The Demonstrations in Minnesota (Update: Now Nationwide){Now International} (3 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am going to share something that works with my students and with my colleagues and has worked at professional conferences and presentations.

It's a breakdown of the Outkast video, "The Whole World"

The video is themed around a three-ring circus with a mostly white, middle/upper class white people who clap and sway in rhythm. Andre 3000 is the ringmaster and in each verse, Andre, Killer Mike, and Big Boi appear as a stereotypes of black culture. First, a voodoo man. Then a gangster. Then a pimp.

And the chorus is the lines:

"Cause the whole, world, loves it when you don't get down
And the whole, world, loves it when you make that sound
And the whole, world, loves it when you're in the news
And the whole, world, loves it when you sang the blues"

so, we break down lyrics. We talk about the imagery. We analyze the theme of consuming black culture and asking ourselves how much do we - as white outsiders and consumers - actually care about the artists and entertainers. Do we care. Or do we just want to be entertained and that's it. They make sounds. They make the news. They sing the blues. We all love it, watch it.

But do we care? And if we say we care, how do we show it?

Anyway, here is the video - the song is incredible. The video is even more powerful.

The all lives matter however you want to put it kinda bastageizes the whole thing. If you look at racism in particular, while the black lives matter and tv and social media has picked that rallying point, native Americans and Hispanics in many areas are treated exactly the same. The problem, which has become screaming obvious is the absolute paramilitary police forces, and their rush to show their force and not be held accountable for anything. It’s Gone on way to long and is ingrained in a lot of the police forces cultures.
But then it also goes to a point that this country has become sick, the population is in poor health mentally and physically and viewed by government as nothing more than a labor pool to exploit.

Here i was thinking that “all lives matter” means that white people are killed by the hands of cops more than black people. I was thinking it’s a way of people pointing out that every race can be a victim of police brutality at any time. I’m not going to disagree that it deflects from the real issue at hand. It doesn’t make it none the less true though.

I just can't. It's so damn funny, but all I can do is shake my head...

IMG_20200603_093608.jpg

tenor.gif

I was just reading an article about BLM and the phrase “white privilege”. Up to this point, I thought the latter phrase was dumb. Then a person in the article phrased it that it doesn’t mean a white person’s life isn’t hard, but that the color of their skin hasn’t contributed to their life’s difficulties. I still don’t care much for the wording, but I understand it a lot better now.

Do you have a link to this article?

Here i was thinking that “all lives matter” means that white people are killed by the hands of cops more than black people. I was thinking it’s a way of people pointing out that every race can be a victim of police brutality at any time. I’m not going to disagree that it deflects from the real issue at hand. It doesn’t make it none the less true though.

But it isn't. It is a way to undermine the message of "Black Lives Matter".

Surely, anyone of any race could be a victim of police brutality at any time, however, in the U.S., all evidence points to a significant disproportion of black people being the victims of police brutality and harassment.

And, my associate pastor just posted a picture of a bible and a gun with the caption "Family, fun and Jesus".

I'm done. I guess my views are too old for this world. I apparently can't claim to be conservative or Christian anymore because sheet like this makes it so hard.....

I'm gonna go find a deserted island somewhere to hole up until 2050. Anyone else? I've got beer.

It also probably won't get as much press because it's Republican on Republican, but open racist Steve King from Iowa lost his primary yesterday. He was never shy about his hatred of minorities and took more than a few unprompted shots at New Orleans/Louisiana over the years. Nothing of value lost.

And, my associate pastor just posted a picture of a bible and a gun with the caption "Family, fun and Jesus".

I'm done. I guess my views are too old for this world. I apparently can't claim to be conservative or Christian anymore because sheet like this makes it so hard.....

I'm gonna go find a deserted island somewhere to hole up until 2050. Anyone else? I've got beer.

What kind of beer?

Disagree. This isn’t only about cops, although that is a big trigger point. It’s about systemic racism in most (all?) of our societal structures (schools, housing, etc, etc). It’s about upheaval to systems to create a level playing field that doesn’t inherently marginalize minorities.

Maybe in the bigger picture, but its clear the current protests and riots are about the police.

I am going to share something that works with my students and with my colleagues and has worked at professional conferences and presentations.

It's a breakdown of the Outkast video, "The Whole World"

The video is themed around a three-ring circus with a mostly white, middle/upper class white people who clap and sway in rhythm. Andre 3000 is the ringmaster and in each verse, Andre, Killer Mike, and Big Boi appear as a stereotypes of black culture. First, a voodoo man. Then a gangster. Then a pimp.

And the chorus is the lines:

"Cause the whole, world, loves it when you don't get down
And the whole, world, loves it when you make that sound
And the whole, world, loves it when you're in the news
And the whole, world, loves it when you sang the blues"

so, we break down lyrics. We talk about the imagery. We analyze the theme of consuming black culture and asking ourselves how much do we - as white outsiders and consumers - actually care about the artists and entertainers. Do we care. Or do we just want to be entertained and that's it. They make sounds. They make the news. They sing the blues. We all love it, watch it.

But do we care? And if we say we care, how do we show it?

Anyway, here is the video - the song is incredible. The video is even more powerful.

is this going to be on the exam?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom