The ride continues! [TITLE CHANGED - AGAIN] (1 Viewer)

Bleu Raeder

Tasty
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
Sticky Post
Because some of us are very acquainted though this forum and as alluded to in https://saintsreport.com/forums/f3/i-have-avoided-posting-long-i-can-355540/#.WAfjV_krL0M I have received some news recently which affects life in a most profound way. I have been hesitant to share this news for a number of reasons, but some of you I know here would like to know. We've known each other a long time (almost 20 years????) through this outlet and sometimes in real life and I am as close with some of you as I would be with any dear friend even if we've never met in person. Some of you who are connected to me in other social media may have figured it out.

It seems I am dragging my feet here, but all of that needed to be said.

On Friday I was diagnosed with Stage IV Metastatic Lung Cancer in my left lung.

Just 3 short weeks ago during my wellness exam we discussed getting my heart checked just because heart disease in my family had finally reared its ugly head. My calcium score was good but they saw a shadow on the CT which they wanted to check into. "Could be nothing.", they said. They schedule a PET scan and I honestly thought it looked like an excessive jump to go from these results to such an expensive test (https://saintsreport.com/forums/f3/grrrr-cost-health-care-359622/#.WAjM__krL0M). A second opinion or two confirmed this was the test needed. The PET lead to a biopsy in one of my ribs (where the metastasis is). The biopsy lead to the diagnosis.

I have a referral to MD Anderson and will be there in a couple of weeks.

Here is the thing: I have no symptoms other than the discomfort left over from the biopsy. No pain. No coughing. I run 3 or 4 days a week and have no problems with my breathing other than sinus junk. I still play my trombone. If we hadn't done the calcium scoring no alarm would have been raised until I became symptomatic and who knows how long that would have taken.

I am also hopeful and know I can beat this. I am more than determined to beat this. There is a lot of life yet to be lived and I am confident I will be here to live it.

Last edited:

Geldo

Dome Patrol disciple
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Thinking of you Bleu. I was only given a 25 per cent chance of making it out of the hospital alive when I had a heart attack 3 years ago. Now I enjoy every day of my life because I know how precious it is. Sure you feel the same. You’ve fought this battle and won every round so far. Keep punching and knock that sucker out for good.

OP
Bleu Raeder

Bleu Raeder

Tasty
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
I started radiation (a very interesting process) today and will be done on December 16th - just in time to take a couple of weeks off of work.

PLOT TWIST: It was never lung cancer. The findings for this tumor are a type of skin cancer, it's just inside my lung. A review of the previous tissue along with some additional tests should confirm the initial (primary) cancer was also skin cancer. Interesting, to be sure, but we don't know how this affects things going forward. Anyone who has known me for any length of time knows that I have had rounds with skin cancer since 2000. It brings in a different set of doctors with specific knowledge, I am happy to have a team!

Last edited:
OP
Bleu Raeder

Bleu Raeder

Tasty
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
Here we are, again...

I had the scan to follow up on the radiation done at the end of last year. The nodule we attacked before is much smaller and has all of the signs of being radiated properly. It takes a while for radiated tumors to be completed mitigated.

There is another pea-sized nodule that has been on the scans for a while but now is a little bit more bulbous than it was before. It is on the edge of the left lung and appears to be attached to the same rib where we had tumors before.

Today we will be talking to the radiation oncologist. The discussion there will be to determine if we can do radiation again, based on the location of the nodule and previous radiation doses received. All of my doctors will have a pow-wow prior to that appointment.

If radiation is not recommended then we will discuss starting treatment with Opdivo or Libtayo. Keep in mind that the tumors so far have all been skin cancer, not lung cancer, so infusion decisions will be based on that.

I don’t what I am going to say next to sound flippant so please read it in the spirit of the words...

This will be OK. I will be OK. This is something that we’ve all known could be a possibility, that I will likely have something going on where cancer is concerned for the rest of my life. The plan is the same - we will attack the problem just as we’ve done right up until this point!

Optimus Prime

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Here we are, again...

I had the scan to follow up on the radiation done at the end of last year. The nodule we attacked before is much smaller and has all of the signs of being radiated properly. It takes a while for radiated tumors to be completed mitigated.

There is another pea-sized nodule that has been on the scans for a while but now is a little bit more bulbous than it was before. It is on the edge of the left lung and appears to be attached to the same rib where we had tumors before.

Today we will be talking to the radiation oncologist. The discussion there will be to determine if we can do radiation again, based on the location of the nodule and previous radiation doses received. All of my doctors will have a pow-wow prior to that appointment.

If radiation is not recommended then we will discuss starting treatment with Opdivo or Libtayo. Keep in mind that the tumors so far have all been skin cancer, not lung cancer, so infusion decisions will be based on that.

I don’t what I am going to say next to sound flippant so please read it in the spirit of the words...

This will be OK. I will be OK. This is something that we’ve all known could be a possibility, that I will likely have something going on where cancer is concerned for the rest of my life. The plan is the same - we will attack the problem just as we’ve done right up until this point!
good luck Bleu, praying for you

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

New Orleans Saints Twitter Feed

Headlines

Top Bottom