer for a while.

Add plenty of salt, don't be shy! Also add a good amount sugar - start with two tablespoons and keep adding until the flavor starts out with a bang, before the herb flavors kick in. Add some breadcrumbs to thicken the sauce up a bit if it's too soupy.

Throw in just a little bit of Sriracha! Top it off with some fresh basil when you serve it.

p_tom_oil.jpg

This surely isn't gourmet or anything, but it's so damn easy, I thought I'd post. We've been having this from time to time and the flavor is always awesome.

Slow Cooked Mexican Chicken
Basic Version:
Two chicken breasts
1 cup water (or chicken stock)
1 cup salsa (from a jar is fine)
1 package taco seasoning

Put in slow cooker together - cook on low (you can probably get by with 3 hours but longer is better)

To add more flavor, add some diced fresh jalapeno. Serve in any kind of taco shell or tortilla. We like to use the small soft tortillas and add some fresh cilantro (or avocado if you have it).

My avocado egg salad recipe (yes, real men can eat croissants)

2 hard boiled eggs
1 ripe haas avocado
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
1 tablespoon mayo
1 teaspoon seasoning mix of choice
1 tablespoon dill relish

first peel and mash the eggs, next add all ingredients except the avocado and dill relish, incorporate all.

once the eggs and seasoning are mixed well add whole avocado and dill relish and slowly incorporate all ingredients and place in a bowl covered with tin foil. let the mix sit in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours.

makes enough for 2 big or 3 small sandwiches.

you are welcome :)

Anyone got and recipes that I can try here in the UK? A lot of ingredients mentioned are not available in UK.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom