Food The Recipe Thread [tm--CajunCook] (1 Viewer)

Figured I'd resurrect this classic right here. Hopefully CC can stop in once in awhile and give a few tips for the amateurs.

I'm going to attempt my hand at a Shrimp Curry today. Depending on how it goes, I'll post the recipe.

In the beginning there was Andrus, and he was hungry:

Previous recipe thread LINKS!

RECIPE THREAD VOLUME I
RECIPE THREAD VOLUME II

Catorgarized Recipes
I'm making the Cosmic Purple Chicken as we speak. And tomorrow we are having a contactless "drive by baby shower" for my daughter in law. The guests will drop off a gift in the driveway, and pick up a goodie bag lunch, already packaged. Included will be the watermelon,watercress, red onion, pine nut salad that was posted here. Sounds like an odd combination but it is delish.
I've used recipes from here so many times. Thank you! Edited to say that the chicken dish was amazing. I served it over rice. It is very rich tasting...and will be a twice a year, or so, treat. I'd be on my 600 lb life if that was normal eating.

Last edited:
Has anyone tried meat church seasonings and if you have which ones and how did you like it?

Has anyone tried meat church seasonings and if you have which ones and how did you like it?
Yes, I was given an assortment awhile back and they were all pretty good. The pecan one I recall particularly liking and I would buy it again, but I generally make my own.

Yes, I was given an assortment awhile back and they were all pretty good. The pecan one I recall particularly liking and I would buy it again, but I generally make my own.
Was it the honey pecan one they call “deez nuts”? That’s the one I’m interested in because of a salmon recipe I have

Was it the honey pecan one they call “deez nuts”? That’s the one I’m interested in because of a salmon recipe I have

It was the honey. The deez nuts I believe i recall tasting acrid or tannic to the point of pecan shells in your mouth.

It's been awhile, but I'm pretty sure. The sweet one was good. the other one might have been better in moderation. I'm not real good at moderation though.

20211215_005914.jpg

This is a favorite of mine and a great alternative to the traditional chicken soup we enjoy in the states.

For the Soup
1 onion, chopped
1 green pepper, chopped
1 poblano, chopped
1 jalapeno pepper, chopped
1 cubanelle pepper, chopped
3 celery stalks, chopped
4 garlic cloves
2 to 3 tablespoons canola oil
1 whole chicken, divided into 8 parts
Salt
6 to 8 tomatillos, husked and cut in half
5 cups chicken stock
2 cups canned hominy, drained and rinsed

For the Garnish
1/2 white onion, finely chopped
1 avocado, sliced
3 to 4 radishes, diced
1 cup cilantro, chopped
1 cup Mexican crema or sour cream

Place onion, peppers, celery, and garlic in a blender and pulse until smooth. Set aside.Set oven to broil. Place tomatillo halves cut side down in a cast iron pan. Broil until skins are charred and tomatillos have released their juices, about 5 minutes.Heat oil over medium high in a heavy bottom pot or Dutch oven.Season chicken with salt. Place chicken parts in pot and brown, about two minutes per side. Work in batches to avoid crowding the pot.Remove chicken from pot. Add in onion and pepper mixture to the pot. Reduce heat to medium and continue to cook, stirring often, until mixture becomes golden, about 30 minutes.Place the chicken pieces back in the pot along with the tomatillos and all the juices that were released in the pan.Pour chicken stock into pot and increase heat to high. Bring to an immediate boil then reduce heat to low and cover. Simmer until chicken is cooked through and tender, about 90 minutes.Season with salt and pepper. Pour in hominy and stir to warm through.

Teach me about onion based roux/ gumbo. Had a convo with someone from Dulac about really dark roux and burning it if I take it that far. They said it’s onion based with no flour to burn. Never heard of it before.

Simply put...my Mom was the best Cajun/Creole cook that I've ever known.

Her gumbo recipe was well known in Uptown NOLA at Norby's Restaurant and Bar back in the late 70s/early 80s.

She would also sell gumbo lunch plates at the grain elevator Uptown.
The lines for her gumbo lunch plates were always outrageously long and she never had anything leftover when she was done.

Her crawfish etouffee was top notch as well.

Plus she raised 7 boys after my Dad passed away in 1976.
How she managed to work, cook, clean and raise 7 boys on her own was due to love and the Grace of God!

Miss that woman every single day!

I’ve been seeing a lot of online recipes for oxtail. I you’ve ever tried it how would you describe the taste and texture of the meat?

Simply put...my Mom was the best Cajun/Creole cook that I've ever known.

Her gumbo recipe was well known in Uptown NOLA at Norby's Restaurant and Bar back in the late 70s/early 80s.

She would also sell gumbo lunch plates at the grain elevator Uptown.
The lines for her gumbo lunch plates were always outrageously long and she never had anything leftover when she was done.

Her crawfish etouffee was top notch as well.

Plus she raised 7 boys after my Dad passed away in 1976.
How she managed to work, cook, clean and raise 7 boys on her own was due to love and the Grace of God!

Miss that woman every single day!
My mom passed away 20 years ago and I still think about her everyday. She never “worked” in a job outside the house. Everyday like clockwork she made breakfast for me before I went to school and made dinner every evening. My dad made it home from work around 5:00 and there were 2 things you could count on she had a fresh pan of cornbread and a fresh pitcher of sweet tea. When she passed I never thought I would ever taste anyone’s food that would be as good. Then about 10 years ago I went to visit family in North Carolina and my sister made a big deal about going over to my niece’s house to eat the day after. I had never eaten anything she had cooked before and my sister wanted it to be a surprise for m but her cooking was exactly like my mom’s.

Teach me about onion based roux/ gumbo. Had a convo with someone from Dulac about really dark roux and burning it if I take it that far. They said it’s onion based with no flour to burn. Never heard of it before.

A flour based roux cooked with an oil with a higher smoke point won't burn if you are patient.

Apologies if I shared this previously but I present to you exhibit A.

FB_IMG_1652221721826.jpg

A roux is flour and fat. Onions and fat do not a roux make though you can darken your onions to that color if you wanted to.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom