The Republican Party Platform: Support of Constitutional Amendments to Protect Marriage and the Unborn (1 Viewer)

Pure Energy

Rethink Everything
Reaction score
Perhaps people believe supporting Constitutional Amendments to protect marriage and the unborn are only the positions of Christian extremists or zealots. Nope: the support of these amendments and also the appointment of judges that hold these values are included in the Republican party platform. I was having this discussion with a friend of mine yesterday and he said he can't believe that's the Rep. platform, so I emailed him the link to the pdf below.

http://www.gop.com/images/2004platform.pdf

Perhaps people believe supporting Constitutional Amendments to protect marriage and the unborn are only the positions of Christian extremists or zealots. Nope: the support of these amendments and also the appointment of judges that hold these values are included in the Republican party platform. I was having this discussion with a friend of mine yesterday and he said he can't believe that's the Rep. platform, so I emailed him the link to the pdf below.

I cant view... windows vista is the worst thing that has ever happened to computers !!

Vista has some sort of glitch with adobe reader... and it still has no solution..

I cant view... windows vista is the worst thing that has ever happened to computers !!

Vista has some sort of glitch with adobe reader... and it still has no solution..

I have Vista Ultimate however, I've never installed it. I was waiting for the glitches to be repaired. Based on this discussion and the one I had last week with another unsatisfied Vista user, I think I'll wait a little longer.

Here's the platform in HTML--enjoy.

http://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/showplatforms.php?platindex=R2004

Totally agree with the first part, as for the second, what version of Reader do you have? I have 8 on my vista laptop and have had 0issues with it.

Also, try right clicking and saving the document, then opening it form your drive.

The Republican platform has long since been hijacked by Christian zealots and extremists :)

Fortunately I believe there is a groundswell to roll that back and marginalize said groups to where they belong.

Damn those activist judges!!! How dare they interpret our Constitution to treat everyone equally and fairly! The best way to make such discrimination constitutional is to amend the Constitution because as it stands now discrimination against a protected class (generally a class that someone has no control over being in - ie, race, sex or gender) is unconstitutional. So much of the rhetoric contained in this link is hatemongering.

Edit: the above is for the "protection of marriage" part not the right to choose.

It works for me.. :dunno:

As for the other part, well, yeah -- they were put in the platform by the Christian right, which is a pretty influential part of the republican party.

The Republican platform has long since been hijacked by Christian zealots and extremists :)

Fortunately I believe there is a groundswell to roll that back and marginalize said groups to where they belong.

Exactly. The Republican Party that I became a part of was a party of "keep your government out of my business". I believe (or at least hope) that the groudswell is there to take it back to that. The fact that the fundies have not won this primary has shown that there's some validity to that. I just hope to see support for non-fundie candidates to show the party "brain trust" (and I know some of them and I'm using the term loosely) that reasonable people can win.

Just look no further than the past 2 elections. /sarcasm off

If your reference is to McCain...I'm not buying that argument. I believe Huckabee, Romney and to a lesser extent Thompson split the conservative Republican vote leaving a moderate Rep with the spoils.

>>Perhaps people believe supporting Constitutional Amendments to protect marriage and the unborn are only the positions of Christian extremists or zealots. Nope: the support of these amendments and also the appointment of judges that hold these values are included in the Republican party platform.

:redx: Those writing the platform are zelatos and extremists. There is no give and take because there can't be.

TPS

{mod deleted post}

Or maybe we could have the barest faith in federalism and enjoy the benefits of a limited national government. Nah, nevermind. Better to foist the morals of Texas onto California and apply New York's internal economic policy to Mississippi.

If your reference is to McCain...I'm not buying that argument. I believe Huckabee, Romney and to a lesser extent Thompson split the conservative Republican vote leaving a moderate Rep with the spoils.

You know I was thinking the other day as I was talking to a Huckabee supporter, how I almost wish Huckabee had won the Republican nomination just so I could watch him lose in a Mondale-like landslide and we could give such a resoundingly clear refutation of Fundamentalist Christians foisting their values on the rest of America.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom