Food The Recipe Thread [tm--CajunCook] (2 Viewers)

Some of my other favorites from the Bon Appetite Grilling Cookbook. I like to serve this with Zeas Thai Rib Sauce and over rice.

THAI- STYLE CHICKEN THIGHS
6 servings

A strong blend of sweet, sour, salty, and spicy aromatics infuses these chicken thighs with exotic Thai flavor. As for fish sauce, it’s a key ingredient in Thai cookery. If you don’t have any in your pantry, get some— every serious griller should have a bottle. The recipe only calls for a splash, but a little goes a long way, so don’t skip it.

1 ⁄ 3 cup chopped fresh basil
1 ⁄ 3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1 ⁄ 3 cup chopped fresh mint
3 Tbsp. chopped peeled ginger
4 garlic cloves, chopped
1 1 ⁄ 2 Tbsp. (packed) dark brown sugar
1 1 ⁄ 2 Tbsp. fish sauce (such as nam pla or nuoc nam)
1 1 ⁄ 2 Tbsp. reduced- sodium soy sauce
1 1 ⁄ 2 Tbsp. vegetable oil, plus more for brushing
1 serrano chile, with seeds, chopped
12 skinless, boneless chicken thighs (about 2 1 ⁄ 4 lb.)

Blend basil, cilantro, mint, ginger, garlic, brown sugar, fish sauce, soy sauce, 1 1 ⁄ 2 Tbsp. oil, and chile in a food processor, stopping occasionally to scrape down sides of bowl, until a coarse purée forms. Arrange chicken in a 13x9x2- inch glass baking dish. Spoon herb mixture over chicken; turn to coat. Cover dish and
chill, turning chicken occasionally, for at least 2 hours. DO AHEAD: Can be made
1 day ahead. Keep chilled.

Build a medium fire in a charcoal grill, or heat a gas grill to medium- high. Brush grill grate with oil. Grill chicken, turning once, until an instant- read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the thigh registers 165°F, about 6 minutes per side. Let rest for 5 minutes before serving.

JALAPEÑO CHEESEBURGERS with Bacon

makes 8

If you’re a chile hound, here’s one for you. Chopped jalapeño is blended straight into the burgers (if you want to amp up the heat even more, include some of the seeds) and gives spice to the spicy ranch sauce. The burgers gain another layer of flavor from a Worcestershire- coffee glaze that gets brushed on while they grill.

SPICY RANCH SAUCE

4 scallions, finely chopped
1 cup mayonnaise
1 cup sour cream
1 ⁄ 2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
6 Tbsp. fresh lime juice
2 Tbsp. minced seeded jalapeño
1 ⁄ 2 tsp. cayenne pepper
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper

BURGERS

2 lb. ground beef (20% fat)
1 small onion, chopped (about 1 1 ⁄ 4 cups)
1 ⁄ 4 cup chopped flat- leaf parsley
2 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
1 Tbsp. chopped seeded jalapeño
1 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
1 tsp. kosher salt
1 ⁄ 4 tsp. cayenne pepper

WORCESTERSHIRE- COFFEE GLAZE

1 ⁄ 3 cup light corn syrup
2 Tbsp. ketchup
2 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
2 tsp. (packed) light brown sugar
1 tsp. instant coffee powder
3 Tbsp. unsalted butter
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper

16 slices bacon Vegetable oil, for brushing
8 hamburger buns or 3- to 4- inch square focaccia rolls, split horizontally
8 lettuce leaves
2 cups coarsely shredded sharp white cheddar (about 8 oz.)
Assorted additional toppings (such as tomato and grilled onion slices)

SAUCE
Whisk first 7 ingredients in a medium bowl to blend. Season sauce with salt and pepper.

BURGERS
Gently mix all ingredients in a large bowl. Form mixture into eight 1 ⁄ 2 to 3 ⁄ 4 inch- thick patties. Using your thumb, make a small indentation in the center of each.Place on a small baking sheet. Cover and chill for at least 2 hours and up to 1 day.

GLAZE
Stir first 5 ingredients in a small saucepan over medium heat until coffee is dissolved. Remove from heat. Whisk in butter. Season glaze to taste with salt and pepper.

Working in batches if necessary, cook bacon in a large skillet over medium- high heat until crisp and brown. Transfer bacon to paper towels to drain.

Build a medium- hot fire in a charcoal grill, or heat a gas grill to high. Brush grill grate with oil. Toast buns until golden, about 2 minutes per side. Transfer buns, cut side up, to plates. Place lettuce on each bun bottom. Grill burgers for 2 to 3 minutes, basting with glaze. Turn burgers and baste with glaze. Press cheese atop each burger. Grill until cooked to desired doneness, 2 to 3 minutes longer for medium- rare. Spread some sauce on buns and assemble burgers, topping each with 2 slices bacon and additional toppings as desired.

damixters "Almost world famous"Seafood Chowder (well, in Florida, Pennsylvania, Utah, and the UK anyways)

1 lb bacon
2 cans minced or diced clams
2 cans smoked whole baby clams
1 6oz bottle clam juice
4-5 medium potatoes, cubed (more or less if you prefer)
1 medium onion, diced (optional)
2 cups heavy cream
2 cups 50/50

Spices:
1 tbsp. Emeril's Original Essence
1 tsp Zatarain's blackened seasoning
1/2 tsp lemon pepper
1/4 tsp thyme
Pepper and sea salt to taste

the "other stuff":
1 bag small salad shrimp
1 pack Beauxdreau's Cajun Crawfish Tail meat (Walmart)
1 lb crab meat
Anything else you may want to add (oysters, etc)

Add another bottle of clam juice or chicken broth if you prefer your chowder thinner

Cut the bacon crosswise in 1/4 to 1/2 inch pieces and cook until fat is rendered and bacon is crispy (I run mine thru a strainer to remove fat)

In a crock pot, combine everything except the "other stuff" and simmer on low to medium until the potatoes are tender. If you are eating it that day, add all the "other stuff" and continue simmering until heated through.

I prefer to do the first steps the day before and let the crockpot sit in the fridge overnight, then add the other stuff the next day and heat through.

also my version of cane's sauce...

1 tbsp. mayo
1/2 tbsp. ketchup
1/2 tbsp. wasabi
dash of creole seasoning

mix VERY well.... let sit in fridge for 30 min before serving

I am about to make chicken tenders for my kids and was wondering how to make that stuff. I'm going with garlic, onion salt, black and cayenne pepper and a touch of lemon juice.

For those who like such things, I've found a very simple and free recipe organizer that I really like.

SSuite Recipe Organiser - SSuite Office Software

I've been going through this terrific thread and adding recipes I have or want to try. Thanks to everyone who contributed.
I'm loving my recipe organizer app Paprika. It costs $5, but it is well worth it. It's super easy to copy recipes on the internet. I haven't gotten around to adding my cookbooks, but I believe that will be easy as well. Check it out:
Paprika Recipe Manager for iPad, iPhone, Mac, Android, and Windows.

Amazon reviews:
Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Paprika Recipe Manager

I made grilled Cuban sandwiches for dinner tonight. Big slab of pork tenderloin, ham, salami, swiss cheese, pickles and spicy mustard. On a tip from my sister I've started making grilled sandwiches with mayonnaise instead of butter. It works beautifully. Mayonnaise has a higher burn point and makes it much easier to toast the bread evenly.

This restaurant near me had a seasonal cocktail called the Shipwreck. It was outstanding - and I had about 30 of them last fall. They moved on but I insisted they give me the recipe.

1.5 oz gold rum
.5 oz all-spice dram
.25 oz simple syrup
.75 oz lime juice
To perfect the drink, grind nutmeg on the top and serve.

The rum is 80 proof, the dram is 44 proof - so there's some kick to it, but the spice and syrup and lime make this really appealing flavor that is brought to life by the nutmeg.

Here is, quite possibly, my absolute best summer 2010 creation: this chilled dish is great on a hot summer evening. This is an unbelievable version of ceviche! I spliced this from 2 different recipes I found online. I have now made 4 batches in the past 2 weeks. (It IS that good) - Don't skimp on the avocado...

Coctel de Mariscos version 1.0

Old Bay seasoning
1 Lemon
4 limes
1 lb peeled small shrimp
1 lb scallops (small)
½ cup fresh lime juice (use 1/3 cup if you go heavy with the lemon on the seafood)
¼ cup ketchup
1 ½ Tbs Tapatio hot sauce
1 tsp Worcestershire
½ small purple onion, finely diced
1 medium cucumber, peeled, seeded, chopped fine
1 Tbs finely chopped garlic
½ cup chopped cilantro
3 Jalapenos, finely diced
1 avocado, diced
1 ½ cups Clamato juice

Steam the seafood
1. Boil 3 Tbs Old Bay seasoning, with ½ lemon in salted water
2. Steam shrimp (few minutes until just done)
3. Remove, add some fresh lemon juice and chill (place in freezer)
4. Steam scallops (couple minutes or until done)
5. Remove, add some fresh lemon juice and chill (place in freezer)

Combine the following ingredients (except avocado):
½ cup lime juice
¼ cup ketchup
1 ½ Tbs Tapatio hot sauce
1 tsp Worcestershire
½ purple onion, finely diced
1 medium cucumber, peeled seeded, chopped fine
1 Tbs garlic
½ cup cilantro
Jalapeno
1 ½ cups Clamato juice

Add the seafood, and chill for at least 30 min.

Serve in martini/margarita glasses with lime wedge and garnish with cubed avocado on top.
30 minutes away------i am so pumped !

This recipe looks and sounds good.. although I am going to add cheese to make it mo'betta.

Gold Rush Corn Bake

Gold-Rush-Corn-Bake_Large600_ID-1952478.jpg

3 corn muffins, crumbled
4 teaspoons butter, melted, divided
1 (12-ounce) package frozen corn, thawed
1 (14-1/2-ounce) can creamed corn
1 egg, beaten
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Coat a 9-inch cast iron skillet or 1-1/2-quart baking dish with cooking spray.
In a medium bowl, combine corn muffins and 2 tablespoons butter; mix well and set aside.
In a large bowl, combine corn, creamed corn, egg, the remaining 2 tablespoons butter, salt, and pepper; mix well.
Sprinkle one-third of corn muffin mixture in skillet. Top with half the corn mixture. Repeat layers, ending with a layer of corn muffin mixture.
Bake 35 to 40 minutes, or until heated through and golden on top.

This recipe looks and sounds good.. although I am going to add cheese to make it mo'betta.

Gold Rush Corn Bake

Gold-Rush-Corn-Bake_Large600_ID-1952478.jpg

3 corn muffins, crumbled
4 teaspoons butter, melted, divided
1 (12-ounce) package frozen corn, thawed
1 (14-1/2-ounce) can creamed corn
1 egg, beaten
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Coat a 9-inch cast iron skillet or 1-1/2-quart baking dish with cooking spray.
In a medium bowl, combine corn muffins and 2 tablespoons butter; mix well and set aside.
In a large bowl, combine corn, creamed corn, egg, the remaining 2 tablespoons butter, salt, and pepper; mix well.
Sprinkle one-third of corn muffin mixture in skillet. Top with half the corn mixture. Repeat layers, ending with a layer of corn muffin mixture.
Bake 35 to 40 minutes, or until heated through and golden on top.

So how did it turn out? Any modifications? I will probably double the volume.

I need to make some food to take to a next door family - they have 3 kids. I figured this might be a good side dish.

THE Ultimate Burger Sauce from Bon Appetite "The Grilling Book" Cookbook which has some awesome recipes. Every recipe that I've tried so far has been excellent. I highly recommend it for anyone who likes to grill. The Kindle Version is only $10.
The Grilling Book: The Definitive Guide from Bon Appetit: Adam Rapoport: 9781449427528: Amazon.com: Books

Special Sauce

When ketchup meets mayonnaise— and adobo sauce— magic happens. Earn bonus points by bringing a jar of this sauce to the next cookout you attend. If your supermarket doesn’t carry chipotle chiles in adobo, look for them at Latin markets.

1 ⁄ 2 cup mayonnaise
2 Tbsp. ketchup
1 Tbsp. finely grated onion
1 Tbsp. sweet relish or dill pickle relish
2 tsp. adobo sauce from canned chipotle chiles in adobo
1 ⁄ 8 tsp. celery salt
1 ⁄ 8 tsp. kosher salt

Combine all ingredients in a medium bowl. Makes about a cup. Can be made 3 days ahead. Store in refrigerator.

2 questions: Have you ever finely diced the chipotles and included them? Also, do you ever take pics of your food? Those recipes seem really good, but pics might make them better...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom