The Return of Michael Thomas and How It Affects Rashid Shaheed's Versatility (1 Viewer)

DerrickB

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Approved Blogger
Reaction score
In today's read, I explain what it means to have play like Michael Thomas back on the field at full strength and how it opens things up for playmakers like Rashid Shaheed. Enjoy!!

MT outside Shaheed or Olave in the slot with Juwan Johnson opens up the field for drive sustaining 1 v 1 matchups
And Michael Thomas himself was excellent in the slot with Brees. The Saints will be able to mix it up in a ton of ways whenever their top three WRs are healthy together.

He can block.
Yep. Lotsa folk may not like him, esp cause they feel he’s always been nuttn more than a good blocker at WR. But, at least for now, he STILL has value in dat role!

Both CO n Sheed are dynamic WRs, but both are fairly small in stature. So you don’t wanna have them regularly engaged as blockers against DBs, let alone LBs. MT is bigger n more physical, but IIRC, he got hurt on a play where he was blocking. So I’d MUCH rather he first just stay HEALTHY, let alone gettin called on to block! 😂😂😂

After dat trio, the Saints have added another 2-3 big bodied, physical WRs. Theyll likely b competing against TQS as the teams “4th WR”, who’s main responsibility will likely b as a blocker, but who can produce as a receiver as well. It may also well be the first time TQS has faced this much competition at dat position.

So IF all goes well ( 🙏🏾🙏🏾🙏🏾🙏🏾!!!!) hopefully CO, MT n Sheed will b locks as our top 3WRs! So I look for the battle for da “4th WR spot” to b a good one come TC!

That said, Ima go out ona limb on this one, n predict that IF he stays healthy, TQS will keep his job as WR4.

We’ll see

In today's read, I explain what it means to have play like Michael Thomas back on the field at full strength and how it opens things up for playmakers like Rashid Shaheed. Enjoy!!

Wow

Thomas if he can stay healthy will only help Shaheed and Olave. It will force defenses to make a choice as to who is the biggest threat, and that will be what helps us the most. They will cut their own throats trying to stop all of them is unrealistic.

Thomas IF he can stay healthy will only help Shaheed and Olave. It will force defenses to make a choice as to who is the biggest threat, and that will be what helps us the most. They will cut their own throats trying to stop all of them is unrealistic.
FIFY! ☺️👍🏾

Seriously, it’s been a looong time since I’ve seen Mike this excited about playing! At his presser, he called CO, Sheed n him “ The Big 3”! Not to take anything away from the other WRs, he explained that they are all from CA, as well as Olave bein from OSU. He added that he had close ties with both as rooks last year.

But according to Derek Carr himself, NO Saints player was more involved in getting him to sign here than Michael Thomas! Even tho MTs still limited physically, he’s been out there at OTAs with Carr doin lotsa “mental reps” :

“ What do you see on this r dat play? What do u like to do on this r dat play?” Even “What did you and DREW see n like to do on this r dat play?”

Given what he’s doin so far, n with another 6-7 weeks to go before da start of TC, barring any unforeseen setbacks, I’m actually startin to feel kinda optimistic that Mike will close to, if not 💯 physically ready n good to go!

But for now, safe to say, he’s in a “good place”! He’s happy, excited n “locked in”!

So stay tuned!

MT13 can easily be our go-to WR for running option routes if he stays healthy. Put him behind Olave or Shaheed in a stack, let them run the vertical to clear the CB, and MT gets one on one with a slot defender. If they play single high to bracket MT, the vertical route becomes a legitimate target.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom