Food The Recipe Thread [tm--CajunCook] (3 Viewers)

RebSaint

Lint smoker
Reaction score
Figured I'd resurrect this classic right here. Hopefully CC can stop in once in awhile and give a few tips for the amateurs.

I'm going to attempt my hand at a Shrimp Curry today. Depending on how it goes, I'll post the recipe.

In the beginning there was Andrus, and he was hungry:

Ok....It's got to be Cajun or Creole cookin'. And it's gotta be good! Entree's appetizers, side dishes, the works. I'm doing this for the displaced fans (and for my own appetite) and know one thing for sure... home cooking recipes always seem to be better when I get them from you guys than when I try to pull them off out of some book ;-)

BB&G

Andrus

Previous recipe thread LINKS!

RECIPE THREAD VOLUME I

RECIPE THREAD VOLUME II

Catorgarized Recipes

Last edited by a moderator:
Tuna Salad
-one hard boiled egg, chopped
-1/2 stalk celery, chopped
-2 cans tuna, drained
-1/4 cup mayo
-2 tbsp. relish
-1 tsp. lemon pepper
-1 tsp. tony's

:9:

Broiled Chicken and Gravy/Mushroom Chicken/Chicken Italiano

I took three chicken legs, sprinkled them liberally with salt and lemon pepper, then baked them in a cast iorn skillet at 350 for 45 minutes.

Afterward, I removed the chicken and put the skillet with drippings on a medium fire on top of the stove. I threw in some chopped onion and sauteed until they turned clear.

Then, I added a couple of tablespoons of flour, stirring quickly and briskly until it turned golden brown.

Swish!!!!! A cup of cold water. Want to get really fat? Use cream or Half & Half instead of water. More rapid stirring. Reduce the heat. Add a bit more water. Let simmmer until thick.

Outstanding chicken gravy over rice, with baked chicken, buttered corn, sweet pickles and a Mason jar full of sweetened iced tea.

*You can vary this basic dish by adding a can of Cream of Mushroom soup to the gravy and put the chicken back into the gravy for a slow simmer with a pile of mushrooms.

**You can make it an Italian dish by adding chunky spaghetti sauce to the gravy and cooking spaghetti instead of rice.

Turned out great.

Ingredients:

Half pound of shrimp.
I tablespoon of Curry
1 tablespoon of garam masala (cinnimon, cumin, salt)
Few shakes of Basil.
2 onions.
one half a clove of garlic
1 cup of coconut half and half mixture (for coffee)
1 half of a jalepino pepper
2 tablespoons of ginger.
Salt and pepper to taste
1 teaspoon of tumeric.
2-3 bay leaves.
Basmati rice
1 can of diced tomatoes
1 teaspoon of curry.
6-7 cloves
2 small bags of salted cashews

Sautee onions, garlic (chopped) with some salt and pepper in deep pan. Cook until golden brown, then add tomatos and all spices except cumin, tumeric, curry, and garam masala.

Cook for ~ 7 minutes. Add shrimp and curry, tumeric, cumin, and garam masala. Cook for ~ 2-3 minutes. Add shrimp with coconut-flavored half and half and salted cashewes. Cook for ~ 7 to 10 minutes until shrimp are cooked.

Serve over a bed of basmati rice.

I sauteed the vegtables then transferred the rest to a wok. The mixture should be a yellowish-green color.

I was surprised how well all the spices mixed; one has to take great care in not go overboard in any one spice. I thought I added too much coconut milk, but it ultimately cooked down and balanced out the other stronger ingredients.

Turned out great.

Ingredients:

Half pound of shrimp.
I tablespoon of Curry
1 tablespoon of garam masala (cinnimon, cumin, salt)
Few shakes of Basil.
2 onions.
one half a clove of garlic
1 cup of coconut half and half mixture (for coffee)
1 half of a jalepino pepper
2 tablespoons of ginger.
Salt and pepper to taste
1 teaspoon of tumeric.
2-3 bay leaves.
Basmati rice
1 can of diced tomatoes
1 teaspoon of curry.
6-7 cloves
2 small bags of salted cashews

Sautee onions, garlic (chopped) with some salt and pepper in deep pan. Cook until golden brown, then add tomatos and all spices except cumin, tumeric, curry, and garam masala.

Cook for ~ 7 minutes. Add shrimp and curry, tumeric, cumin, and garam masala. Cook for ~ 2-3 minutes. Add shrimp with coconut-flavored half and half and salted cashewes. Cook for ~ 7 to 10 minutes until shrimp are cooked.

Serve over a bed of basmati rice.

I sauteed the vegtables then transferred the rest to a wok. The mixture should be a yellowish-green color.

I was surprised how well all the spices mixed; one has to take great care in not go overboard in any one spice. I thought I added too much coconut milk, but it ultimately cooked down and balanced out the other stronger ingredients.

Bumping this thread for Jayden.

RebSaint's Excellent Eggplant Parmesan:

Ingredients:

2 Large Eggplants.
Salt to taste (added in the sauteed onion and garlic)
4 Roma Tomatoes and
one can of tomato sauce
Bread Crumbs
3 beaten eggs
2 tablespoons of:
Basil
Oregano
1 teaspoon of:
Thyme
Dill
One Onion, chopped
One Bulb of garlic, chopped finely
Two blocks of Parmesan/mozerrella cheese
Black pepper to taste.
Olive/vegtable oil
Dashes of paprika seasoning
Directions:

Cut eggplants into 1/4 inch slices into collander, coating each slice with salt to force out the excess water; let stand for 2 hours.

Puree tomatos, and sautee onions and garlic in a frying pan with olive oil or vegetable oil until golden brown, combine spice (salt, basil, oregano, thyme, black pepper). Combine ingredients in a bowl an set aside.

Cut eggplant in 1/4 slices, dip in beaten eggs and fry to a golden brown.
Place in deep casserole dish.

Place eggplant into a greased casserol dish, coating it with sliced romano cheese; coat with tomato sauce; coat with breadcrumbs; coat Parmesan cheese; coat with paprika seasoning.

Stick it in the oven at 425 degrees for 15-20 minutes.

Last edited:
I wasn't thinking.. So I grabbed a couple shrimps I had lying around in the fridge... threw them in some butter, olive oil and some crushed garlic... After about 3 minutes I accidentally threw them in a fondue pot of White Wine, Cream cheese, Parmeson, and cheddar...

Grilled Drum Fish with Shrimp and Pistachio Lime Sauce (part of Chef Brigtsen's 2nd place "Rebuilt Louisiana Seafood Platter" (Featured the recipe below, Baked Oysters with Asparagus, crabmeat, lemon and parmesian; Crabmeat Thermidor; Marinated Crab Claws with Green Onion Sauce; Jalapeno Shrimp Cole Slaw
----------------------------------------------------------
Ingredients:

1/2 lb. Unsalted Butter, softened
1/2 cup Pistachios, shelled
1/2 tsp. Salt
1 tsp. Lime zest, finely chopped
1 Tbsp. Lime Juice
3 drops Tabasco pper sauce
8 4-oz Louisiana Black Drum filets (about 1/2" thick)
8-10 tsp. Chef Paul Prudhomme's Seafood Magic Seasoning
1/2 cup Clarified butter
4 Tbsp. Unsalted butter
16 Large Louisiana Shrimp, peeled
1/2 cup Shrimp Stock

In a food processor, add the half-pound softened butter, pistachios, salt, lime zest, lime juice and tabasco. Process until the Pistachios are finely ground and the mixture is fully blended. Set aside.

Season each drum filet with about 1 teaspoon of seafood seasoning. Pass the drum filets through clarified butter and cook on a flat-top grill or preheated cast iron skillet until done, about 3-4 minutes on the first side and 2-3 minutes on the second side.

Melt four tablespoons of butter in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add the shrimp and cook until the shrimp turn pink on the outside.

Add the shrimp stock and bring to a boil. Add the pistachio lime butter and cook, shaking the skillet constantly, just until the butter melts into the sauce.

To serve, place the cooked drum filets on serving plates and top each filet with 2 shrimp and 3-4 tablespoons of sauce.

Let me know how good it is.

:)

ThisreciPecomplimentSoflouisianaconservationistandldw&f

"Reindeer brain cake"

* Ingredients
- 2 reindeer brains
- 2 dl rye flour
- 1/2 dl wheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
* How to prepare it
1.) Soak the brains in water for a couple of hours
2.) Remove the outer membrane from the brains
3.) Ground the brains
4.) Mix the ground brains with the flour, salt and a bit of water.
5.) Form this mixture into a round, flat cake
6.) Bake the cake from both sides on a pan set (at an angle) next to an open fire (takes approximately 30-45 minutes)
Notice: the cake gets a nicer colour if it is lightly coated with reindeer fat before baking

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom