Food The Recipe Thread [tm--CajunCook] (1 Viewer)

Here's one I made last night. Good healthy-ish hot weather fare.

20220511_183354.jpg

Grilled Greek Chicken and Whipped Feta

• 4 (8 ounce) boneless, skinless chicken breasts
  • ¼ cup red wine vinegar
  • 2 teaspoons kosher salt
  • 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • ½ teaspoon dried thyme
  • ½ teaspoon dried oregano
  • ½ teaspoon dried rosemary
  • ½ teaspoon garlic powder
  • ¼ cup olive oil
  • 1 drizzle olive oil, or as needed
  • 2 tablespoons chopped Italian parsley
  • 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
combine listed ingredients to make a marinade for your chicken. I recommend halving the chicken breast. You get more outer area exposed to the marinade and it speeds up the time at the grill.

2 to 4 hours in marinade is ideal.

For the Whipped Feta:
  • 1 cup full-fat Greek yogurt
  • 8 ounces feta cheese
  • 1 teaspoon finely crushed garlic, or to taste
  • 1 tablespoon chopped fresh mint
  • 1 teaspoon lemon zest
  • Chill until ready to serve
Grill the Chicken and Veggies of your choice and eat!

Last edited:

20220511_183354.jpg

Grilled Greek Chicken and Whipped Feta

• 4 (8 ounce) boneless, skinless chicken breasts
  • ¼ cup red wine vinegar
  • 2 teaspoons kosher salt
  • 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • ½ teaspoon dried thyme
  • ½ teaspoon dried oregano
  • ½ teaspoon dried rosemary
  • ½ teaspoon garlic powder
  • ¼ cup olive oil
  • 1 drizzle olive oil, or as needed
  • 2 tablespoons chopped Italian parsley
  • 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
For the Whipped Feta:
  • 8 ounces feta cheese
  • 1 teaspoon lemon zest

How do you whip the feta? Food processor?

How do you whip the feta? Food processor?

I used an electric beater. You could use a whisk and muscle through it though.

You could use a food processor but you won't get the creamy, fluffy texture you would by whipping it.

Also look for authentic feta. Brands like Athenos is actually an Americanized version that is grittier in texture. President brand will do.

Last edited:

For the Whipped Feta:
  • 8 ounces feta cheese
  • 1 teaspoon lemon zest

Yep, will be trying that. Thanks!

Yep, will be trying that. Thanks!

Just to clarify, ingredients in the first part combine to make a marinade for your chicken. I recommend halving the chicken breast. You get more outer area exposed to the marinade and it speeds up the time at the grill.

2 to 4 hours in marinade is ideal.

I'll add this note to the ingredient list.

Hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

Bolognese Stuffed Zucchini topped w Swiss and Cheddar Mornay Sauce and Parmesan

INGREDIENTS

• 4 medium size Zucchini
  • 1/2 pound Bacon
  • 2 tablespoons Tuscan Olive Oil
  • 1 pound Italian Sausage casing removed
  • 1 ½ cup Yellow Onion diced
  • ½ pound Mushrooms sliced
  • 1 Red Bell Pepper, small dice
  • 1 tablespoon Fresh Thyme chopped
  • 1 tablespoon Fresh Rosemary Leaves chopped
  • 2 tablespoons Fresh Garlic chopped
  • 2 large cans (28 ounces each can) peeled Tomatoes, drained and chopped
  • 1/2 cup Tomato Puree
  • Salt and Pepper to taste
  • 1 cup Mornay Sauce or 1 ½ cup mixed grated Cheddar and Swiss cheese and Reggiano Parmesan

INSTRUCTIONS

Preheat Oven to 375°F

• In a Dutch oven, heat the bacon until it starts releasing it’s fat. Add the sausages and cook for about 5 minutes until they start getting golden brown. Constantly breaking it up while it cooks so you have small uniform crumbles. When golden brown, add the onion and cook until golden brown. Add the mushrooms and season with salt to help extracting the water from the mushrooms. Add the bell peppers, fresh herbs, Garlic and when fragrant chopped tomatoes and tomato puree. Adjust salt and pepper and let simmer slowly at very low heat for 45 minutes to an hour.
  • While the sauce is cooking prepare the zucchini like the Chef did in the video.
  • Cut the Zucchini in half, lengthways, using a melon ball cutter remove the pulp in the middle. Brush them with olive oil and bake them for about 15/20 minutes.
  • Let the zucchini cool and stuff them like the Chef did in the video. Top them with a mornay sauce and grated cheddar and gruyere, and bake them until the cheese is golden brown.

20220607_183427.jpg

20220607_175926.jpg

Attachments

• 20220607_183427.jpg
    20220607_183427.jpg
    707.4 KB · Views: 1

Bolognese Stuffed Zucchini topped w Swiss and Cheddar Mornay Sauce and Parmesan

INGREDIENTS

• 4 medium size Zucchini
  • 1/2 pound Bacon
  • 2 tablespoons Tuscan Olive Oil
  • 1 pound Italian Sausage casing removed
  • 1 ½ cup Yellow Onion diced
  • ½ pound Mushrooms sliced
  • 1 Red Bell Pepper, small dice
  • 1 tablespoon Fresh Thyme chopped
  • 1 tablespoon Fresh Rosemary Leaves chopped
  • 2 tablespoons Fresh Garlic chopped
  • 2 large cans (28 ounces each can) peeled Tomatoes, drained and chopped
  • 1/2 cup Tomato Puree
  • Salt and Pepper to taste
  • 1 cup Mornay Sauce or 1 ½ cup mixed grated Cheddar and Swiss cheese and Reggiano Parmesan

INSTRUCTIONS

Preheat Oven to 375°F

• In a Dutch oven, heat the bacon until it starts releasing it’s fat. Add the sausages and cook for about 5 minutes until they start getting golden brown. Constantly breaking it up while it cooks so you have small uniform crumbles. When golden brown, add the onion and cook until golden brown. Add the mushrooms and season with salt to help extracting the water from the mushrooms. Add the bell peppers, fresh herbs, Garlic and when fragrant chopped tomatoes and tomato puree. Adjust salt and pepper and let simmer slowly at very low heat for 45 minutes to an hour.
  • While the sauce is cooking prepare the zucchini like the Chef did in the video.
  • Cut the Zucchini in half, lengthways, using a melon ball cutter remove the pulp in the middle. Brush them with olive oil and bake them for about 15/20 minutes.
  • Let the zucchini cool and stuff them like the Chef did in the video. Top them with a mornay sauce and grated cheddar and gruyere, and bake them until the cheese is golden brown.

20220607_183427.jpg

20220607_175926.jpg
That looks yummy! Seems like something I could do on a potato or a portabella mushrooms also.

Version of Peri Peri Chicken

Ingredients:
1 pound of chicken (bone-in thighs would be best, but my family is spoiled on boneless/skinless breasts)
Red Chilies (optional - if you have wimp family members)
2 Tbl vinegar
2 Tbl lemon juice
4 tsp paprika
1 tsp basil
1 tsp thyme
2 tsp black pepper
Salt to taste
and plenty of garlic (but that's to taste too since it can be harsh for some)

Directions:
Blend or whisk red chilies (depending on whether whole or already crushed), garlic (same), salt pepper, basil / thyme, paprika, vinegar, olive oil, lemon juice in to a paste.
Cut / Even out chicken and add to sealable bag - thoroughly coat with marinade and seal.
Refrigerate (up to 4 hours)
Bake or in my case... grill - it's so much better grilled

Serve with onion/peppers rice - dice or slice onion and pepper, put olive oil in large skillet and saute with garlic, salt, and pepper. i use minute rice because i'm lazy, so make equal parts chicken broth to amount of rice (1 cup : 1 cup). when veg is soft, add turmeric (and potentially paprika and tomato paste) and the broth. make sure all thoroughly blended and then cover / simmer for 10 minutes.

It's been a while since I posted any recipes or food pics. Not that I haven't cooked anything of note in my kitchen, I have, I think it's more of an aversion to typing recipes into the chat box.

But I think this one has enough wow factor, if only for it's size alone *That's what she said!*

Anyways here's a fried porkchop parm sando to feast your eyes on. Easy enough to make too.

Ingredients:

Whole Pork Loin, Sliced, Tendered, Breaded and fried or boneless chops done the same, 3 cups panko, 1 cup flour, 4 eggs, 1 tablespoon onion powder, 1 tablespoon garlic powder, Salt and pepper, 1 (28 ounce) can puréed tomatoes, 1 bunch basil,6 garlic cloves,1 red onion, 2-3 cups cherry tomatoes, 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese, 2 balls burrata, 1 baguette, Rosemary, Pepperoncini, Olive oil for frying

Fry your chops
Make the bruschetta
Grill outsides of baguette if desired and build sandwich

FB_IMG_1700089507527.jpg

20211215_005914.jpg

This is a favorite of mine and a great alternative to the traditional chicken soup we enjoy in the states.

For the Soup
1 onion, chopped
1 green pepper, chopped
1 poblano, chopped
1 jalapeno pepper, chopped
1 cubanelle pepper, chopped
3 celery stalks, chopped
4 garlic cloves
2 to 3 tablespoons canola oil
1 whole chicken, divided into 8 parts
Salt
6 to 8 tomatillos, husked and cut in half
5 cups chicken stock
2 cups canned hominy, drained and rinsed

For the Garnish
1/2 white onion, finely chopped
1 avocado, sliced
3 to 4 radishes, diced
1 cup cilantro, chopped
1 cup Mexican crema or sour cream

Place onion, peppers, celery, and garlic in a blender and pulse until smooth. Set aside.Set oven to broil. Place tomatillo halves cut side down in a cast iron pan. Broil until skins are charred and tomatillos have released their juices, about 5 minutes.Heat oil over medium high in a heavy bottom pot or Dutch oven.Season chicken with salt. Place chicken parts in pot and brown, about two minutes per side. Work in batches to avoid crowding the pot.Remove chicken from pot. Add in onion and pepper mixture to the pot. Reduce heat to medium and continue to cook, stirring often, until mixture becomes golden, about 30 minutes.Place the chicken pieces back in the pot along with the tomatillos and all the juices that were released in the pan.Pour chicken stock into pot and increase heat to high. Bring to an immediate boil then reduce heat to low and cover. Simmer until chicken is cooked through and tender, about 90 minutes.Season with salt and pepper. Pour in hominy and stir to warm through.
Made this for dinner tonight

Was fantastic!

Thanks for the recipe

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom