The "Reggie Ratio" is hurting us (1 Viewer)

I don't think that there is anything wrong with the offense at all, other than turnovers. We can score quickly and we can grind it out... the offense is clicking! If they can just keep the ball out of the opposing defense's hands they'll start winning again. I think the handoffs to Bush not only give him a chance to break one off, they also keep the defense guessing and allow us to set up other plays later on in the game.

I think we all have the right to second-guess the coach or whomever. That's what the forums are all about. I agree with the posters who are second-guessing Payton on Deuce. I have been complaining about it for weeks. I think it has been a BIG part of our downfall in the past month. Who remembers Payton saying a month ago that he needs to rely on Deuce more, especially as the team approaches a stretch of difficult teams and a possible playoff run. He knows that you MUST run the football successfully to control the game to have success in the playoffs. What did he do? He promptly started running Bush more, especially in goal-line situations AND we started throwing the ball like Don Coryell was in charge. The interceptions are happening because you can't throw the football 50 times a game and expect to not throw some interceptions.

We must keep the opposing defense off-balance, which means we need to be more balanced. Ten carries for Deuce is ridiculous. Even more ridiculous is that Reggie got MORE carries! I think that Payton has been trying to force or teach Bush to run hard upfield whether that is inside or outside. He HAS gotten better, but we've sacrificed a couple games doing it. The only way it's worthwhile is if we go on a win streak into the playoffs during which Bush is running the ball with authority up the field. If that doesn't happen, it wasn't worth giving Deuce a backseat while we lost games.

Deuce should be getting 15-25 carries. Minimum 15 on days where we HAVE to pass, and upward to 25 on days that the other team just can't stop the run and we're controlling the game. As much as I love to see Brees throwing downfield, we need to have some of the 25-rushes days if we're going to make a playoff run.

I've said for weeks that this is our number one problem. Our number two problem is not enough pressure on the quarterback. If our line can't get there, we need to blitz MORE.

This is the same Deuce that got the ball 3 times in a row for the in the red-zone and couldn't get it, right? Deuce has been running well, but if you don't think Reggie has been running just as effectively the last 2 games you haven't been watching.

Deuce should be getting more carries than Bush, no doubt, but if we run he ball 25 times in a game Reggie should get 10 to Deuces 15.

I think some people forget that Deuce is still recovering from a serious injury that usually takes much longer to come back from. We're fortunate to have him getting limited carries people!

Also, don't hate on Reggie for being the new guy. He and Deuce are both classy, talented guys. We would not be where we are w/out Reggie Bush.

if Drew throws those 2 for TDs instead of INTs in the end zone vs Cincy....we wouldn't we so worked up about Deuce carrying more. Who knows what direction the game would have taken from there. The pick 6 probably wouldn't have even been thrown...IMO if we're playin with a lead instead of 2 TD down. The 1st pick 6 vs the Ravens was essentially a runing play.

I don't hope the coaches try to OVER compensate for these correctible mistakes by going away from what we do best....passing to set up the run & try to run the ball too much. We should have been up at half vs Cincy 21-10 or at least 17-10 with a chance to build on that with a wasted possession in the 3rd qtr in which we got only 3 pts.

Having said that....I hate resorting to the pass inside the 10 especially inside the 5 unless it is something like a rollout w: an option for the QB to run...similar to one of the Dalas TD's yesterday when Roma rolled out & the defender had to either stop the QB running it in or cover the receiver.

This is NOT a post to bash Reggie Bush, but I do think the Saints are giving him the ball far too often in the wrong kind of situation.

Payton seems to just be substituting Bush for Deuce on many of the running plays. Running between the tackles is Deuce's forte, not Bush's, and the continued practice of doing so is killing the Saints running game.

I would like to see the Saints run some mis-direction plays for Reggie, something that would give him a chance to get one on one outside with someone and really blow by them. Even when Reggie does run to the outside it seems the Saints aren't fooling anyone with them, as the often seem to stack the line to that side and run to the short side of the field.

As for Deuce, he should be the mainstay of the Saints running game, with 15 or 20 carries per game.

We will not go far with Brees having to throw 40 to 50 times per game!

I do not care what everyone is saying about Deuce getting carries... his knee is hurting him even though he does not admit it... you could see him favoring his knee when he would come out of the game... Running Reggie to the outside does not work... that is what they tried for the first 8 games...

The bottom line is that is Either Reggie or Deuce get to carry the ball 20-25 times a game they would each have 100 yds rushing...If the saints do not turn the ball over they would probably have a record of 9-1...instead of 6-4

I disagree. I think Reggie should run more. He has finally learned to take the ball north and south and the last two weeks, he's been doing a much better job of running the football than Deuce has been able to do. That's not to take anything away from Deuce, I think he's a fine back. But I think too many people believe that we are not doing as well because Deuce is not touching the ball enough. Also, Deuce, for such a powerful guy, does not seem to run well on short yardage situations. While he's very good running downhill, on short yardage plays, he seems to take too long getting his legs into his run and usually gets stuffed on the play or loses yardage.

Bush was losing yardage trying to take the ball outside too much. Marshall Faulk pointed this out. Since then, Reggie is taking what the defense gives him and he has been able to show flashes of brilliance. There were times in the game against Cincy that I felt we should have stayed with him more as he was getting good yardage and getting into a rhythm; unfortunately, we kept going away from him, either to the passing game or to bring in Deuce to insure that he also got his carries.

I will say what I said about a week ago. We need to decide who will be our RB and stick with him. I do not mind us doing what the Chargers do with Tomlison and Michael Turner. Or what the Giants do. But I think we should make an effort to get one back 18-20 carries a game and allow the other guy to get 8-12 carries. Only difference is I believe that Deuce should be the guy getting the lesser carries because I believe that Bush fits in better with the offensive scheme we run and places more pressure on a defense when he is on the field.

It's easy to say that Deuce should get 15-20 carries a game. Everybody wants it. But every time Deuce gets the ball somebody else is not getting it. So who should get fewer balls? Colston? Joe? Reggie? Reggie is averaging 6.7 yards per pass play. No way that Deuce will average anything close to that on running plays. Yes, running between the tackles isn't Reggies strength yet but when should he learn it if not now?

You said Reggie is averaging 6.7 yards per pass play, but you failed to mention that Deuce ALSO averages 6.7 yards per pass play. Literally, they are dead even on pass plays.

As for run plays, Reggie has been averaging more per carry in the last two games, biut on the season, it's not even close.

We're second in the NFL in total yards and seventh in points, despite being tied for the worst turnover ratio in the league.

Which is, of course, the ratio we should really worry about. The "Reggie Ratio" is fine.

It's easy to say that Deuce should get 15-20 carries a game. Everybody wants it. But every time Deuce gets the ball somebody else is not getting it. So who should get fewer balls? Colston? Joe? Reggie? Reggie is averaging 6.7 yards per pass play. No way that Deuce will average anything close to that on running plays. Yes, running between the tackles isn't Reggies strength yet but when should he learn it if not now?

Post of the day hands down... :plus-un2:

HEADLINE: THE BREES INTERCEPTION IS HURTING US

morands think that reggie gettting the is hurting us? lmao. simple game, don't turn the ball over, we don't lose 3 of 4 games.

HEADLINE: THE BREES INTERCEPTION IS HURTING US

morands think that reggie gettting the is hurting us? lmao. simple game, don't turn the ball over, we don't lose 3 of 4 games.

UH, was that supposed to be "MORONS"?

Reggie is averaging 3 yards per carry, Deuce is averaging 4.3. Seems pretty cut and dry, Deuce should be getting more carries.

UH, was that supposed to be "MORONS"?

Reggie is averaging 3 yards per carry, Deuce is averaging 4.3. Seems pretty cut and dry, Deuce should be getting more carries.

Newsflash... Bush is averaging 3.9 and 4.9 in our last two games, deuce averaging 4.0 and 4.0. Cut and dry? I don't think so.

I see why you know how to spell "morons" correct.

if 4.0 and 4.0 is greater than 3.9 and 4.9 i don't get your argument.

Bush is a rookie. He started the year off running the wrong style but now has changed his style. if you want to take bush's 3 yards a carry vs deuce's 4.3 fine. But i'll take more recent gamestats as opposed to the misleading stats of Bush's rookie lows.

The way I see it...The reason we are not 8-2
is because of the interceptions Bress threw
and not Deuce getting the ball more.

Did foks forget that we have gotten away from a run heavy offense because our oline is not very good at run blocking? Have we forgotten those games when we were averaging 2.5 to 3.0 ypc? I'm sorry I just do not understand all this rhetoric about balance and running the ball more? Turnovers, not play selection has hurt us the last 4 weeks. If you think that we are going to be better off by running 3 times and punting rather than using the pass to setup the run, then I think you do not understand the game. If you move the chains, control the clock and do not turn the ball over you will most likely win. Doesn't matter if you run it, pass it or skp to my lou down the field. And I do not buy into the old pound the ball up the middle and wear the defense down theory. Ask any defensive player and he will tell you he would rather try and stop a running team instead of a passing team. Takes way more energy to rush the passer and cover receivers rather than holding your ground against the run.

Last edited:
I don't think Deuce can take 20+ carries. If he was physically able to it would be something to consider, but I just feel Deuce is fighting through pain on every carry. The misdirection idea is a great one, more plays with both in the backfield running misdirection plays.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom