Food The Recipe Thread [tm--CajunCook] (1 Viewer)

Anyone got and recipes that I can try here in the UK? A lot of ingredients mentioned are not available in UK.

I know that one-or-two members here are in the UK and they do their best to re-create Louisiana cuisine with needed substitutions. I'd imagine they might chime in before long and help steer you on the path to perfection. ;)

In fact, I think I'll PM one of them and see if he'll help you out. :9:

Not sure if any o' y'alluh interested, but if you get RFDTV (RFD-TV :: Rural America's Most Important Network) check out Ms. Lucy's Classic Cajun Culture & Cooking. It comes on at 1AM CST, so I just record it. She's cute as a bug's ear, and her recipes are righteous; it's like sittin' in my favorite Auntie's or my Grammaw's kitchen while they cooked. I'm tellin' you, you'll just feel better after watchin' one of her shows. Better, an' HONGRY!

LPB: Ms. Lucy's Classic Cajun Culture & Cooking

3Gqhm.jpg

Seafood Fettuccini with a walnut garlic ricotta sauce

This is an awesome and EASY cream sauce for pretty much any pasta. The sauce takes about 5 minutes in the blender and it's done, no cooking required. This time I incorporated some seafood. 1 small clove of garlic was plenty since raw garlic is so strong.

Pasta Sauce:

1/4 cup walnuts
1 small clove garlic
1/4 cup part skim ricotta cheese
1/4 cup parmesan
1/2 cup heavy whipping cream (can substitute milk)
few drops of Truffle Oil (optional)

Add all to the blender, BRIEFLY puree until smooth (add additional milk if necessary) and toss with the fettuccini.
Garnish with some green onion

Seafood - I cooked the scallops and shrimp separately due to size difference (optional)

6 Sea scallops (large ones)
1/2 lb large shrimp (peeled)
1 Tb Canola oil
Lemon juice (from about 3 wedges)
Old Bay seasoning
Cajun Seasoning (Louisiana Fish Fry brand)
White wine (about 1/4 cup or a little less)

Lightly season the scallops and shrimp with Old Bay and Cajun, turning them over for even coating
Add lemon juice and let them sit for a bit
Heat oil in skillet on Medium heat
Sear the scallops on both sides (maybe about 1 min ea. side)
Reduce heat and let cook until just done (about 1 1/2 minutes each side)
Remove scallops and add shrimp to pan on Medium heat
Cook until just done
Deglaze the pan with white wine, let it reduce and pour over the seafood.

Attachments

• Seafood_Fettucini_10-7-11.jpg
    Seafood_Fettucini_10-7-11.jpg
    233.5 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
for a twist, I switch spice brands, even trying Old Bay with the Louisiana fare- Zatarains and slap ya mama

Lemonade Chicken

Here is one of my favorites and charring the chicken actually makes the flavor pop more:

• 1 can (12 ounces) frozen lemonade concentrate, thawed
  • 2 tablespoons brown sugar
  • 2 tablespoons soy sauce
  • 1 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 4 pounds bone-in chicken breast halves (8 ounces each)
  • In a large resealable bag, combine the first five ingredients. Remove half of the marinade to a small bowl; cover and refrigerate. Add chicken to the bag; seal and turn to coat. Refrigerate overnight, turning occasionally.
  • Keep Marinade for basting while cooking. Grill, covered, over medium heat for 10 minutes on each side, basting occasionally with reserved marinade. Grill 5-10 minutes longer or until chicken juices run clear; basting and turning several times

Spicy Baked Shrimp

We do this at the camp often during the shrimp season:

Spicy Baked Shrimp

6 Tablespoons unsalted butter
4 Garlic cloves,minced
2 Tablespoons lemon juice,plus 1 whole lemon quarted
2 Tablespoons hot pepper sauce (Louisiana hot sauce)
2lbs. Jumbo shrimp I like 21-25,peeled and de-veined,tails intact
2 Teaspoons paprika
1/4 Teaspoons Cayenne pepper
2 Teaspoons Dijon mustard
1 cup bread crumbs (Plain or Seasoned)
2 Tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
(1) Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 500deg. Coat large backing sheet with cooking spray.
(2) Melt butter in small saucepan over medium heat. Add garlic and cook till fragrant,about 1 min. Add lemon juice and hot sauce and season with salt and pepper. Remove from heat.
(3) Toss shrimp,paprika,cayenne,mustard,1/4 Teaspoon salt and a 1/4 Teaspoon pepper together in a large bowl. Add 2 Teaspoons butter mixture and toss again.Let stand in fridge for an hour are two. Place bread crumbs in a mixing bowl.
(4) Remove a few shrimp at a time a toss in bread crumbs. Place breaded shrimp on your greased sheet pan spacing them slightly apart. Spray shrimp lightly with cooking spray and bake until just cooked through and bread crumbs are golden brown and crisp.9-11 minutes. Rewarm butter mixture and add chopped parsley. Serve shrimp with butter mixture and lemon wedges.
ENJOY

I have been making a Shrimp Fetuccini for about 30 years. One of my sons in Spring, Tx. asked me to walk him through making it, so I tossed up the recipe with pics on a web page for him. I figured I might as well post a link to it here also. We all love it. Hopefully some of you will enjoy it also.

Andrus Whitewing's Shrimp Alfredo in Angel Hair Sauce (Shrimp Fettucini)

Warning... this is not diet food. :hihi:

As some of you read my thread asking for a good crawfish fettuccine recipe last week, this is what I came up with and it came out really good...IMHO

1 lb LOUISIANA crawfish tails
1 stick butter
1 lg onion
1 bundle green onions
1 stalk celery(you can use more, I just don't like celery very much)
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 sm Velveeta cheese
1 package pasta(we use bowtie as that's what the wife likes)

Melt your butter in a non stick pot. Saute your veggies. Add crawfish(you may choose to boil the crawfish in a little crab boil prior to starting the fettuccine. We did and it kicked up the fettuccine a notch) and cook about 5 minutes. Add cream of mushroom soup and simmer another 5 minutes +. Add your Velveeta cheese until melted.

Toss in your cooked pasta and mix thoroughly.

You can add a little shredded cheese to the top of you like and bake in a caserole dish, but we ate it straight from the pot and it was great.

I'd say it serves about 6-8

If you wanna do it for a party or more guests, just double/triple the recipe.

Just tried this one, wife thought it looked good. Neither really liked it much because it tastes like Velveeta. Let me help you out, not sure why we strayed from my pasta. Wont be exact because I just do it but will be real close

1 cup butter
2 cups heavy whipping cream
1.5lb Louisiana crawfish tails
6 oz shredded parmesan
6 oz medium or mild cheddar
2-3 tablespoon flour
1-2 onion
1 cup green onion
1 tsp oregano
2 tsp tony's
2 tsp garlic powder
4 oz minced garlic
3 oz parsley
1/2 tsp cayenne
1 tsp black pepper

Take medium to large pot on medium heat add 1/2 cup butter and slowly mix in flour constantly stirring. Continue to slowly add flour until a light brown paste. Next, pour in 2 cups heavy cream and bring to slow boil. Add in parmesan, cheddar and parsley and bring to slow boil then reduce heat to low.

In a pan on medium high heat add 1/4 cup butter. As soon as butter melts add onions and stir frequently for 3-4 minutes then reduce heat to medium. Next add in oregano, garlic, cayenne, black pepper, crawfish, Tony's, garlic powder, Cayenne and half of green onions. Cook for 2-3 minutes (do not overcook or crawfish will shrink up and be tough) then add mixture to pot with cream sauce. Be sure to stir very well with wisk and bring heat up to medium low, cook for 5 minutes then reduce to low occasionally stirring.

In another pot boil pasta of choice, follow directions on package. While pasta is boiling continue to occasionally stir sauce. Season to taste (be sure to season to taste because i went light on seasoning) using Tony's or seasoning of choice. If sauce is too thick slowly stir in half and half or more heavy cream. If it is too thin thicken using a touch of starch (flour will clump) or you can add cheese to thicken keeping in mind sauce will thicken some as it cools.

Once pasta is done drain and serve. Be sure to stir with wisk just before serving then add green onions chopped fine over top of each serving. This will make plenty for 5-6 people, maybe more. Super rich but quite good.

Fried Venison tenderloin

Ingredients
1-2 cup quality mustard of choice
1 cup chopped pecans
1 cup breadcrumbs
1/4 cup flour
Peanut oil
2 tbsp chili powder
2 tbsp paprika
1 tbsp pepper
2 tbsp garlic powder
2 tbsp tony's
2 tbsp onion powder

Trim tenderloin well. Then cut tenderloin into medallions about 2-3" thin strips. Place medallions into mustard place in fridge for 24-48 hours. a few hours before cooking take out of fridge and place covered on counter or somewhere at room temp.

Take pecans and place in food processor and mix until fine and pour into large bowl. Add breadcrumbs and flour. Pecans will be damp because they contain oil. The flour will absorb some of the moisture. Mix the breadcrumbs, flour and pecans until you get a very even mixture. This is your batter.

Mix seasonings together and mix well. Place in seasoning shaker.

Set a large plate on side then take medallions with mustard and roll in batter. You want a good thick batter because some will fall off in grease.

I prefer cast iron skillet but whatever you use to fry go ahead and use peanut oil. You can also add some vegetable oil to mix and get grease very hot.

Take medallions that have been battered and on plate and place in grease, let cook until you get a good solid brown and remove placing on a plate with paper towels or similar to allow grease to drain. Shake seasoning over top to taste. Be sure to put seasoning as soon as medallions are removed from grease. I don't put the seasoning in the batter because it overcooks in grease after the first couple rounds giving odd taste.

Enjoy, this recipe will make you kill deer at an amazing rate.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom